1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

O75-300 vs P100-300

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chrisnmn, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    like the title says guys, im looking to buy any of those and i would like to know all the pros and cons of both lenses?.

right now im about to jump onto the O75-300 for IQ. even-though i know its expensive.

all suggestions comments, images are moooore than welcome guys!.

thanks. :biggrin:

2. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    I'm also interested. If you jump in Chrisnmn, let us know how that 75-300 works out. I have to save my pennies in the meantime. :smile:

3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Panasonic 100-300mm
    Pros
    -cheaper than Oly
    -faster than Oly

Cons
    -focus can be finicky at times

Olympus 70-300mm
    Pros
    -some say it has better IQ
    -smaller size
    -longer range

Cons
    -slower
    -more expensive

coming from a Panasonic 100-300mm owner

• Like Like x 1
  4. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
  5. brissytim

brissytim Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 16, 2012
    Good idea starting a new thread and not hijacking the other one. I have been looking to purchase a 100-300 for a little while now but my biggest problem is finding a reputable store with it instock at a good price.

I only just recently heard about the AF issue and it is making me reconsider the 75-300. To those with 100-300's how bad is it, have you ever missed any shots because of it? I would primarily be using it for fast paced stuff like snowboarding ect. and would hate to be sitting in a pile of snow trying to take photos with an AF that is playing up.

6. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    I used a rented 100-300 at an airshow last month and it had occasional trouble focusing on moving airplanes, which was a problem when certain planes only had a few flybys at the best angles of attack.. My other telephoto at the time was the kit 40-150, and it was much more dependable in nailing focus. I'm renting a 75-300 for the US Open next week and will test it out there to see if it's much better. For reference, I used it on an OM-D body with the latest firmware.

• Like Like x 2
  7. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Oh man.

The 100-300 is in stock @ amazon.

So tempted.