1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

O-MD sold Gone back to an EP3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Robstar1963, May 20, 2012.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi. My first entry despite registering about a year ago having been an avid reader of the forum and it's threads in the interim.

I pre ordered a black Olympus O-MD thinking that it was going to be everything I needed in a Micro Four Thirds Camera (all the best bits that Olympus have always had plus the built in viewfinder previously only available with Panasonics)
    Having tried the O-MD for a day and about 500 actuations I decided that owning it did not excite me the way I expected it to or at least not to the degree required to justify the outlay
    It's a great camera but after some consideration I couldnt justify keeping such an expensive camera when I could have an EP3 for a third of the price (at current eBay prices) which was perfectly adequate for my needs
    Whilst waiting for the O-MD to arrive I was tempted by a mint silver EP3 at £320.00 - having sold my previous black EP3 in anticipation of the O-MD
    There is something intangible about the EP3 that the OMD hasnt got.
    I also find the EP3 more comfortable to hold. (I have large hands)
    I also found myself squinting in order to use the viewfinder of the O-MD in comparison to using the VF2 on the EP3
    I also still like the ability to use the EP3 without the viewfinder occasionally which with a pancake makes it nicely pocketable
    I realise that the low light ability and other features of the OMD are superior but for most everyday conditions I use my camera in the EP3 is perfectly adequate especially at a third of the cost
    I also find that I am much happier to use a camera that has only cost me a reasonable amount rather than one which has cost me £1000 which I am scared to use without extreme caution in case I scratch it etc
    I don't know if anyone else would have similar feelings but anyone thinking about buying an O-MD might wish to consider long and hard as to whether they actually need the very latest and very expensive camera when perhaps a 'merely' very good camera such as the EP3 or Panasonic G3 will serve them well enough.
    I sold the O-MD last week on eBay for £865.00 and am now back to using the silver EP3 (the silver EP3s are the ones to have)
    I have just fitted the larger ( more rubberised ) grip which I would recommend. It is much 'chunkier' than the standard grip and provides a much better hold and grip - your middle finger sits very nicely and makes one handed grip much more secure
    (I will have a 12 - 50 and a battery grip set to sell from the O-MD)
    Rob

• Like Like x 11
  2. billhuegerich

billhuegerich Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 27, 2011
    Speaking for myself, I don't think a day is nearly long enough to learn a camera and get used to it. But, if the EP3 meets your needs and you are happy with it, then perhaps you didn't really need the OMD in the first place. The "feel" of a camera and how much you enjoy shooting with it are very important in the buying decision. These cameras are all good enough that, unless you require specific features or capabilities of one camera over another, we should be able to take great images with any of these models that we prefer. That being said, I'm still trying to move some of my less used equipment to buy an OMD to compliment, not replace, my awesome EPL2. :)
    Bill

3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Blasphemy!!

Kidding aside, I own the E-Pl1. I don't quite take enough photos to call my self an amateur photographer. But I do try every chance I get. I was thinking about e-pm1 because of its size. I have 14mm, 20mm and 45mm primes along with couple of other zooms. I love the size of the e-pm1. In addition except for the OM-D, prices for rest of the Olympus mu-43 cameras are really affordable now.

BUT something about the picture quality prevent me from buying any other camera except the OM-D. I don't know if anyone else can confirm my feeling. But the images look a lot sharper/detail than rest of the Olympus mu-43 cameras. I am not talking about pixel peeping but looking at regular size on computer screen. Panasonic has had that sharpness/detail look in the GH2, G3 and now the GX-1 for some time now. But I like the jpeg output of the Olympus so I always held back.

Coming from E-Pl1 i know handling means everything because e-pl1 doesn't really have best of handling. lol So e-p3 checks the handling requirement really well but do you notice the difference in sharpness/detail in images between e-p3 and OM-D? Am I the only one?

With the new stabilization of the OM-D along with the visually sharper/detailed images, the capabilities are pretty much unmatched to the rest of the mu-43 cameras IMO.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Robstar, your post makes infinite good sense. I wouldn't quite go so far as to call what I have buyer's remorse. But the price difference between the E-P3 and the E-M5 doesn't come anywhere close to matching the performance difference. The E-P3 is a TON of camera for the price (especially on the used market).

You can enjoy and grow with that E-P3 for years to come.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Congratulations...

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I see where you are coming from. I made a similar choice when I decided to go for a GH2 over and OMD. I have nothing against the OMD but a combination of price and the GH2 giving me what I need made a lot more sense to me. The E-P3 is an outstanding camera and i can totally see where it might suit someone's needs more fully than the OMD. Congrats on the E-P3. When I had an e-P3 I loved the larger grip. It made a huge difference in handling.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Wise choice - the best camera to have is the one you'll actually use, and not be afraid of using. For me, the E-M5 was the first mu43 camera that has image quality that comes close (but does not match) my DSLR system - close enough that it's more than enough camera for the majority of my shooting. If the E-P3 does that for you, stick with that.

Regarding costs, one of the wisest investments I made for my peace of mind while traveling was replacement value insurance on my photographic gear in case of theft, loss or damage - what's the point of owning all the equipment if you don't take it when you visit exciting places?

8. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I too was initially less than thrilled with my new OM-5 for a couple of days.However, I am now totally sold on it.I have gotten used to it's ergonomics and menu, and am thrilled with it's output and tilt screen.It definitely takes more than a day to get used to any new camera.Perhaps it was just not a good fit for you. That is what ebay is for.
    I am also actively looking on ebay for a silver E-P3.My old E-P1 just does'nt cut it anymore.I occasionally like to carry two bodies and I want the fast shutter and better screen.I have not seen them selling for under around $550. That is more than half the cost of the OM-5.

9. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Selling the O-MD and 'making do' with the EP3 also means that I can keep all my lenses. I have the 14mm Panny, the 20mm Panny, the 45mm Olly and have just bought a Panny 8mm fisheye at a very good price with the cash leftover !
    Having a nice choice of lenses is more valuable to me than having the 'ultimate' body
    Rob

10. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I understand your point of using the camera you like, but to be fair if one compares today's new price at B&H of an EP3 at $899 with 14-42mm zoom to the new price of the OM-D with the same less at $1,099 they are only $200 apart and if you add the VF2 at $249 the EP3 costs more.

• Like Like x 5
  11. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Robstar- I echo your sentiments and those of others on the thread. I actually cancelled my E-M5 preorder, and used the money I saved to get the Oly 45 and a brand new E-P2 body (the latter for $225). I like the look of the Pens, they are echoes of the original Pen F, which I personally think is one of the best film system cameras ever. For my kind of photography, i dont always need blazingly fast AF. And while handling of the Gen1 Pens is not the best out of the box, it's nothing that a $10 Flipbac grip can't fix( I've got them on both my E-P1 and P2). Enjoy shooting with your P3. Look forward to seeing more stellar images from you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Redridge

Redridge Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2012
    Same here, canceled my omd .... I think olympus missed the boat on shipping these things. Spent the money on a 7-14mm instead. Good glass are always the better choice.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    I haven't ordered an E-M5, but that's not because I don't want to. It's because I can't afford it, and my E-P1 isn't broken. One day, both of those restraints will be gone.

14. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Of course I omitted to include the cost of the VF2 in my cost comparison. With the VF2 on top of the price of a used EP3 the O-MD would be twice the price to 3 times which is a more realistic comparison but still significant.

15. 250swb

250swb Mu-43 Regular

It is what happens when tyre kickers get a sudden surge of adrenalin, they buy something instead of just kicking the tyres and picking faults. Buyers remorse, the curse of the retailer.

Steve

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Refurbs are now $579 USD with 14-42 or 17mm - which now makes the E-P3 a steal....:smile:

17. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I did a very similar thing last week, I had sold up my Nikon DX kit and ordered a D700 but when it came to take delivery I realised that the sheer cost of the body and suitable lenses would massively outweigh any pleasure I would get from it. So I bailed.

Already owning an E-P1 + 17mm, on a bit of a whim I bought a used E-P3 on Friday and I'm absolutely delighted with it. I've been using it this weekend with a 57 year old collapsible Summicron and I haven't enjoyed taking photos so much for years.

18. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    The more I use my E-M5, the more I am astonished at the IBIS and how much it extends my photo envelope by delivering the probable from the impossible.

I have to have a viewfinder in order to critical focus fast MF glass and you can never have enough dynamic range.

We are all different and I am glad the EP3 suits your needs, but I would find it wholly inadequate.

19. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    Wholly inadequate sounds a little strong. Are you saying that if the E-M5 didn't exist, you couldn't use the E-P3? What were you using previously?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I've thought of getting an E-P3 for a second body to replace my much loved E-P2. In the end the difference was not enough to justify it. Since I'm absolutely in love with the E-M5, I'll probably wait and get a used or factory demo of another body of one when they start showing up -- and given the life cycle of digital cameras, I doubt I'll have to wait a year.

But I always say it's the camera that makes you want to pick it up and shoot that is the winner. For me that is definitely the e-M5. I haven't been shooting as much in ages.

• Like Like x 1