1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

O'ahu: My 5 day escape (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by danska, Feb 20, 2013.

1. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I planned this trip for quite some time, having traveled for work for the last three years and only taken one vacation to NYC in the entire time. I should have stayed longer but kept the trip super affordable by only being there from Sunday-Friday.

Leaving Oregon nice and early:

8460927577_9af0fb0af2_b.
    Two suns to start the vacation! by danska8, on Flickr

I'd never been to O'ahu before, and haven't been to Hawaii since I was younger. It was a trip getting in there because it reminded me of NYC or Vegas being in Waikiki.

First night we spent in Waikiki, roaming the beach, watching the sunset, then street shooting. My gf actually really got into it that night, using the GX1 with the PL25. She has a good eye but usually doesn't like the way she captures things, I'm impressed by the stuff she got. I shot the EM-5/75mm so looking at our photos is quite interesting.

Waikiki Sunset:

8467659539_3260c9ebea_b.
    First Night's Sunset by danska8, on Flickr

And right below me a girl posing for the camera:

8484231530_c9b1fa3dbb_b.
    Random beach model by danska8, on Flickr

8484232094_a0a3bb52db_b.
    My partner in street shootin' by danska8, on Flickr

8483139259_816f20a05c_b.
    Me street shooting with the 75mm by danska8, on Flickr

More street stuff from that night to come, we got some fun photos.

Edit here are a few from my street adventures in Waikiki:

8497439297_a61dc14a99_b.
    Two trios, two boards by danska8, on Flickr

8495535737_8d65b39f1f_b.
    Waikiki Beach Bike by danska8, on Flickr

8496576116_1cb2d8f87f_b.
    Nailing that shot! by danska8, on Flickr

8510920389_f919dd2429_b.
    Eye spot you by danska8, on Flickr

8512031906_55de9ab290_b.
    Cowyboys Welcome by danska8, on Flickr

That night after our adventures right after midnight it was our anniversary. I ended up proposing and she said yes!

At one point, I thought I'd be a hermit... by danska8, on Flickr

We're Engaged! by danska8, on Flickr

We kept it to ourselves for the trip to enjoy the excitement, and not be barraged by social media and telephones.

The next day we went whale watching, but saw no whales. However we saw a big pod of spinner dolphins, which was uncommon I was told. They put on quite the show. I had to put down the camera(s) at some points and just enjoy.

8484234360_e6de0fa672_b.
    Spinner Dolphin by danska8, on Flickr

8484236158_7151b09639_b.
    A pod of spinner dolphins! by danska8, on Flickr

We visited Waimea Valley, which I geeked out at the whole day over plants and reptiles.

8487519976_400e1c327f_b.
    Eyeing Anole by danska8, on Flickr

8487514430_b4f7f66e7d_b.
    Brassolaeliocattleya Ojai 'Verte' in bloom by danska8, on Flickr

8478878647_95eb9a8782_b.
    Waimea Falls by danska8, on Flickr

8486424467_daa9f34447_b.
    Anole Peaking through leaves by danska8, on Flickr

And saw great sunsets on the Northshore:

8479861773_ec54c59e14_b.
    Waimea Bay Beach Sunset by danska8, on Flickr

A day of snorkeling and soaking some beach sun at Hanauma Bay:

8486427997_1ae1c24206_b.
    Hanauma Bay, violating the rules.. by danska8, on Flickr

That evening we could see whales blowing from our view of the ocean, which was only about a 10 degree view. We knew the next night would be ideal for going out again.

Then valentines day horseback riding at Kualoa Ranch (where they've filmed all sorts of movies/tv shows, no pics up yet from that). And then the whale watch tour.

8491646155_58d76fc5b7_b.
    Sunset Tail Slap (Humpback Whale) by danska8, on Flickr

Lot's more to come, I'll probably post in native lens threads. I shot nearly 1k frames per day. The 12-35mm and 75mm were my most used lenses. Lastly one on the way out:

8478459634_25718de286_b.
    Aloha O'ahu by danska8, on Flickr

• Like Like x 27
  2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    That's awesome Joe - great shots, I love the dolphins particularly. Congrats on the engagement!

My wife and I actually got married on Maui and went back for our 5 year anniversary 2 years ago as well. She's already planning another trip... I think she's addicted to Hawaii. Unfortunately we can't get the great travel deals like you can on the west coast, but at least it's worth the trip. I spend on camera gear, my wife spends on vacations... sort of a win/win for me, haha :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. solymosi

solymosi Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 7, 2013
    British Columbia
    Excellent photos

Very nicely done! I particularly like the Waimea Bay Beach photo.

Nice work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Nice to see you finally "purposed" your girlfriend. :) Congrats.

And I really like the images.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  5. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Thanks Jay! Yeah Maui or the Big Island for us next time. I'd like to go within the next year again, as I have some first class upgrades to use. O'ahu is just a little too populated for me. We do have super cheap flights there but both Alaska and Hawaiian fly direct to most airports from Portland or Seattle. I have a bunch more of the dolphins but didn't manage to capture any of them doing full on acrobatics. Same with the whales, I managed to see one breach but didn't/couldn't photograph it. It still is clear in my head and I was stoked to see it. We had a whale come very close to the boat and blow, and it was really incredible. Great to have all these photos but the memories are priceless for me.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    You got some really beautiful shots - terrific set! :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Awesome. Maui is highly recommended for pure natural beauty if you guys make it back out! Get a copy of Maui Revealed if you go, it's an indispensable guidebook. And feel free to PM me for info/recommendations too.

We saw dolphins only once (in New Zealand) and I got a few decent pics. unfortunately back then I was only just learning how to shoot my GF2 at the time, and didn't get the best out of it. But definitely an awesome memory, as you said. Whales are very cool also... we finally managed a whale watching tour in in Alaska last summer and I was able to get some shots of Orcas surfacing... very cool to see in person. Would love to do another whale cruise in Hawaii sometime but we have always gone in November, which is the wrong time of year for it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Nice set. Really cool shots.

• Like Like x 1
  9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Awesome, I will certainly let you know if that's where we end up going. Orcas are neat. We get a lot of them in the San Juan Islands, we plan on doing some watching this fall when they are up there a lot. If you wait until December you could probably see the humpbacks in Hawaii. I saw dozens of them in one day just from the shore. You'd need some serious telephoto lenses to get any shots but it's fun watching the horizon for them to blow!

• Like Like x 1
  10. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Haha! Nice catch. Purposed is not a bad term I guess tho :biggrin:

11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    some awesome shots Joe! and congrats on the engagement best wishes for both of you!. and keep those shots coming!.

• Like Like x 1
  12. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Nice!

• Like Like x 1
  13. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Thanks Chris. Lots more to come from my trip, hard to simplify things after all the things we did. We are a great pair, didn't let a single day go to waste, up early every day out doing stuff.

For those interested I have a whole set I've been compiling on flickr of these, you all of them should be in the set.

14. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    Great set, and congrats! Makes me want to go back to O'ahu (although, on my last trip we also went to Kauai, and I liked Kauai even better). I'll just have to enjoy the beautiful photos of others for now, with a 7 month old, long distance travel is not in my near future. So, more, please!

• Like Like x 1
  15. mono55

mono55 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2012
    Really enjoyed this set, brought back a lot of memories of my own time on Oahu. Many thanks for posting.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Beautiful photos!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Azon

Azon Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Congrats!!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Fantastic shots! Makes me wish I could hop on a plane right now. And congrats on your engagement!

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

• Like Like x 1
  19. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    EXCELLENT thread.. congrats!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Congratulations, Joe! A great variety of pics and I look forward to seeing some more. I really enjoyed the shot of the single dolphin, the waterfall, and the young lady in the water. Do I detect that a few too many cocktails caused some balance issues in the last couple? ;)

Holy guacamole!

• Like Like x 1