1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

O45 vs legacy nifty fifty

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Chrisnmn, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Ike the title guys, im wondering of getting my second lens for my omd, and was wondering, the O45 is around ~$300 new, and getting a 50mm OM, FD, etc for not less than a 100 bucks on ebay (even more with the whole rise of m43 legacy lenses prices are flying through the roof) plus its respective adapter.

Before you say something, i know i get af with the O45 and not with the. Legacy one but im more like asking in terms of iq? Thoughts?

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The Olympus 45/1.8 will be sharper and have more contrast wide open than any legacy, MF, nifty 50. At least I have found that to be true compared to the 5 Nikon 50 1.8 & 1.4 lenses I have. (set to f 1.8)

• Like Like x 1
  3. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    The legacy lenses will generally not be as sharp. Might be faster. Personally, I would rather MF and use the 300$ or so difference on something that provides different usage..like say the samyang/roki fisheye or you could get a 20mm, or a 14mm..

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's not necessarily true. My Konica 50/1.4 and Olympus 45/1.8 were about equivalent sharpness wide open. At 2.8 and 5.6 the Konica was as good or sharper and had better bokeh.

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    awesome for all your comments guys. is there any side by side comparison? or am i asking too much? ive seen results from both in real world situations, and i really like how the O45 performs. if im not wrong, goes something like this?:

O45,
    AF
    Light
    Small
    $300

MF 50mm
    Only Manual
    Heavy
    Slow to focus (i know this is subjective, depends on the photographer who use it)
    Bigger
    $150 (with adapter)

Both share:
    Sharpness
    Nice Bokeh
    Fast lenses

right?.

6. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
  7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I agree, although I don't own the 45/1.8, I do have access to one whenever I want to use it. It beats all my 50mm lenses, including my OM's, Nikons, and Leica R Summicron. Definitely go for the 45/1.8, you won't be sorry.

8. berni29

berni29 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Hi

The Oly 45mm is a great lens. Much better than the legacy lenses that I have tried.

Berni

9. dixeyk

Aug 9, 2010
    The O45 IS a great lens and I think I would have kept mine if it had been able to focus a bit closer. As it was I always found that the 45 didn't quite work for what I wanted it to do. You don't say what you first lens is (I am assuming the kit lens). If I were looking for a second lens for an OMD I'd probably get the P20 or PL25 before something like the 45.

10. ryansinibaldi

ryansinibaldi Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2012
    I guess it depends on what you're willing to spend. Right now I have two legacy lenses which perform good enough for me not to spend the money on the Oly45.

My newly acquired Yashica ML 50mm F1.4 ($55 shipped off ebay, almost mint)
    and my 55mm Fujica F1.8 (dented filter ring, pretty much a mess for $1. although it renders images so nicely)

If I didn't have either I probably would've bought the 45 but instead I invested that money into a VF2 because I don't have an OMD.

Here are some recent shots with both to give you an idea. I have no doubt in my mind that the Oly is probably superior but these work well for me.

Yashica ML
    7499628284_6bc7f3c538.jpg
    Comfortable by ryansinibaldi, on Flickr

Fujica
    7171245283_0ed0b44669.jpg
    Untitled by ryansinibaldi, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    My opinion is the 45 1.8 is better, but if you can handle MF, the 50 1.8 legacy lens is pretty darn close. I spent only $45 for my 50mm and $26 for my adapter.

12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Thank you guys for all the info, its quite divided all your opinions but i guess im leaning towards the o45, because of the lightweight, af and compact size compared to a mf plus adapter.

13. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    At the end of the day, do you really want to depend on manual focus for your photography? Depends on what your goals are. I tried a couple 50mm legacy lenses with my first μ43 (GF1) and quickly decided that MF was not for me; when the Oly 45 arrived, my brief flirtation with legacy lenses was over and done. Three cheers for Auto Focus!

On the other hand, if you're a lens aficionado and want to incorporate the various special qualities of these lenses in your work, you have some workable options as described here.

14. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I'm currently splitting my lens choices about 50/50 between AF and MF. The AF lenses tend to get used for P&S situations. The MF lenses when I really want to be in control of everything.

15. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    With the E-M5's IBIS and a high quality adapter, I'd say you can get pretty decent quality with MF nowadays. Plus I prefer the feel of a legacy 50 over the plastic build of the 45.

16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Check out [thread=23123]this thread[/thread] for the results of some testing one of the other forum members did. In short, the O45 is an extremely capable lens.

17. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

There is a certain quality to the legacy 50mm I own (Canon FD1.4) that I haven't seen in pics from the Oly 45mm.

I completely agree the Oly is sharper, but that's not always as important to me as is going for a certain feel to the photo. The legacy Canon is plenty sharp and has more character - although I must admit "character" is completely subjective.

18. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I'm sure you can get even better than "pretty decent" quality, BUT....you have to focus manually!! NOT FOR ME!

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Well honestly, it doesn't matter how sharp the legacy lens is... if you suck at manual focus, the picture won't be any good.

I shot exclusively with manual lenses for over a year, and I get excellent results. I own the Oly45 now, but still shoot my manuals often. Why? Because I enjoy the tactile experience of shooting these lenses. Also I enjoy having COMPLETE control over the exact point of focus. I can never seem to get AF to focus on the area I want sometimes. That's been my experience anyway. The good thing about legacy lenses is, the price of entry is very reasonable. I've gotten some good lenses on ebay for $20-$30 bucks.

But if you have the money, by all means buy that Oly45. It is a very good lens.