1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

O45 w/ ext tubes vs. O60?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dornblaser, Jul 22, 2013.

1. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I do not have the O60 macro but I like to take close up pictures of the flowers, butterflies, etc. Not true macro work. I was wondering if anyone could comment on using the O45 with extension tubes versus using the O60 macro for this close up work? Thanks in advance.

2. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Bump, anyone?

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I haven't used the 60mm but a dedicated Macro always wins. For some reason the photos that comes out of Macro lenses are more detailed than normal lenses.

Although if you have the 45mm f/1.8 already, you can get a cheap extension tube and try it out.

I am pretty sure somebody with more experience with these lenses will be able to chime in. :smile:

4. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I can only speak for the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro.
    It is a superb lens. Very sharp (even at f/2.8), and with nice saturated colors. Good for macro and also for portraits.

5. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    I'm curious to know about this as well. I struggled with this decision and ended up going for the 45mm partly because of price and size/weight, but mostly because I am more into portraits and not much of a macro person.

I do have tremendous respect for the 60mm, and I think it's a fantastic option for macro photographers, but it's hard to justify for person who rarely does macro.

6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I have the kenko tubes and the Oly 45mm. I'll give it a shot tonight to see how they do.

7. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    I'll be glad to hear as well.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 mobile app

8. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Is it even possible to reach 1:1 macro with extension tubes?

9. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks.

10. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Awesome thanks!

11. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
  12. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I have the 45mm and Meike tubes and have just sold the 60mm.

For the occasional close up shooter like myself the tubes and 45mm offer a very high value to performance ratio. The trade off is in operation and convenience. The 60mm can do any distance at the flick of a switch.

I'm sure the 60mm resolves better at close up distances but I think the 45/tubes does a pretty good job. Here's one at near max. magnification. F2.
    9017891477_bcf0913259_b.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thanks for the post and picture.

14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
  15. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I know for a fact it can, the problem with extension tubes is that you end up a bit too close to the subject if you want max magnification by using longer tubes AFAIK.:smile:

16. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Makes sense, thank you!

17. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    I never own the 60mm macro but here are some pics I took recently with the Oly 45mm + Kenko tubes
    chauchau-4.
    saurom-3.
    moskito-1.

18. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Very good!!

19. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Oooh, MUCH better image samples that I would have done :drinks:, but here's a quick slap job with poor lighting on my drafting table:

Olympus 45mm @ f4, 1/25, 26mm (both) kenko tubes stacked:
    OMD51484.

Olympus 45mm @ f1.8,m 1/100 no tubes for reference (yeah that's a coke cap)
    OMD51487.

20. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I just went through a similar decision. Why not get a +2 or +4 diopter (i.e. macro filter) for the 45? (Higher the number the closer the focus.) They're a lot simpler than the extension tubes in that you just screw it on the lens for when you see a critter. When you want it off you just screw it off. Size of a lens cap. Extension tubes require more work to go from macro to normal. You risk dust getting on the sensor and the rear of the lens. You risk dropping something. You lose a lot of light so depending on the length your 1.8 might just have become 3.5 or worse. Plus they're really tiny and cheap. Disadvantage: not as crisp of output as the extension tubes or an $80 Raynox or Canon achromatic filter, but if you just want to take macro on occasion, why not try the $10 option first?

I asked the more professional :43:s members and they recommend getting a cheap legacy macro lens. Personally, I ordered a 28 and a 55 macro for $18 and $60 each.

Here's a flower I took with the 40-150mm. The anther's are sharp enough for some fun. Here's How shallow the DOF is. You can see it doesn't really get super duper sharp, but remember, you're spending $10. These two images (one, two) give a sense of scale. Here's a quarter shot with the Pentax 50mm and same +4 diopter (I used a $1 Ebay step up ring).

Just thought I'd share with you other options!