O17 1.8 or EOS-M w/22

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by DynaSport, Aug 5, 2013.

1. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I know this may seem like a strange comparison, but bear with me. I am on a budget and have to be wise about my hobby expenses. I currently have an E-PM1 with the kit lens and the 40-150. It has taken me a while to warm up to the E-PM1 after shooting with a Canon 20D for many years, but within it's limitations it is proving to be a nice camera. The learning curve has just been steep for me.

When Canon came out with the M, I thought about getting one, but decided on the E-PM1 because of the price and the smaller size of the lenses.

But now I am wanting a faster lens for indoor shooting and just general carry and with the price reduction in the M, I can actually buy a brand new one with the 22f2 and flash for less than the Oly 17 1.8 to go on my E-PM1. So, I am really tempted to make this my one camera related purchase this year.

What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with both? Thoughts on having two camera systems instead of one?

2. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    I've been really happy with my Olympus experience thus far. While I wanted a faster prime as well, I went with the 17/2.8 for now due to my own budget being even more slender :)

That said, it my budget had allowed I'd have snagged the 17/1.8 happily and would do it over buying into Canon again. I have no doubt the Canon is a good camera and would do all you wish it to; I've used Canon rangefinders and FD & EOS slr's over the years so I know they're good quality cameras. But I have made my investment in m4/3 and haven't yet found a reason to regret it.

Now, had the M been available at it's current price in December 2011 when I bought my E-PL1? I might well be on some Canon forum right now then ;) but Olympus got my money instead.
  3. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    I'm not sure where the Canon M system is going. Image quality wise, it would be an improvement over your EPM1 but they are not selling the newest lens in the system in the US, so I'm not sure. Your Olympus is a mature system and eventually you will be able to get a great sensor in your camera body. At one time I had and EPM2 and very much liked the camera and output. With a faster lens it could give it new life. I have the 17 1.8 and love the lens. However, you might consider the Pany 20 1.7 used. It will save you possibly $200 and although it focuses slower, I think it is still faster than the Canon.
  4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm pretty much all in with µ4/3 these days and I've needed something between the 12/2 & 25/1.4. I have the 20/1.7, but it's too close to the 25 and has slow focus compared to the other lenses. When the EOS-M hit $300, I figured what the heck!?

Here's part of what I wrote elsewhere on the camera & lens:

I am absolutely smitten with the 22/2. With all the lens corrections turned on in the camera setup, there is no distortion, vignetting, CA or purple fringing and it's sharp across the frame. AND, unlike Olympus & Panasonic lenses, there's a LR profile for it: check the profile box and get a near perfect lens. The lens makes the 14/2.5 look rather poor.

It would be nice if the camera had an EVF, but then it would have to be a totally different camera, because you cant use a touch screen controlled camera when it's up against you eye. The touch screen interface works very well in combination with the rear control dial. I think it may be faster to use than the controls of an E-PLx. The JPGs are close to they Olympus and better than the Panasonic. They need very little work.

It's one real limitation is that it isn't good for most moving subjects, because of the slow AF. For a lot of what I shoot I don't need the speed and I like it a lot. The one other annoyance is after a shot the screen goes black and you can't take another shot for an absurd amount of time. In spite of it all, the camera is a keeper.

I will probably get the 17/1.8 at some point for faster AF, so I can use it for more subjects. I just hope I like the optics as much as the 22/2.
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Good plan, I think the EOS-M is only a sane choice if paired with it's specially designed 22mm pancake lens. go for it.

I do think you're a bit silly to compare it with an overpriced 17mm non-pancake prime from Olympus instead of the Sigma 19mm or the Lumix 20mm ... where suddenly you're not talking the same money as the Canon kit.
    Hey if you want a GOOD FAST lens buy the PanaLeica 25mmF1.4, it's not even a discussion.
  6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    The Sigma is not a pancake either and seems a bit large and is slower. The Lumix 20 is on sale for ten dollars less than the Canon kit, so not much price difference there. I have been thinking about the P20 though.

And for clarification, even if I buy the Canon kit, I'll be keeping the E-PM1. I won't be switching systems. Basically, I'd just be using the Canon almost like a P&S with the 22 glued to the front of it.
  7. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I have the 17/1.8, it's great.
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    While the Canon makes sense on paper today because of the price I'm not sure it makes sense over the long haul if you are planning to stay with m4/3s and are working on a conservative budget. I'd want all my dollars in the system I am committed to.

Unless you have a need for two cameras at times I'd maybe go for the 20/1.7, which you can find used for $250. Nice lens on the E-PM1. The 17/1.8 is a bit more of an indulgence given it's price imo, but I have never used it so what do I know? :)
  9. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    If you don't mind having two systems this is a great way to have two bodies.

Personally I need a VF. I often use my cameras just using the screen but have found many times when I can't see so the VF is a must have.

Will be interesting to see what you decide.
  10. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    I'd be worried about getting into two systems, especially on a budget as demiro says. Next you will need more batteries, more cards, an external VF etc. I'd say get the 20mm f/1.7, others had said it's a must have for m43, and when I eventually bought one used, I can say I definitely agree!
  11. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    For $299 (does it still have this price?) EOS M is really good bargain, especially for exceptional video capability, focus peaking w ML, ext mic, hdmi monitoring, PAL<->NTSC on the fly.

The 22mm @ F2 is less sharp than 20mm F1.7 @ F1.7, and both move it's front barrel when AF, though 22mm is much quieter and can do AF in movie more smoother. The EOS M have moire on the photos too which is a surprise to me.

Btw I still bought E-P5 full kit after getting the EOS M, there is some feature that is just plain AWESOME on the E-P5, though your personal milage maybe different

12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I made very similar decision a while back, except I was considering the EOS M vs. the new Panny 20 Mk II. My decision was to get the EOS M. I love the 22 and IQ, but the AF is well behind my E-PL5. I also had an E-PM1 (which I gave to my daughter) and it has a similar edge in AF. I think the EOS has an edge over the PM1 in IQ and a little bit in high iso performance, but it's a close thing for most shots. My suggestion would be to also consider the new Lumix 20 once the reviews come out and tell us if the AF is a bit faster.

As an aside, if version 2 of the M has good AF I would almost be tempted to get a new body just to use the 22. The rendering is just so pleasing.
  13. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    I have the 17/1.8 on an OMD.

I had the M with 22mm for about 2 weeks. I love the 35mm equivalent focal length, so at the crazy low prices recently I just had to give it a try. The 22mm is great, and the sensor in the M is great, but the usability of the current M is severely lacking. I find myself unable to enjoy any camera that doesn't have a viewfinder and 2 dials. I hate waiting between shots, and the M has a massive blackout time between shots. The AF is also fairly slow, even after the recent firmware update.

If you have no desire for a viewfinder, enjoy using a touch-screen for most functions, and are very slow and deliberate with your shots, the EOS-M with 22mm is a fantastic little kit.
  14. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, I haven't made my mind up totally yet, but right now I am leaning to getting a M43 lens instead of getting the EOS M, but not necessarily for the reasons everyone might think. Basically, I look at the EOS M as a free camera with the purchase of a nice lens. And I like some of the features the M has that my Oly doesn't, such as touch screen focus and capture and from the demos I have seen, a more intuitive interface, at least for me.

But, it doesn't some things I am deciding I want in my next camera, such as a tilt/swivel screen. And I don't think I would be happy with the camera if it is less responsive than my E-PM1. I wish my E-PM1 was more responsive and I think something slower to focus would just make me more frustrated. My 20D is a much more responsive camera and I want that level of responsiveness again.

I think perhaps I should buy a new M43 body, but I don't know which one, and I want a new lens next anyway, so I'll have to be content with the E-PM1 for a while. I think if money were no object I'd probably just want an OMD-EM5 and the Pany 2.8 zooms. But, since I haven't hit the lottery yet, that will have to wait.

So, now I need to figure out which lens I want. I like the idea of a pancake, and I like that the 20 is cheaper, but I like fast and responsive too. I would have thought that if the MKII version had any real improvements that Pany marketing would be extolling them, but I haven't heard anything about that. I am not in a terrible hurry, but I do want to make the purchase by October for a trip I am planning. I'd actually like it in September, but I'll have to see about the money.

Thanks to all the advice and I'm still listening if anyone else cares to weigh in.
  15. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My theory on owning multiple cameras/systems is to get one system fleshed out how you want it and then think about adding something different.
  16. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    While I think it makes sense to get the Canon EOS M + 22mm f/2, just remember the Canon EOS M is slow to focus. Also, as of the moment it's not a very extensive system as well.

The 20mm f/1.7 also focuses slower on Oly bodies. The 20mm f/1.7 MKII is faster to focus apparently according to some and it is already available but costs as much as the 17mm f/1.8.

I have the 17mm f/1.8 and I think it's awesome!! :smile:
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    There is a nice used e-pm2 in the market section.
  18. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    As long as they keep making lenses and new bodies, I don't think I'll ever have a system fleshed out how I want it.
  19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I'll keep my eyes open for an EOS-M & 22mm and if I find one for £260 I'll buy it. Great!

Edit: I just looked and cheapest price is £450 ... so that's out!
  20. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    It would be tough to pass up an M with 22 for close to the price of the 22.

I have a hunch that the EOS-M2 is going to be a much more desirable body than the original "M".

Moving forward, Canon is not a player I would count out of the mirrorless market. I'm especially interested in seeing what the third generation of the "M" looks like. Add a few more exceptional lenses to the system and at that point, Canon may be a VERY strong mirrorless contender! We will have a couple of years to wait on that. But time passes ever-so-quickly. At that point, Canon, Sony, and Fuji may swallow m4/3 hook, line, and sinker. Not a problem for photographers, however, we will adapt to the latest, greatest technology and get over it with the passage of time.