O9-18 on GX85 (or Panasonic bodies in general)

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sprocket87, Dec 6, 2017.

1. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Any GX85 users with the O9-18? Does the Panasonic correct for CA in JPEG or no? Any other comments on the combo?

Thinking about a UWA zoom for travel and like the weight and price of the 9-18.

2. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Had the lens for a little while on my GX85, no issues with the combo really. But in the end I went back to the Pan 7-14. Once you have something in the 14-16mm eq (I have a 16-35 for my Nikons) it's hard to get use to 18mm again.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I can run some specific tests, but I have had no issues with this combo. The pf usually comes more with Panny lenses on Oly bodies IME. O918 is one of my favorites in the system because of size and price, as you mentioned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Agreed, it does seem to be more of a Pan lens on Oly body than the other way around.

5. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Good to know. I can confirm that when I used a P25 1.4 on my E-M5 the CA seemed a bit excessive. Would be nice to not experience the reverse :)

Thanks for the info.

6. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I use it with my Gx85 as my "normal" lens. Here is a recent series with it.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  7. I never shoot JPG so I can't comment on the GX7's processing, but the o9-18 is one of my favorite lenses, though I mostly use it at its wider end. You'll want a hood as like most UWA it's sensitive to flare.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    PL25 on an Oly body is documented as the WORST offender. Wait, actually, I think that's the P7-14 on an Oly body, or they are neck and neck. Any rate, just understand the PL25 on an Oly is the first or second worst PF offender, so it only gets better from there (the O17 also has some pretty measurable PF, regardless of which body).

• Like Like x 1
  9. davidzvi

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I think the P7-14 on Oly is more purple blob than CA, but I could be wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I use a PL25 on an E-M1. I haven’t noticed PF with that combo, but I haven’t been looking for it. I have seen it with my P100-300 in the right (or wrong) conditions, such as a subject against brighter backlit background where many lenses have PF issues.

11. sprocket87

sprocket87 Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2011
    Well ya'll done pushed me over the edge... Just grabbed a used one off FM. Here's hoping!

• Like Like x 1
  12. WT21

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It is a very versatile walk around lens in good light (obviously the aperture hurts when it gets dark out)

• Like Like x 1
  13. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2012
    I recently used the O 9-18mm on a DMC-GM1 body. I was quite happy with the results. I didn't notice much in the way of curvilinear distortion with the lens. My understanding is that Panasonic bodies only compensate for Panasonic lens aberrations and Olympus bodies only compensate for Olympus lens aberrations.

14. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Vignetting and geometric distortion are corrected the same on all bodies, that is indicated by the lens as part of the m4/3 mount interface specifications. Chromatic aberrations (e.g., purple fringing) are not specified to be corrected in the same way, but the latest bodies from both Olympus and Panasonic will make an attempt at it as they see fit. I don't believe they distinguish particularly on brand on this front.

All of this is with JPEG mind you. The correction data from the lens is applied during RAW conversion, so if you shoot RAW and convert latter, the correction behaviour actually depends on your RAW conversion software.