1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

O-MD E-M10 Mark II Users

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kevin boyer, Dec 3, 2015.

1. kevin boyer

kevin boyer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin
    My new M10 Mark II just arrived from B&H today. I am so excited about this camera. It's replacing my Panasonic G5. I had been patiently waiting to make this purchase, and once the price went down for Black Friday, I jumped on it. I know it's going to be a big departure from the G5, but I am so ready for it. It will be extremely nice to finally have stabilization in my camera.

My question to you that own this camera centers around settings that you have come to use with your M10 that you find work well. I know this camera can do a multitude of great things, but I'm looking for some good basic settings to start out with to get comfortable with the camera. I don't want to get overwhelmed right from the start trying to figure out all of the in depth capabilities of this camera. That will come with time spent using it more and more I'm sure. The more specific you can be with your suggestions, the better I'll be able to understand them. Now, back to admiring this beauty of a camera.

2. marktegethoff

marktegethoff Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Washington, DC
    Mark Tegethoff
    Newbie here on the forum, and also with the M10 Mark II. Coming from an older Rebel (T2i), so very excited, and eager to learn.

3. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    I have the same camera! Olympus cameras can be a bit tricky to set up.

Most important thing; go to the white balance menu and turn off "Keep Warm Colors". This setting is only useful when you really want the picture to reflect some wam lights (dusk or candlelight), it completely breaks your white balance at all other times.

There's also a setting that stabilizes the view when the shutter button is half-pressed; turn that on.

Super control panel is now enabled, so don't need that. I'm sure there's more essentials, will check back in when I think of them.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. Kirkd

Kirkd New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2015
    Kirk Diaz
    I also just received the E-M10 Mk II and in setting up the menus I'm finding the four-way controller buttons are not as easy to use as some reviews indicated.

Maybe it's just my copy but the left button is almost flush with the body making pressing difficult, the other three are raised enough to work well most of the time.

Also the OK button in the center is recessed enough that I often would press one or more of the four-way controller buttons when pressing OK.

Do any of you have similar issues with the four-way controller?

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
  6. marktegethoff

marktegethoff Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Washington, DC
    Mark Tegethoff
  7. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin

Thanks very much for those tips. A couple of things I'm trying to figure out, and maybe you can lend some guidance.
    What are your settings for saturation, sharpness contrast, NR and so on?
    How do you have your stabilization set-up? I have mine set right now as S-IS1.
    I have my photo mode as "natural".

8. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin

Thanks Andrew. I'll definitely give that a good look.

9. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    I shoot RAW, so colour, saturation and picture mode don't affect my final files.

Noise Reduction DOES affect RAW, I turn it off completely and then remove noise in Lightroom (amount depends on ISO)

Sharpness does affect RAW, I leave it on zero though some say set to -1.

Stabilization I set to S-Auto. This is the same as S-IS1 (all directions) but also tries to correct stabilization errors when panning in video. I haven't seen any disadvantages to this mode, so I just left it set.

Setting a small focus point is a must; when setting focus point, press info then scroll up to the tiny box. It's more accurate AND focuses faster.

Function buttons, I haven't quite decided yet. Fn2 (the one closest to the shutter button) I have set to depth of field preview, which combined with "depth of field preview lock", shows you what the final photos bokeh will actually look like in your picture. This is good for not accidently blurring out faces and eyes when using low aperture lenses.

I had fn3 set to HDR, but kept hitting it by mistake so turned it off. Really would like a quite toggle for the silent shutter; I came from an Olympus EPL5 so I'm still learning about this camera.

• Useful Useful x 2
  10. Kirkd

Kirkd New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2015
    Kirk Diaz
    For the silent shutter quick toggle set your four-way function in the custom button menu to "direct function". by the default the down arrow will be set to change the shutter mode...

Kirk

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. kevin boyer

Sep 26, 2013
    Bozeman MT / Winder GA
    Kevin

aphasiac, where did you locate the the "depth of field preview lock at"? I can't seem to find it.

Kirk,
    I'm trying to keep the "beep" sound for my focus for now, but would still like to utilize the "silent shutter" while still keeping the "beep". Any ideas on how to go about that? Thanks again guys for all your advice. It's making this transition from my Pany G5 all the more rewarding.

12. aphasiac

aphasiac Mu-43 Regular

Oct 18, 2015
    Taiwan
    Depth of field lock is at:

menu > gear menu > D > page 2 (scroll down). It's a small picture of aperture blades with "Lock" next to it.

Stabilizer with shutter button half pressed is:
    gear menu > C > page 2 (scroll down) > "Half way Rls with IS. This setting stablizes the live-view when you half press shutter; i consider it essential (maybe it's on by default now? it wasn't on the EM5)

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    • WB - auto
    • photo - natural
    • AF - SAF
    • mode - aperture
    • ISO - auto, max 3200
    • S-IS auto

These settings should get you shooting and not thinking about your settings too much. You can fine tune as you go and as your environs dictate.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 2
  14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    @dornblaser@dornblaser, I think your WB & ISO info are reversed.

Barry

15. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    So they are, good catch.