Now what? Advice on next step

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Alf, May 5, 2011.

1. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I am at the moment in life where you notice the light getting stronger, and the screen on your trusty E-PL1 dimmer and dimmer - and composition is quite difficult if you can't see.

This is slowly drawing me to buy the VF-2, as many before me - but it is the single most stable price in the world of micro4/3 gear, ~ €250 in shops around here, and more than 200 (+delivery) if bought from trusted sellers in Europe.

With the E-P1 and E-PL1 floating around the same price (and the dp1 too!), the temptation to enjoy a second body instead of the vf-2 is great.

What would you do?
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Unfortunately it's hard to argue with what your eyes are telling you, but to me, using an EVF removes what is one of the biggest advantage of these cameras: the ability to take a lightweight, big-sensor, interchangable-lens camera and compose your shots away from your body at varying heights/angles like you can with a compact.
  3. GingerCat

GingerCat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2011
    There's no advantage to any system if you can't see the screen! Go with the VF-2.
  4. virginia bill

virginia bill New to Mu-43

Apr 13, 2011
    Fredericksburg, Va
    Lucky Penguin wrote "using an EVF removes what is one of the biggest advantage of these cameras." Am I missing something? Having an EVF doesn't mean you MUST use it all the time. And when the sun is so bright you can't see the image on the screen, you aren't able to compose your shot at any angle or distance from your body.
  5. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    I agree, using the EVF requires one press of a dedicated button, nothing wrong with that.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    If you see value in spending money on an EVF then by all means get one, but I don't see it as a "must have" accessory.
  7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    A hat makes the screen much easier to see, and is available much cheaper than any of your poll options. Plus it helps prevent your ancient skin from getting cancer :)
  8. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I'll weigh in on the EVF...I liked my VF2 a lot (and I do mean A LOT) but it does make the Pen's a lot less svelte, it can and does snag on stuff and from time to time it gets knocked off. Also I think the cost of the VF2 is verges on crazy. It's very high quality but half the cost of the camera body?
  9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I have two VF2's. If I lost one I would replace it. I "must" have one on each camera although I don't always use it.

10. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Frankly, I can see the screen of my GF1 even in the brightest sun. Maybe not perfect , but enough to frame and see focus.

And yes, the price of VF2 coupled with the weaker LCD of oly bodies is one of the reasons I haven't jumped wagon :)