O-MD E10 - What are the must haves (newbie alert!)

Galengwath

Mu-43 Regular
A wrist strap is always good. Besides memory cards and batteries, I wouldn't dream of not owning a fast prime or two. I usually take my Oly 25mm and 45mm with my M10, and love the kit. And yet, until you're quite used to the camera, stick with the lens you have.

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Yeah, I know people report issues but I think I like my 20mm more now on my EM10 than I did before. Plus it makes a sweet overall package, as others have said.

quatchi

Mu-43 Veteran
In terms of non lens items:

• additional battery
  • SD cards
  • remote
  • tripod
  • filter (or step up rings to use your old)
  • camera bag
(pretty much the same gear as for your old DSLR - nothing special...)

As a camera bag I can recommend the Think Tank Retrospective 7. My m43 gear feels natural in it and it also fits a tablet (iPad).

gengo

Mu-43 Regular
I just bought this camera.

I hope this doesn't come across as an attempt to derail the thread, but I have what I think to be a related question:

What are some "in camera" things that need to be done after starting?

I know enable the Super Control Panel, but what about setting max ISO, or other things like that?

As for on topic, here is what I have:

P14 f2.5
O14-42 II R
O40-150 R

Should arrive today, O12-50

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
I just bought this camera.

I hope this doesn't come across as an attempt to derail the thread, but I have what I think to be a related question:

What are some "in camera" things that need to be done after starting?

I know enable the Super Control Panel, but what about setting max ISO, or other things like that?

As for on topic, here is what I have:

P14 f2.5
O14-42 II R
O40-150 R

Should arrive today, O12-50
I have not done a whole lot of customizing either, but one thing I did do is change the functions of the front dial and back dial in Aperture and Shutter mode. It was just a lot more comfortable to me that way.

Which, by the way, those dials are sweet compared to using my EPL2. That alone was such a great upgrade for me.

manju69

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
I have not done a whole lot of customizing either, but one thing I did do is change the functions of the front dial and back dial in Aperture and Shutter mode. It was just a lot more comfortable to me that way.

Which, by the way, those dials are sweet compared to using my EPL2. That alone was such a great upgrade for me.
Yep-I second that, the best and first change I made. I also set the movie button to be the AF/MF switch.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

billbooz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
William H. Booz
John, most things have been mentioned, but here are a few others: a wrist strap (I hate shoulder straps), but if you do need a shoulder strap - as I found I did - get one of the sling strap types. I went with the BosStrap set. The "tail" that connects to the body at strap loop (thus not obstructing your flash mount) can serve as a wrist strap and the sling shoulder strap easily attaches and detaches from the tail. I was/am also a Canon shooter (60D) and realized I needed a strap when I wanted to carry both my 60D and E-M10 when shooting an event. After I did this a few times, the Canon stayed home, but still nice to have the strap sometimes!

I also got the grip for the E-M10 and love it. Makes it more secure when holding in your hand when not shooting and gives you extra "heft" on the body when shooting. IMO it doesn't oversize the camera, but really improves the handling of it.

I've shot Canon for years (since '72) and have never owned as many lenses for them as I now have for my E-M10! They're small, light, and render great quality images at an affordable price compared to Canon. I finally broke down and bought a used (through Amazon) Olympus 12-40mm, f/2.8 Pro lens and love it. Olympus is currently running a $100 off deal in the US which brings a brand new one to $899. Worth every penny and the most expensive lens I've ever purchased. I generally tend toward the cheaper ones. I got a used (eBay) 17mm, f/2.8 instead of the f/1.8 because it was more in my price range. Would be nice to have that additional stop+ of light! but I'm happy with what I have.

I bought a used 40-150mm to get more reach and, though I love the lens, it wasn't quite enough for what I wanted to shoot. So, went for the 75-300mm II. Amazing lens!

As you can tell, John, I've fallen in love with m4/3, especially my beautiful little E-M10! I have written extensively about my conversion, obsession with bags and straps, and the amazing customization possibilities on my blog: http://www.infotor.com/blog/category/mft/.

Jeff1:1

Mu-43 Regular
Op Tech Bin strap - short length and little loops, goes with the small size of the EMx series cameras.
Panasonic 45-175mm lens - fixed length (doesn't extend), a small zoom lens in this range.
As for batteries & cards - get used to how long they last & how many pictures fit, then decide if extra is needed. Topping off battery before going out (even a half hour charge) helps.

JohnN

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks guys.

That Op Tech Bin strap looks interesting - I too usually go for a hand strap but I can't see me going for one on this camera as I like it light - what brings up a question about the grip - when its on doesn't it almost make it as big as a DSLR?

It turns out the O-MDs work with Canon flashes (bonus!! only in M mode but thats fine) - also the wireless extenders work too :)

Well so far I've picked up:

2x spare batteries - link - so far seem fine
Small shoulder bag - link (on its way)
Fotga Adapter for Canon EOS Lens to Micro4/3 - link (on its way)
OM to M42 Adpater (for the below when they arrive) - link

Plus these two for £75 - should be here tomorrow
Olympus Zuiko 28mm f2.8
Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.4

Should be interesting playing with manual!

billbooz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
William H. Booz
I've tried several wrist straps including one from OP TECH, but have finally settled on the BosStrap mentioned above. Sturdy with excellent connection to camera, yet light and it doesn't get in the way when accessing camera controls.

Grip does not make the camera much bigger, John. Definitely way smaller than even a dSLR model from the Rebel line. Overpriced, IMO, but definitely worth having. After several G+ friends recommended it to me I had a chance to hold an E-M1 which has a built in grip. That convinced me that that "feel" on the E-M10 would be good and also helpful.

JohnN

Mu-43 Regular
Sadly the BosStrap is really expensive over here, even via eBay - does look good though (although the clip looks a little worrying) - I'm used to the Black Rapid for my DSRL + 400mm and its a great way to carry, much better than a strap - I couple that with a hand grip and its quick and light.

Swandy

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks guys.

That Op Tech Bin strap looks interesting - I too usually go for a hand strap but I can't see me going for one on this camera as I like it light - what brings up a question about the grip - when its on doesn't it almost make it as big as a DSLR?

OM to M42 Adpater (for the below when they arrive) - link

Plus these two for £75 - should be here tomorrow
Olympus Zuiko 28mm f2.8
Olympus Zuiko 50mm f1.4

Should be interesting playing with manual!
I also got the OM to m43 adapter and while I don't have the Zuiko 28mm (too similar a focal length to what I had covered by my m4/3 lenses) I do have the 50mm/1.4 and love it. Attached photo is of our grandson using that lens - I know the body was not the EM10, but definitely the EVF makes this much more fun.

Attachments

phinix

Mu-43 Rookie
What I would suggest for E-M10 is:

- extra grip
- strap - I picked Cam-in - Navy Blue
- extra battery
- Custom SLR C-Loop

Lens:
17mm 1.8 (Pana 20mm 1.7 is too sloooooow for E-M10 - I had it and couldn't stand the slowest AF ever)
45mm 1.8
Tamron 14-150mm new lens or Pana 14-140 Mk2

Good filters, ND8 and CPL.

Real Name
What Is Real Anyway?
Yeah I keep looking at the grip too, but just on general pinciple I have a hard time spending 60 bucks on a glorified hunk of plastic. ;)
There is a fair amount of metal in the grip. Now that I have had mine for over 5 months, I would say that it is an essential piece of the O-M10 for me.

billbooz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
William H. Booz
Sammy, I'm with ya, but agree with Harvey, it is worth having (maybe not worth $57+, but worth having) as it really makes the camera feel better and more secure in your hand!

phinix

Mu-43 Rookie
Grip is 100% necessity. It has a lot of metal in it and adds a bit of a weight to the camera. Feels great in hand. I spent £50 on it. Very expensive but I wouldn't be able to work without it now.

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Yeah, I bet it's great with the larger lenses (have only been mainly using the 20 and the 45 since I got it). It's on the "list" but that doesn't mean I have to like it, haha.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom