O75mm first impressions, and doubts?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chrisnmn, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Hey guys, so I last friday got my O75mm the last one left in the store. :smile:

It was late that friday, so i couldnt play with it till i got home, so it was dark and all.

I played with it, after dinner, while on the table. and here where my problems come.

every single review on this lens, almost no one said a bad word about it, other than is a "special" lens for its long FOV. But other than that, basically says the lens is almost near to perfection.

so having that big expectations on it, noticed that my lens was hunting focus badly. to the point of not locking focus, missing it quite a lot and slow to focus. really slow. slower than my old P20. So i thought...hmm this is wrong. but didnt freaked out and waited to the next morning, where i took it out for testing in some sand castle competition in the beach near my place.

grabbed the camera and though the lens sometimes still hunts, it was able to deliver some images, and certainly the best ones (in terms of IQ) ive got from any m43 camera-sensor-lens combination. period.

also being a short tele, compresses the background a lot which brings that "FF´ness DOF and bokeh" we ALL thought it wasnt able to get with m43.

[​IMG]

This sand castle competition started at 12 o clock! so high contrast not smooth light...so i tried my best! this images are intended to be of this sort of review and doubts that i have more than "show-off" images. so bare with me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now i would like to share some 100% crops of the last two

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

right!. so from these images you might say, well whats wrong with this lens. Nothing during daylight and here are my questions and concerns to make me believe that i might have a faulty copy of this marvelous lens.

1) Everytime i turn on my OMD with this lens mounted, it makes a "clank" sound that i dont get with any of my other lenses (panas or olys).

2) During low light, afternoon, or night, it hunts awfully, to the point of missing focus. several times. again, more than my P20mm during the night.

3) everytime i put my hand in front to test the focusing mechanism makes this weird electronic sound like a "tzzzzzz" sort of hum (which, no, is not the one from the IBIS) and does it every time i try to focus from short distance to something in the back. locking focus or not makes the sound.

I already emailed the shop and they said that it was weird, but it could happen, and they would refund me, since they dont have more copies of this lens in stock, or wait till the end of next week. but i fly overseas the monday after.

any experience...or is this normal "behavior"? any help is more than appreciated.

2. Y2K

Y2K Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2012
    MA
    Yefim
    Mine has aperture noise too (that clunking that you described) and from what I read, it is normal. Some of my other lenses do that too especially when going from low light to bright light and the other way around. This is essentially what you are doing - cutting the light - when you put your hand in front of it (and you are closer than minimal focusing distance as well). The noise during turn off/turn on is normal as well; again my other lenses do that as well sometimes on my OM-D. In regards to focus hunting - it is not as fast as my Panaleica 25mm f1.4, but it is certainly not as slow as Panasonic 20mm that you are comparing it to. I had 20mm and I sold it because for me it was too slow in low light. My 75mm is certainly faster than it was, but not instant for sure. Most of the reviews point out how sharp this lens is and it is true, the resolving power of this lens is amazing. I am not a pixel peeper in general but 100% crops on this lens are sharper than any other lens I own including P25mm and O45mm. They are also sharper then a few Canon L lenses that I used to own before I switched from Canon to OM-D. I do have to agree with you that focus on it is not instantaneous in low light situations thought. I don't think your copy is defective... it is a fantastic lens but no lens is perfect.

3. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Chris, my 75 hunts a little in the dark too...since I havent had the P20 for quite a while I can't say for absolute certain if the performance was similar or worse, I do however believe it wasn't nearly as bad. I dont get a 'clunk' either.

How long are you going for ?
    I ask because you have registered your concern with the store, perhsps you could take the lens and if these issues still concern you, you could perhaps get a refund/exchange when you get back after explaining to them that the issue you had raised was still there and hadn't changed.

4. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    I haven't experienced this, but can't say I have really tested it in low light like you have... However... if you are "doubting" the quality of your copy of the lens, I always think it is best to return it rather than living with a lens you always have questions about. Not sure what your options are in NZ, but it is readily in stock at Amazon and B&H in US.

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    thank you guys for all the info. So according to all your comments, my symptoms are somewhat normal-yet-weird. I dont want my money back, this IS a keeper. so ill talk to the guys in the store to see if they can get me one before friday!!! hope Oly in Oz will ship quick!.

I gotta say though....when this lens works...its simply the best lens ive tried on my OMD yet. nothing even compares to it. again, in my experience.

6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I would have to say the 75mm needs a focus limiter switch. It hunts in low light and also when focusing up close. At longer distances in good light, it works very well.

7. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I have found that many lenses, the 75 included, can be helped along by manually focusing to rough focus, before activating auto focus.
    This is really helpful when there are two clear planes of focus, such as a dirty window, or shooting through some branches, flowers, etc.
    CDAF is basically checking if a focus move is improving contrast and it has a much easier time doing this when it's starting from something that is at least close in focus. If it's all blurry to begin with, it might go for a full sweep hunt.
    Rudy

8. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

Hi Chris,

the troube you encountered has been highlighted by tyson robichaud in its review of the O75.

*Olympus 75mm f/1.8, all it’s cracked up to be? | Tyson Robichaud Photo-blography

He was also very surprised because he heard only positive stuff about it.

He returned the O60 for similar reasons, and I experienced some hunting but not as much as he described.

I would eventually advise you to exchange your O75 for another one, as the AF problem might be inconstant from lens to lens.

NB: Great sets of pictures. #6 is really impressive with its 3D look.

9. benjimouse

benjimouse Mu-43 Regular

I'm in auckland and have a copy if you want to compare Chris. Mine sounds pretty much similar to yours tbh.

10. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I noticed sample variation in the 75mm lens after having tried three.

11. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    I get the "clunk" at power on (I'm not sure it is the aperture, I think it may be the focus group moving).

I do get the "buzz" on some focus movements.

Focusing close to the minimum working distance does seem to hunt. I run into similar problems with other lenses at their minimum working distance but with the 75 I end up working at those distances much more frequently.

I'm in very dim light right now and actually getting good focus on some low contrast targets, but it is by no means the fastest focusing lens. Interestingly, and this could be a wrong impression, but I feel the AF assist light is actually making it do worse in low light - i.e. less hunting if I turn the AF assist light off. (And again, not a controlled test so I could be completely wrong about that, just an impression I got now trying both modes).

12. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

It's easy to verify if the startup clunk is the lens resetting focus. In the gears menu find the "reset lens" option and disable it. This causes the lens to keep the last focus distance when you power cycle the camera.

13. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Interesting...THAT might be the "clunk" sound!. but then again, why I dont get that sound with any of my other lenses if i still have the reset focus option on?.

One thing is clear from all your feedback guys.

This lens, DOES hunt in low light.

This lens, DOES produce a focussing "tzzzzz" electric hum/sound when focusing in close distance?.

This lens is only "instantaneous" when shooting in day light.

is this correct?. having said all this, my lens doesnt have any problem whatsoever?.

:confused:

14. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    fantastic photos.

15. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Interesting - this lens is on my wish list because of the awesome IQ. Your photos certainly confirm that aspect, they are beautiful! But it's good to know the few limitations s that helps to keep my expectations realistic. :cool:

16. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Can I come test 75mm from you guys in Auckland? I want to see the image quality difference between the 75mm vs the 35-100mm I had lol

17. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    have it checked Chris, or try another...