1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

O14-42 EZ - I tried to make it hunt for focus

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dancebert, May 24, 2014.

1. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    Two photos, two lenses. First is O45 f1.8, second EZ at 14mm. Both 1/6th at f5.6, 1600 ISO, hand held. No photo from the EZ at f5.6 because it hunted. Crop is < 100% because I'm showing shooting conditions, not demonstrating image quality.

low light 45mm.

low light ez at 14.

Neither lens was able to focus on the wall to the right of B or on the 90 degree angle at B.
    Both could focus on the 90 degree angle at A, but the EZ focused at 14mm and not at 42mm.
    The 45 and EZ at both 14 and 42 could focus on the edge of the window screen above the handle.

Ah Ha! It hunts. So what? The EZ is a moderate speed pocket sized lens. That it's able so shoot useable images in such low light probably exceeds most users needs for the lens. I don't have a different kit zoom to test for hunting. Is it safe to say the larger, heavier kit zooms don't hunt in these situations but when on a GM1 they don't fit in a back pocket? A larger lens not being pocket sized and the pocket sized EZ hunting are not bugs, they're features.

2. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    I forgot about this thread. 503 views and zero replies. Would any reader comment on why they didn't comment?

3. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Perhaps because they were not interested enough to reply? (For me I just did not notice the thread and I usually do read ones about the EZ pancake.)
    I have had mine since it was introduced and have never had a "hunting" problem anywhere in the zoom range, but then again I don't try to setup a situation to "make it hunt for focus".
    As far as you "B" area of the photo, not surprised as there is very little contrast between the two sides of the edge for an AF system based on Contrast Detection to actually DETECT something.

4. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    I did it to see what testers could have meant by 'low light' when they concluded the EZ hunts in low light. After getting the P14-45, I looked for natural outdoor light where the EZ hunted and the P14-45 didn't. Couldn't find one which gave consistent results. Yet when researching the P14-45 I never saw a mention of hunting in low light.

I included that for 2 reasons: 1) Some pedant would ask why I didn't, 2) So I could show, with tongue in cheek, the O45 hunts in low light.

5. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I would expect all contrast detection based AF lenses hunt on B in low light. Also depends on how big AF box you're using. I don't have zoom lenses for u43 anymore, so can't verify, but what I remember Oly 14-42 kit zoom hunted quite frequently in low light.

6. dancebert

dancebert Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2014
    Hua Hin, Thailand
    And yet the reviews I saw, and the people who post advice here based on such reviews, say the EZ hunts in low light, without mentioning other kit lenses.

7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I expect that's usually just a lazy review comment. It's a f/3.5-5.6 lens, they basically all do that. It doesn't matter what you stop it down to, it's always performing AF wide open, at f/3.5 for 14mm and f/5.6 for 42mm. That's why it hunts so badly at 42mm but not much at 14mm. The 45mm will be doing AF at f/1.8 so it will have a bit of an advantage.

I just did some quick testing in a contrasty but dark scene (my messy kitchen), lit only by light from an adjacent room, so it's metering at f/6, 1/2s, ISO3200. At 45mm, the O45mm at f/1.8 was best, followed by the O40-150mm at f/4.1, followed by the O12-50 at f/6 (which generally failed to focus). At 25mm, the difference was much more clear cut, with the PL25 at f/1.4 clearly outdoing the O12-50 at f/5.1 (which again, generally failed to focus). It was dark enough, however, that even the f/1.4 lens had trouble focussing in many areas.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Unfortunately most of the "kit" lenses (don't consider the 12-40 which came in a "kit" with the EM1 a "kit" lens) will have some difficultly in low light because of their slow aperture range. Not surprising, though from what I have seen the EZ seems better to me than all the other Olympus kit lenses I have had over the years - and there were too many to count. (Can't comment on the Panasonic versions as I have never had one.)