1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Now this is just plain greedy

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by goldenlight, Aug 31, 2012.

1. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    There seems to be something about photographers, and I am no exception, that makes us always want to push the limits. I was all cosy and warm about my E-M5's IQ at ISO 6400 but within a day I just had to go higher, to ISO 12800. Why? Because it's there!

CATS_020_e_r_s.

OK, in this picture there is noise in the shadows; chroma noise, too, but even so it's not exactly intrusive. I've just re-checked the camera settings and exif in case I was mistaken but no, this really is a JPEG shot at ISO 12800 with the noise filter turned off.

The willing model is my lovely little cat, Thimble. She was in her kennel (yes, she has a kennel - within the 12 x 9 feet cat run we have in the garden) and this was taken as the light was rapidly fading l just before I brought her back into the house.

On a very sad note, after 4 years together we will soon have to say goodbye to Thimble and our lovable ginger tom, Pumpkin. Five years ago my daughter, now aged 13, was tested for animal allergies and cats came out negative, making them about the only furry or hairy animal on the planet she could keep as pets. Until quite recently everything was fine, but she has started to show signs of allergic reaction and her Asthma has become more difficult to control. A blood test has revealed that she has now developed an allergy to cats and on our doctor's advice they will have to go.

We received this devastating news today and my daughter in particular is distraught. However, we must now try to re-home them as soon as possible, with their wellfare very much a priority.

• Like Like x 11
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Absolutely beautiful shot, beautiful cat! A shame you have to find them new homes. Hope you can find someone to love and care for them as you do.

3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    That is an awesome image John.

It must be very tough for your little girl, as I'm sure she feels responsible for the cats having to go. Good luck in finding the wisdom to deal with the situation.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Sorry to hear about your cats and your daughter's health & allergy issues.

On a positive note that is a great looking shot for ISO 12,800, to be sure!

5. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Thanks guys, we're determined to ensure our cats continue to be well cared for, even if we continue buying their food. Once they've gone the carpets and soft furnishings will need to be thoroughly cleaned. In the meantime we'll keep them outside in the run as much as possible during the day and I'll keep taking pictures for our memories.

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    well
    i spent a good 15 seconds trying to figure out how the cat was being greedy in the photo before i read anything
    so clearly the noise in the shadows, that i still dont see, isnt a bother ;)

7. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Haha, she is greedy in a way. That kennel is supposed to be for both the cats but she regards it as hers and won't let poor Pumpkin in, even though he is much bigger than her. We have to watch out for when it starts to rain so that we can rescue him. :biggrin:

Sigh, I'm really going to miss them. :frown:

8. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Lily Bubbles Bender

Great image John. Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

I too had to part with my little kitty (Lily Bubbles Bender / Kaplan) because of my hectic travel schedule. She was deli cat that really didn't have an actual family to care for her. As a result, her social skills were somewhat odd! Friendly, but aloof and somewhat nuts. Needless to say, I'm told the deli that was her only home was eventually gutted and renovated into a clothing boutique and "Lily" was literally kicked out on her own. I ended up adopting her from a rescue shelter (who estimated her to be approximately 10 years old). Anyway, a dear friend of mine offered to adopt her into their family (including their male cat Ichabod). Lily ended up in a $2M brownstone with a backyard in Parkslope, Brooklyn (her neighbor is actor John Turturro). I visit her often and although she bolts for the stairs when I arrive, I think she still has a soft spot for me!

I'm sure your "little Thimble" will make out fine too! :smile:

Here's a photograph of her that I think says it all:

lily_1205.

• Like Like x 1
  9. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I got the same news, the Beagle or Me- somebody goes.

My wife said- it's been nice.. c ya! :eek:

Good bless Claritin. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I'm glad things worked out so well for Lily. Cats doesn't seem to develop quite the same emotional attachment to us as we do to them. They bond with us, yes, but will quickly change their allegience to another food provider if neccesary! I think it would be harder for a dog, although equally hard for us in either case.

11. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Haha, I think if the choice was between me and the cats it would be me packing my bags! :biggrin:

12. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    love the pix and really sorry to hear your daughter's allergy to cats, hope they find their family that loves them

• Like Like x 1
  13. Sad to hear that you have to give her and pumpkin up, but I'm sure that you'll manage to find somewhere nice for them. Cats have a way of becoming the main focus of the household very quickly :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    That's an excellent pic John, the clarity is superb what lens was it taken with?

Sorry about you having to rehome the cats, I'm lucky live on my own because I couldn't bare the thought of ever having to let Roz go.

Paul

Roz%2520big%2520stick.

15. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Hi paul,

It was taken with the Panny 14-45mm.

Isn't Roz being a bit ambitious with that log? :biggrin:

16. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    So sorry for your daughter's health issues and the need to find a new home for your beloved kitties. I love the photo of Thimble. May we meet Pumpkin? :smile:

17. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Here's Pumpkin:-

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  18. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    John, they are both adorable animals and I especially love the shot of Thimble -- even with the (barely-visible) noise (?). In the days of film we'd call that "grain" and it was always perfectly acceptable then. As is this today.

It's sad when we're forced to say goodbye to our animals. The bright side is that at least you've time to prepare and will be able to hear about them in their new home, although I'm not sure that makes it any easier / better.

We just lost two of the most wonderful dogs in the world within 4 months of each other, so I know that no matter what anyone says in sympathy, none of it helps. The best we can do is treasure their memories and keep on keeping on.

The cats may be leaving you, but just think how happy that fish will be!

:grouphug:

• Like Like x 1
  19. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Pumpkin is very beautiful, clearly enjoys guarding the fish! Thanks for sharing and so sorry you must give them up.

Sent from my phone, pardon my brevity.

20. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Thanks guys! Bob, sorry to hear you lost your dogs, at least we will have the comfort of knowing our cats are healthy and happy. We'll make sure they are well cared for. Although they have to go we have got time to do it properly; our daughter has been exposed to them for four years so a few mor weeks won't make much difference.

• Like Like x 1