NY with a FishEye

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by StefanKruse, Mar 31, 2015.

1. StefanKruse

StefanKruse Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Hi all,
    Just came back from a trip to New York City. In NYC i got myself a Samyang Fisheye 7.5mm. Here are my first dabblings with the lens. I had a blast using the lens, but obviously still have a lot to learn e.g. I would like to get closer and explore the lens when used up close - please feel free to C&C.

Brooklyn Bridge Bride
    Brooklyn Bridge Bride marts 28, 2015.
    NY Public Library
    NY Public Library marts 28, 2015. Grand Central Station
    NY Grand Central Station2 marts 28, 2015. NYPD Times Square NYPD Times Square marts 28, 2015.
    Manhattan Cloudline
    Manhatten Skyline2 marts 27, 2015. Brooklyn Bridge
    Brooklyn Bridge marts 29, 2015.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Hi Stefan,

I also recently acquired the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower fisheye and have a trip to NYC in a couple of weeks. Your shots are encouraging as I hope to capture some similar scenes. Any particular tips you've picked up for shooting with the lens that you'd like to share?

3. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    Hi DeeJay - the lens is great fun and NY certainly offers a lot of big scenery to shot a fisheye. What I realized after coming home is that the lens offers a lot in terms of street photography, as it lets you put people in the frame without you having to be too intrusive. If I could go back I would definitely experiment some more with putting more of the interesting people NY offers in my frames, that is something I will look more into when using the lens going forward. Other than that I would say keeping the lens level is something to focus on. Other than that shot away and enjoy - this is truly a little gem of a lens, much more fun that I thought it would be.

Remember to share your pictures when back - I would love to see what others can do with the lens in a similar setting.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    Going to New York in May, and plan to pick up a Pana 8mm while I'm there. As i am going to use it under water, a manual lens is a bit fiddly. Thinking of buying a Samyang 12mm as well. Great fun ahead :)

5. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    The Pana 8mm should be great, but I would consider using the Samyang MF for underwater as well (if it fits my dome port) because as long as your shooting anything further away than 1 meter, everything will be in focus and you don't need to wait for AF with the Samyang. Only if you plan to move very close you will need the ability to focus - so if you intend to use the lens mainly for panorama underwater, I would choose the Samyang and not worry about AF. For the money you save you have a lot of other nice options.

6. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    And there is the thing about Aperture as well. Just setting it at f/5.6 and be done with it?

7. StefanKruse

Jan 28, 2015
    Denmark
    Stefan
    I would probably try a few settings but in effect yes - you should be able to have enough control with ISO and shutterspeed control. AF is nice but unless you plan to use the lens extensively for UW I would save the money. ON the other hand if you have to invest in a domeport you might want to be sure that your lens is fully operational for UW use.

8. torsteinh

torsteinh Mu-43 Regular

Mar 30, 2014
    Norway
    It probably will be used mostly underwater. I'm still reluctant going for manual. After all the Pana may focus right up to the dome port, so setting the lens on infinite focus might not be good enough. In any case - fisheyes are fun lenses. Got the 9mm lens cap at the moment, it get used surprisingly often and gives good result for a toy lens..

Example from the round tower in Copenhagen:
    1a75e5ff685c9f38a78005be9f6874ba.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Although I'm generally with Stefan that the MF fisheye is an exceptional value compared to the Panasonic, I think that this might be one situation where I would go with the AF lens. It's true that focusing is not all that necessary in many instances, I would hesitate to say that it's completely unnecessary. I don't know what sort of UW shots you've got in mind, but I know when I'm snorkeling sometimes the interesting fish come quite close. I also know in using the fisheye a bit that it seems that the photos I get are often more interesting the closer I get the lens to the subject. In those cases, some bit of focusing is generally necessary.

As Stefan pointed out, you're already adding the expense of the housing and dome port. While this doesn't minimize the price difference between the two lenses in real terms, it does make it a bit less in terms of the percentage of the overall investment, and so I'd probably pop for the AF lens to give myself full control which is likely to lead to a higher "keeper" rate.