'NX200 Review Up - "4.5 of 5" Rating'

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by RT_Panther, Nov 29, 2011.

1. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I knew it was you who posted this thread even before I clicked on it. lol

You really are smitten with this camera.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    See, I'm not a brand loyalist....:wink:

3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I more impressed with detail than improvement in grain. I wish mu-43 had that.

4. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    There were rumors that Oly is going to buy a Samsung sensor.

It's funny how all these old camera companies are running around talking up lenses and stuff but it's really Sony and Samsung that are making the real progress in terms of IQ at hte sensor level.

5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Interesting..the styling strikes me as..."nex-esque". Bold but perhaps I like my cameras looking a little more retro. :)

6. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011

After spending a lot of time with a Pentax K20D and K-7 - wow I hope Oly stays well away from Samsung sensors :eek:

Forgive my ignorance, but is there an external EVF available for NX? Otherwise it looks like an interesting system. Their descision to release an 85/f1.4 makes me wonder is a full-frame version is in the pipe-line, after all, that's the classic premium portrait prime for a 35mm sensor...

7. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Doesn't matter. This won't be compatible on full frame anyway.

8. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Are you sure this isn't the NEX200? That's what it looks like. =D

10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    All cameras seem to be getting 4-4.5 out of 5 these days.

When is reviewer going to say what they really think, but I suppose that would upset the manufacturers.

• Like Like x 2
  11. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    How does it compare to m43 ?

RT Panther, I like the look of the SamsungNX and pancakes, do you have this camera ?

Got any images or thoughts on the system ?

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Blue,
    I don't have this BUT......If were considering a NEX purchase, I'd have to consider Samsung due to more Samsung lenses than NEX...

13. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    photozone has been reviewing NX system lenses as well
    Samsung NX Lens Tests

None of them look brilliant, but most are decent. A pity Samsung couldn't figure out how to do lossless compressed RAW like everybody else (the 20MP NX RAW files are 30-35MB a piece).

DH

14. I'd heard anything up to 50Mb

15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Interesting?Yes.

A viable competitor to m43? Maybe. Looking at test shots with no way to directly compare them to other cameras shot at the same time, in the same lighting, doesn't tell me much.

But it seems to suffer the same compromises as the NEX system. Small body, big lenses, poor selection of lenses. No built-in EVF, and adding the external one drives the price awful high.

And no way to use a flash and the EVF at the same time.

There's certainly nothing there that says "Wow, this is a major step forward."

16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The DPreview widgets now have RAW and JPEGs from the NX200 as well.

Mostly true, but I remember when the E-P1 came out. Slow, no EVF, meh lenses and a high sticker price. There are no guarantees of course, but Samsung is a fairly intelligent company, so I wouldn't be too surprised if they had something competent in a year or two. The 3 pancake lenses are a decent start, and the ergonomics of the NX200 notwithstanding the lack of EVF are actually quite good.

DH

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Exactly why I stated that if someone is looking at getting a NEX, they should also examine the Samsung NX200..with the exception that the Samsung has a better selection of lenses.......:wink:

18. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    So, in a year or two, if I'm considering a new camera, I might look at the Samsung. Of course, in a year or two m43 will hopefully have an even better selection of lenses and even more advanced cameras. Time will tell.