O75 AF speed

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by thomastaesu, Mar 10, 2013.

1. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    I just bought one new from BH and I noticed it hunts a lot indoors. Compared to it, PL25 is much more confident, locks in almost instantaneously.

Is this normal?? I thought its AF is almost the best among m43 native lenses.

2. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

Make sure your minimum focus distance is not less than 80 cm, other than that , mine never hunts

• Like Like x 1
  3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Mine is a Little slow in lower light, however I was expecting that as it is the only "complaint" I have seen directed towards the 75mm. Where did you read the AF was almost the best?

• Like Like x 1
  4. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    Thomas
    I am not sure. Maybe because it is often compared with O60mm2.8 . Well, as long as mine is not defective. Love the IQ, a bit slow AF in poor light especially on low contrast areas, but I can live with that.

Thanx.

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    My 75mm also hunts in low light -- and that's not really the whole problem. The real problem is that it's a tele with no focus limiter. Pro lenses will allow you to force the focus range to something beyond, say, 5 meters. This helps a lot with sports and such like because when it does hunt, it hunts a lot narrower range.

All teles are subject to slower focusing to some extent just because of the long focus throw (relatively speaking) required.

I used the 75mm for a night sports shoot (and micro four thirds system don't track motion very well) and I had to work around it with "prefocusing" and a little procedure I know called "hope" when I had to AF in real time, lol. I also benefitted from a photographers greatest accessory: luck.

It's a GREAT lens -- but like all lenses it has drawbacks and the slower focus in low light is the only one I'm concerned with and most of the time it doesn't matter for me anyway.

6. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    What aperture were you using during this?