O7-14 PRO or O12

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by dornblaser, Jul 12, 2015.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I have the O12, which I like, and use it infrequently for both interiors and landscapes. I wasn't interested in the O7-14 until I saw some of the images. I have not shot below 12mm before and I am wondering what the benefits, thoughts, experiences, etc., are of going wider.
  2. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Wide lenses enhance the depth of the image, the difference of distance of near and far objects. The opposite of a tele "compression".
    This allows you to compose with a proportion in the size of close and far objects that you can get in no other way.

The 7-14 also have a small minimum focus distance for wide "macro": https://www.mu-43.com/threads/77949/#post-788840

For astrophotography allows you to use longer shutter speeds without getting star trails.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

One surprising thing about UWA for me is that it works best when you get close to something. I think I envisioned using it to stand back and fit even more in. But it generally works better to move closer and fit the same stuff in, but from close up to exaggerate the perspective.
    • Like Like x 1