1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

O.I.S. or IBIS?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jackthehat, Mar 10, 2016.

1. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    Hi guys,

I have just bought the Panny 14-140mm lens. I have the option of either using the image stabilisation in the lens or the standard IBIS of my Olympus E-P5. Which would you recommend? Does one perform better than the other?

2. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    You will probably end up using both depending on focal length. From what I've read, its a wash a short focal lengths, but as the focal length gets longer optical becomes better.

3. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    I must admit I am lazy and use IBIS as default on my EM5. It works well at all focal lengths for me.

The Panasonic 14-140 is a great lens BTW. I use an EM5 + 14-140 when I am exploring places on my bike and do not whant to carry a lot of gear.

4. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    One of the main disadvantages that I found shooting with the E-P5 which is not mentioned all too often is shutter shock in continuous release. We have anti-shock with single release, but there is "NO" update in regards to anti-shock with continuous release unless you upgrade to the latest bodies.
    What I found shooting with both my Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 is that, using OIS and turning off IBIS allows me to get sharp pictures in the shutter shock ranges in continuous release. My reason is that, I shoot a burst of 5 frames and in those 5 frames, one of them will be very sharp. Most well-known professionals do this with their DSLR and mirrorless cameras to get the sharpest frame. I reported this to Olympus and they finally agreed there was shutter shock with the E-P5 and it wasn't right to rely on the fix with a Panasonic lens (their competitor), which was why they released the new firmware to address shutter shock. But before the firmware release, the only work around for me was to turn on OIS when my shutter speed is between 1/30sec to 1/320sec in single and continuous. In regards in shooting sports, I use OIS and turn IBIS off so I can get max burst frame and I get sharper results without shutter shock.

The best way for you is to just do your own experiment. You have the camera and the lens and compare. With OIS on or off and IBIS on or off and shoot a lot of frames and you decide. There is no right or wrong answer in this because it is your gear and your lens. Everyone holds the camera body and lenses very differently. Some has steady hands and some don't. You need to find a balance. My balance has been; sports and continuous release I will use OIS exclusively because I get consistent sharp photos vs IBIS. But for still shots, I get better results with IBIS. Now your results may differ. If so, then go with your results.

Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jackthehat

jackthehat Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2014
    Cumbria, UK
    Thank you all so much for your detailed responses. I will have play around and see which I prefer. I use auto-ISO a lot so I will compare how the shutter speeds are selected for each type of stabilisation.

6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    When I had an E-P5 I too found that turning off IBIS helped with the shutter shock issues. However, since I don't use continuous shooting very often, the EFCS fix (0s delay) resolved the problem for me.

As regards IBIS, I did some controlled testing with an E-M5 and a Panasonic 100-300. I found that up to about 150mm the IBIS was better than the OIS but after that the OIS delivered better results. Based on that, I'd say that the IBIS is probably a better bet than the OIS on the 14-140.

7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I have other Panasonic lenses with OIS and the EP5 too, as much as I love the 5 Axis IBIS, I've found that Panasonic in-lens OIS performance to be very stable and more predictable than the IBIS on the EP5, especially with very low shutter speeds, i.e. 1/20s. With the IBIS on the EP5 sometimes I get blurred images that I'm not sure if it's because of shutter shock (I've enabled the 0 sec anti-shock). There might not be a definite answer.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    What about the combination of the OM DE M5 II and Pany 45-175 mm... OIS or IBIS?

9. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I use this lens with my EP5 and EM10, and the OIS works really well. It has Mega OIS, which I believe provides more stabilization than Power OIS (it must right, I mean it's Mega!)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Other way around. Power OIS is the newer and better version than Mega.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. larryis1

larryis1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2015
    Southern Nevada, USA
    Larry
    The Pana lens I was referring to (45-175mm) has Power Optical Image Stabilization... So back to my question, use lens or IBIS for the combination of this lens with the EM 5 II?

12. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Lens stabilization may be better at longer focal lengths, so on the 45-175mm I would probably suggest the lens IS. You could try testing it out by doing a series of handheld shots at 175mm switching between both systems and see what you get.

For wider angle shooting I think which system to use when you have the choice is kind of a wash. Flip a coin. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    I dont think OLYMPUS bodies can make use of Panasonic lenses' OIS be it Mega or Power versions . I have E-M1 n I find the IBIS is very good when used with any lens , as long as the shutter speed is sufficiently high to absorb the vibrations , for me anything above 1/125 is good .

14. JDS

JDS Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    You can, it's buried in the settings to use the lens stabilization instead of the camera's. That's what I use with my 45-175.

Oh, and I would never bet on a superhero named "Power" over a superhero named "Mega", I think Panasonic got that backwards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Let me check , have neglected E-M1 since the arrival of GX8 which I m still getting used to at this moment . Thanks for the information .

16. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Got it , thanks JDS but imho , the 5 Axis IBIS of E-M1 is still better than OIS of Lumix lens , tried on 35-100/2.8 Power OIS n 45-150/3.5-5.6 Mega OIS lenses .

17. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

150mm Mega OIS and 100mm Power OIS might be a wash versus 5-axis IBIS but beyond is probably a different story given Olympus' comments around sync IS on their 300mm PRO.

The IBIS also behaves totally differently to the OIS - the IBIS can be smoother but lags to compensate when you try and pan or reframe with half-press IS on, not really conducive to fast action.

Personally I prefer IBIS with my 45-175 most of the time, except when shooting action were I will switch to lens IS (among other things) using a MySet.

18. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    I had the 14-140 mk2 and the OIS was outstanding.

19. Jon Li

Jon Li Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Jakarta - Indonesia
    Its a pity Panasonic n OLYMPUS can't find common grounds on IBIS n OIS AS I find Dual IS on GX8 is a vast improvements over Mega n Power OIS . I hv not tried Sync IS yet n may never do so due to Zuiko 300/4 is not on my list of the future lens . With DfD of GX8 n Dual IS , I was able to get good percentage of keepers of panning shots n I think Panasonic is on the right track with Dual IS . For fast action , 4K burst options are just fool proof albeit its only jpeg at 8 mega each .

20. Fivekatz

Fivekatz Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2016
    I have one Panny lens and I turn off IBIS in the Oly and use the Panny as designed. Is it better? I don't know. On a long lens like this a tripod or at least a monopod is the best IS IMHO but the results I get from the Panny with its Mega OIS have been pleasing. The color and sharpness edge to edge aren't the rival of the 4/3 Oly 50-200 but I have had crush on that piece glass since the day I mounted it!