1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

O75/1.8 oil spots - tolerable?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by lightmonkey, Feb 28, 2014.

1. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    had a close inspection at my O75 lens today. its had barely 50 shots in it. noticed a group of marks on the lens - not exactly dust marks but more like little splatter marks. they look like theyre on one of the middle elements closer towards the rear of the lens.

it was difficult to catch on photo - needed exact focus, glare, and camera position:

x4tMJug.

sjUP79i.

i dont think tiny spots on the perimeter of the lens will do anything to the image. but would you tolerate this? unit was 1000 EUR after all...not exactly toy grade

2. ico

ico New to Mu-43

Feb 6, 2014
    I'd say I might not. Although my 45 mm f1.8 had one or two spot inside and I lived with that for 3 years.
    But 75mm is much more expensive, right?

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Based on some of the things posted at LensRentals.com, I'd say those are unlikely to affect image quality, but it would probably annoy me nonetheless.

4. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    new get exchange had it a while just noticed it ? live with it note when time to resell if you do will effect price if you are honest about it so might be worth seeing if it can be under warranty now would be my option

5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If you just got it, send it back/return and get a different one. If that isn't an option, then don't worry, because it has no effect on image quality.

6. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    It might hurt resale value should you ever want to sell the lens. So I would send it back if that is an option. If not, keep it and enjoy it because you'll probably never the the spots in practive.

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Spots from dust or oil will only be visible if they are on, or very, very close to where the imaged is focused, because it won't be in focus and visible any where else. This is why crud can only be seen when it's on the protective glass of a sensor, caught in the shutter or the focus screen of an SLR.

8. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I say this is the only lens in the world that has this dirts. If you talk to Oly about it, for them it would just be a miracle you got the only bad lens in the entire worldwide market. They will send you a brand new one.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    That might be the best reason to try to return/exchange the lens, if possible.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Orfeo might be right : Olympus should be keen to exchange this and remove the evil speckly 75 from existence.

11. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    dropped it off at the local Olympus office/factory thing.

they sent it back today with all those spots removed, but left a quite visible speck of dirt in there !

oh well, its not going to affect anything, so alls fine for now