O-MD E10 - What are the must haves (newbie alert!)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JohnN, Aug 10, 2014.

1. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014

Well I only got my M10 yesterday with the (non-pancake) 14-40 kit lens.

I've nicked one of my SLR's old mini bags but even in that its rattling round :smile: - really loving the small size.

So given my very new (to mirrorless) state what would you guys biggest are the things you just couldn't live without (with any luck I'll have some for my DSLR side).

I might as well apologise in advance though - I may ask some sill questions - I may know Canon pretty well but all this is just so new to me - in fact I wasn't 100% sure which mount the M10 was on at first!

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Camera, battery, lens, media, and sometimes a flash. Often, I'm roaming around without even a bag... just an EPL1 + lens.

Of course, everyone has a different list of must have items but I don't necessarily believe that that list really changes from one type of camera to another; much less DSLR to Mirrorless.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Get a spare battery or two, as many cards as you need for a good day's photography, then get out and take lots of pictures.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Cool, nothing major so far - I've two batteries on route and a few cards kicking about.

No doubt in time I'll find out whats "the lens" to have for this or that, although I it does seem that people use lens for all sorts of systems and mounts - much more so that I'm used to.
  5. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    I'd say flash and a tripod. Those two things I never bring with me, but always wish I had.
  6. randyspan

randyspan Mu-43 Veteran

May 24, 2014
    New Hampshire, USA
    Randy Spann
    I like the 9mm bodycap lens. For only $99, this superwide should be on any lens list.
  7. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2014
    depends on the kind of shooting you do.
    If on a budget, I'd look to hook up with the M.zuiko 40-150 f4-5.6 zoom lens, pretty compact and will extend your reach if you do a lot of telephoto shots, and they can be had for around $99 to $150 if you look hard enough.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    I would get a fast prime. The Panasonic 20mm 1.7 is a great lens to play with. A little slow to focus sometimes but the IQ is worth it.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. usayit

One way to approach is to examine what you shot with the most with your previous Canon system.

For many, the 24-70L and 70-200mmL were their priority use lenses... As such, the 12-35 f/2.8 and the 35-100 f/2.8 panasonic is a natural progression.

But in the mean time, I'd say just go out and shoot .. have fun.
  10. mu43nik

mu43nik Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2014
    Wokingham, England
    How about an adapter for your SLR lenses
  11. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    As others have said - first the batteries/memory cards and go out and shoot and get comfortable with the camera itself. The kit zooms (I have the same 14-42IIR and the 14-42EZ Pancake) are very good - but this is coming from a non-pixel peeper.
    Then go over the shots that you took the most with your Canon stuff and see what focal lengths you used the most. There was a suggestion of the Panasonic pair of the 12-35/35-100 which are both great lenses - along with the Olympus 12-40 and for forth coming "pro" version of the 40-150 - but if you are enjoying the EM10 because of its much smaller size and weight, you might feel (like me) that they are too big/heavy to be comfortable. Hence the suggestion for the Olympus 40-150 - great size/weight/IQ for the price.
    You also might pick up a nice prime lens - there are many to choose from - and just about all are faster lenses as far as aperture than the kit lenses. I had the early version of the Panasonic 20mm/1.7 and loved the IQ but the slow AF (especially in dim situations) drove me bonkers. Tried the Panasonic 14mm/2.5 for a while - and it's AF was a big improvement - but ended up with the Olympus 17mm/1.8 which while a bit bigger than any of the pancakes, the IQ and AF speed are great.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    The 20mm Panasonic lens is magical - yes, I know it is a little slower to focus than other m43 lenses - but it is super sharp, fast at f1.7 and is a nice all round focal length. Plus, it makes the camera quite compact being a pancake lens. :thumbup:
  13. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Second the pana 20mm, it is a very good lens. But the oly 45mm is absolutely mandatory;) One cannot go wrong with that one. It has it all: Small size, excellent sharpness, virtually no CA, smooth, beautiful bokeh, and cheap! For me it embodies the virtues of micro 4/3, and was the lens that put the final nail in my coffin of DSLR's...

Congrats with the new camera, enjoy:)

Patrick K
  14. usayit

Lol.... 12,25,45,75 and the 60 could be seen as "minimal".... Maybe not bare minimum... Though

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app
  15. dombi

dombi Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    I purchased the 14-140 (Panasonic) and I couldn't be happier with it. It is the perfect lens for my trips.
    This is the lens that I use the most.

I also have the 20mm 1.7 pancake lens from Panasonic, which is an excellent performer in low light conditions.
    If I need something wider, I use the 9mm body lens cap from Olympus.

I also have an extra battery.
  16. craftysnapper

craftysnapper Mu-43 Regular

As for additional lenses If your a people guy John I'd say the 45mm f/1.8 is must and best bang for buck image quality wise.

but that's just me
  17. JohnN

JohnN Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I did consider an adapter (and may yet get one) but the bit I'm enjoying most is that its small and light and the body isn't really the problem with SLRs its the lens - still I do have some good lenses so I might anyway.

Main lenses wise I tended to use the 135L and 400L - unless I've really misjudged what the CSC can do I'll not be doing birds in flight or fast action so the 400 doesn't matter all that much - I could see a fast prime on my list though so thanks all :)

Edit: I didn't see page two until just now - thank you all very much!

I see that the popular choices are still the standards length wise 50mm, 85mm and the 70-200mm (in 35mm terms), makes sense and again thanks all for pointing to specific lenses - that'l lbe a great help later when I lok to expand.
  18. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    May have already been mentioned (and I am as guilty as the next person) but before you go out and buy loads of different bits, lenses etc.....

.... get to know the camera and lens you have now - explore all the features and settings, experiment, learn all the button placements without needing to look and work out where you have gaps - if any.

Only when you have decided what m43 can and does bring to your table should you then fill any gaps with more gear.

Kill joy ? Yes, but you know it makes sense :2thumbs:

(Rushes off to take some of his own medicine)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. gpburdell

gpburdell Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2014
    My advice is just go out and use the camera until you figure out where you're being limited, and THEN make the appropriate purchases to solve those limitations.

Read the manual thoroughly, use and learn your camera, then buy what things you need.

BTW, I don't know why people are suggesting bunch of cards. A $21 32GB card holds well over a thousand images. Unless you have a bad case of shutter-release diarrhea, that should be plenty of storage for most outings.
  20. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Gordy wrist strap or peak design leash