1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

O-MD E-M5 Metering linked to focus point

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by YouDidntDidYou, Nov 24, 2012.

1. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Teesside
    O-MD E-M5 Metering linked to focus point

I've just discovered that my Olympus e620 does spot metering linked to focus point the default for spot metering is 2% of the centre ( after owning it for 4 years!) It's not listed in the manual but if you got to set up menu, tab "e" then exp/iso then metering then multi metering there is an option to "ESP incorporate with active position of AF frame"

so I was wondering if anyone could find out if this is possible in the E-M5 by actually switching on their camera and going into the menu (I've checked the E-M5 manual and it's not listed there)????

Olympus aren't known for removing features...

[​IMG]

2. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    I just checked and that function is not there on the EM5 with firmware ver 1.5

Frank

3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Not available on E-P1. :frown:

4. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Basic ESP Definition
    This is your camera’s default metering mode. Exposure is based on light levels at the center of the image and also the surrounding areas. Some areas are more weighted than others. Digital ESP works well for almost all shooting situations except when there are larger, very bright or dark areas in the image area such as when a building is half in shadow and half in sun.

But on the SLRs it can be set to move with the focus point, or stay centered.

E-M5 ESP Definition
    The camera meters exposure in 324 areas of the frame and optimizes exposure for the current scene or (if an option other than [OFF] is selected for [Face Priority]) portrait subject. This mode is recommended for general use.

Personally though I NEVER use ESP, neither on my E-M5 or on any of my Olympus SLRs...I don't want the camera evaluating parts of the scene I don't care about.

5. YouDidntDidYou

YouDidntDidYou Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Teesside
    spot metering is very useful in high dynamic scenes especially when you want to show your chosen subject matter in the best light (backlit, silhouettes etc) examples spot metering because - a set on Flickr if your chosen subject is in a high dynamic scene and your are in a dynamic/changing situation then it is useful to spot metering linked to focus points....

"But on the SLRs it can be set to move with the focus point, or stay centered." and Panasonic Four Thirds and Micro Four Thirds as well as the Olympus E620