NY Times: Personal Tech E-PL!, G10 and NX10

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by BBW, Apr 8, 2010.

1. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

I haven't read it yet, but thought I should post it here now: A Digital Camera That Swaps Lenses, Priced to Please in today's New York Times, by Rik Fairlie.

Happy reading.:smile:

• Like Like x 10
  2. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Thanks BB..I enjoyed this article, particularly
    "For the amateur photographer with aspirations to take great photos, this new category of cameras can be the step up from a point-and-shoot model. The Micro Four Thirds camera fits the space between bulky, complicated digital S.L.R.’s and pocketable user-friendly compact shooters."

In my case is a step or two down....but with more rather than less technology!! Thanks for posting that. I am now awaiting the Oly 9-18mm for my trip to England.....I bet the will be available there before here and if so I will purchase one over there at one of two stores on New Oxford Street!!:rofl::2thumbs::43:

3. BBW

Bill, I thought it was a pretty fair review however he was dead wrong about the EVF and clearly had not ever seen one himself.

Promise to report back with photos about the Oly 9-18mm!!

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    What kind of gets me with all of these reviews is that so few mention, or maybe just in passing, the ability to use just about any lens ever made for any type of camera with m4/3s. A huge number of people have lenses from old SLRs, before digital cameras took off, and they are completely unaware that with an inexpensive adapter, they can enjoy these lenses as well as auto ones.

I sold my E410 to a friend who wanted to go digital, but also wanted to use his old Minolta lenses. At the time he didn't know about 4/3s or m4/3s and when I let him use the E410, he was sold. I don't think he would have had the same experience with a Canon/Nikon, and even the Samsung won't be as flexible as m4/3s.

Cheers

Ray

5. BBW

Excellent point, Ray. I wanted to comment on the article but it wasn't an option on this article.

6. Bill Gordon

You have one for the pen??

7. BBW

Yes, Bill. I kept the EVF I had from my E-P2, which I no longer own. And, I will go on the record to say that I prefer the E-PL1 for its controls, as it's been pointed out the only thing it doesn't have is a shutter speed above 1/2000 of a second, which is fine with me.

I'd never give up my EVF - can't see well enough without it. I need the detail it gives me.:thumbup:

8. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    But then they might spend less money on new stuff. Like most newspapers and magazines, the NYT is in the business of fluffing up its readers' desire for more consumer durables. (Shop! Shop! Shop! And contribute your old electronic circuitry to landfill in some conveniently faraway place where only poor and unimportant people live.)

That aside, note the one-sided comment about the lack of an optical viewfinder. An author who had made much use of a cheaper DSLR would I think have noted that the view through the optical finder, while clear and bright, is squinty. I liked the sound of the new little Pentax (the colorful one) till I tried peering at the world through its finder.

9. Bill Gordon

I mis-undersood what you said....I was referring to the 9-18mm lens...

10. BBW

Aha, well, we'll both be awaiting reports on the 9-18mm lens, then.:biggrin: