1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

'Number Of Aperture Blades'

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by RT_Panther, Aug 20, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  2. chlau

chlau Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    Amongst our native MFT lenses, I believe only the two Voigtlanders have more than 9 blades (they have 10). They do produce eye catching star shaped flares in night shots.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Interesting.....:smile:

4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Not sure what the author means by "sealed," but other than lenses for the Nikonos I know of none that are truly "sealed," as in air and water tight. Even the best weather-sealed lenses admit air.

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    are you sure about that?. Im just asking not being ironic whatsoever, because i know that the P20 has only 7blades and it also produces those "star shaped flares"in night shots...heres an example of a shot i did last week https://www.mu-43.com/f56/auckland-long-exp-panorama-pixel-peepers-more-than-welcome-31625/ im interested in knowing/reading more about this...so i would appreciate your comments. :smile:

6. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    If your lens has odd number of aperture blades, the number of rays are double that and if it has an even number of aperture blades, it's equal to the number of blades.

• Like Like x 1
  7. hanamichitensai

hanamichitensai New to Mu-43

Aug 22, 2012
    here's a sample of star shaped flare from voigtlander 25mm f0.95
    45BRw.

cropped version
    KB5D6.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chlau

chlau Mu-43 Regular

May 13, 2011
    What Hanamichitensai posted in his cropped shot is pretty much it. The Lumix flare is fuzzier and more rounded, but you can see the Voigtlander's is clearly defined. Hanamichitensai: you're based in S'pore?

9. kchau

kchau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2012
    Seattle
    its not only the number, but the shape of them. circular aperture blades are more effective in smoothing out bokeh than straight blades. they create a circular aperture up to f4 or f5.6 usually, and if you're shooting above that, bokeh doesn't matter anyway.

10. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    The 25mm Voigtlander produces the nicest bokeh of any m43 lens I've used and I think I've owned all of them at one point or another (new Oly 75mm not included). Subjective stuff though.

11. hanamichitensai

hanamichitensai New to Mu-43

Aug 22, 2012
    OT: yup, living here for 4 years. have you been to the gardens?

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I have a couple of high blade lenses. That newest one I got has 20 or 21. I only counted 20 but someone posted somewhere that it has 21. It's an obscure lens. I had never heard of it before and only bought it because it had so many blades to do a bokeh test.