Nuns Pool, Wollongong

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by PeterB666, Aug 1, 2010.

1. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Last week I posted pics of the Ladies' Baths at Wollongong. Just to the North of the Ladies' Baths is the Nun's Pool.

The Nun's Pool is one of the oldest rock pools in Australia. It dates back to the 1830s as a safe a private swimming place for the wives of the officers who looked after convicts building Wollongong Harbour. Rocks were piled up to break the waves coming into this tiny little cove at the bottom of the cliff at Flagstaff Point. The more formal wall which now forms the wall of the pool was built in 1842. The pool itself if quite small, not much bigger than a back yard swimming pool.

At one stage iron chains spanned the pool to provide a demarcation between the shallow end for 'non-swimmers' and the disabled and the deeper part of the pool. The concept of disabled people using this pool is strange as access was originally by ladder and then by a narrow, unfenced path down the side of the hill.

The pool is called the Nun's Pool as it was frequented by the nuns and students from St Mary's Convent and was used by the nuns until the 1950s. Previously the pool had been known as the Ladies Chain Baths and Lovers Gully.

This pool is now abandoned and the local council has fenced it off. The track down to the pool which can be seen on the right (if you know where to look) is in a very poor condition. There is a fair bit of rubbish at the back of the pool as well.

Photos take with an Olympus E-P1 and 9-18mm lens and the shots were taken just as the sun was about to pop over the horizon. With no cloud cover and no straight horizon, this was a pretty difficult shot to take. I didn’t use a GND as it would have adversely affected the rocks on either side. Both shots are the result of fusing multiple images via HDR.

4849441564_e410139a49_b.

4849440914_9ec6e500e2_b.

• Like Like x 2
  2. I like the processing of a natural looking HDR like these. There are no HDR halos or overly saturated colors. Looks like your effort to get there was worthwhile.

3. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks. I particularly dislike HDR halos and will even try several HDR programs to ensure I get the results I like (currently I use either Photomatix or Photoshop CS5). I also dislike excessive contrast and excessive dynamic range. My intention is to compensate for the dynamic range and create an image that matches my memory of the shoot.

Anyway, I stuffed up these photos big time having forgotten the mess that using sequential shooting with bracketing causes in low light due to it turning off noise processing. The Olympus cameras need the dark-frame noise reduction as the Olympus CCD is a shocker due to hot and stuck pixels. There is some talk of Olympus considering the 14mp Panasonic CCD for their E-5/E-30 replacement. That can only be a good choice.

Like many of my shoots, I discover more after the event and will be returing to the site at a later date so may do a reshoot under more favourable lighting and try some other techniques. I would like to be able to do a large print of these shots but the IQ isn't good enough.

Cheers

Peter

4. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi Peter,

lovely shots !
    Your coastline seems to be an endless succession of rock pools.
    Great place !

C U
    Rafael