NYT: Tiny Camera Performs Like a Pro (E-P3 & C3)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ksn, Aug 5, 2011.

1. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Cool article.... I'm telling you, we're ahead of the curve on this stuff.
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The important message for the consumer is that the image quality is the same as dslr. For those upgrading from P&S, performance will be beyond expectations. As for professional photograpgers, I don't think that size is number one priority.
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Word up:cool:
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    The author criticized the E-P3 for low light sensitivity - I don't think he knew how to set up the camera for optimum performance.
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    he (or she) knew enough about writing, but not enough operating a camera that was new to them. I think Sony may have supplied the knee pads to the reviewer. There's NO reason that those runway shots should have been so blurry.
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Ummm.... wow. A bit of bias (and incorrect) info in the pics. Q:was the head of the fish too close within the MFD? Alternatively, CDAF would like that stick better (in the Sony shot) than the no-contrast fish head!

In the last photo, the journalist seems to identify the Oly and it's 18-200 lens (!?)

Oh well.
  8. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    I do think a pro line would work quite well for travel photographers though. Size really does matter when you're trapsing about the jungle...

The article was also very interesting. I know people rave about peaking and sensor size, but the panorama sweep is the one thing that makes me jealous of Sony. My cousin whipped that out at a race track and my jaw just about hit the ground...
  9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI

I saw my bro do that over a year ago with a p +s Sony and the results were amazing. I love panos, but making them simpler sure would be great.
  10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Huh, and the noob user here thought the m4/3 low light tradeoff was higher noise, not motion blur. =) I have been using the grainy B&W filter a bunch on my E-P2 in these situations and love the results.
  11. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    looks like Sony gave him a much shinier press packet, or something... yeah, it has some nice features, but to call an APS-C sensor "huge" and a mu4/3 "much smaller" is to ignore the basics of maths

I could not figure how to navigate to his sample pics, but his descriptions make me think he just did not get his settings anywhere near right
  12. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    It's horses for courses. I have an E-P2 which is the bees knees for some situs. However, for motion shots it is not a patch on my DSLRs. The EP-2 did however get me better results than my Canon 30D ever managed for night shots, though there were noise issues. The old Canon was faster but also more obtrusive for street shots. People just bolted when I pointed the DSLR at them, whereas, the EP-2 was treated like, dare I say? a toy camera?? and ignored.

I was waiting for an E-P3, but it seemed to be forever in the pipeline. What's more, the constant rumours seemed to be pointing at very little by way of the improvements that I wanted. So, I went down the DSLR route again and bought a Canon 60D. A wise move I feel. I'm getting some wonderful images from the Canon, and have much improved noise control over the Oly. Of course people still bolt when I point the Canon at them. But, I now spend much less time in post process cleaning up excessive noise than I ever did in my life. Indeed, the 60D is in most cases noise free.

So, if I want anonymity and lightness. The Oly comes out. Otherwise. It's the 60D. There is no comparison, the 60D outshoots the Oly. If I don't scare the subjects away with it.
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Lol. Yeah, I laughed at that "high-end fashion show" portion as well. Obviously it was improper technique, but also likely poor choice of camera accessories. It sounds like the reviewer was using the pop-up flash, and gave no indication as to the lens used. A proper flash gun (if allowed in the show) or a fast lens would have solved his problem, not a "much bigger APS-C sensor". The Sony NEX-C3 is entirely incapable of using a real hotshoe flash, and has a dismal native lens selection.
  14. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

I was gonna read it ...

... but the replies indicate it's typical NYT poor journalism. :tongue: