Number of patents by companies

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by squeegee, Jun 19, 2010.

1. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I just ran across some amusing information.

Code:
    2009 Patent Total
    -----------------------
    IBM			4,914
    Samsung		        3,611
    Microsoft		2,906
    Canon			2,206
    Matsushita		1,829
    Toshiba			1,696
    Sony			1,680 
    Intel			1,537
    Seiko Epson		1,330
    HP			1,273
    SUN			  562
    Apple		          289
    EMC			  250
    Oracle		   	  208
    Source: IFI Patent Intelligence
    For those who are unaware, Matsushita is also known as Panasonic, and Oracle and SUN are now one company... not that it makes any diff.

Looks like Canon is putting up a fight with the other big guys.

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    That's interesting, but what would be even more worth to know are which players have crossed agreements to use each others technologies royalty free.

Patents are like stones to build castles; but crossed agreements are more like peace treaties and strategically better value to assess which 'group' or cartel is in the lead and how some players unite at smothering competition.

For instance, Canon is well known to play alone as much as possible and favour in-house exclusive technologies. So they have to patent a lot just to stay afloat. Cross-patenting between panasonic and olympus may be wiser and less costly in the long run.

3. BartonFlyer

BartonFlyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2010
    Bolton, UK
    Of course you do have to ask how many of those are counted multiple times - the US patent office issued over 167,000 patents in 2009, that table is around 24,000.
    But I guess that for the major multi nationals they will register the same thing in every country in which they do (or wish to do) business - could that be a 20 or even 50 to 1 ration?

4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Hi, thanks for posting. I noticed your outstanding avatar, how can I create such avatar myself ? (tic tac too...)

5. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    hahaha with a lot of boredom...

your avatar can be an animated GIF, so get a decent drawing / image editing program, make a few layers, each layer is a frame, draw each frame.

Technically speaking, I could make it a mini gallery of pictures... although there's a small size limit like 64k or something... maybe next time I get bored. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1