1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Now that's service!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ptolemyx, Jul 12, 2013.

1. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Olympus received my EM5 on Monday (dead EVF). It was just shipped back via Purolator. The online repair status says:

REPLACED LCD,EVF PCB,TAPES,FRAME,WASHERS,SCREWS.UPDATED FIRMWARE,TESTED & CLEANED.

Out of warranty. No charge. :biggrin:

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Good the hear a happy story of a repair! So many times you only hear the negative ones, lol.

3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Yeah. Needless to say, I'm really impressed. :)

4. Colorbright

Colorbright Mu-43 Regular

Wow! That is excellent. nice to hear a good story about Olympus service. From some of the things I had read, I was beginning to be a bit worried that if I sent mine in at some point, it would go into "Olympus Repair Limbo" ;>)

5. Colorbright

Colorbright Mu-43 Regular

Oh, and by the way, I see you are in Canada. Just for future reference, which depot/location did you send it to? Mississauga, or somewhere else? If I ever have a problem, I definitely want to send it to the same place you did! :>)

6. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sweet!! Glad it worked out for you! I have a long thread on about US OLY support/repair aka Precision Camera... Anyhow.. it is great they fixed it out of warranty. I am starting to think i should buy additional warranty for my camera.. just in case!

Here is to you and the Canadian Oly Repair!!! :drinks:

7. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
  8. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Yeah, I saw your thread... I had the same problem with my camera, so I was expecting similar delays. Sorry you had such a bad time with Precision; a month is way too long to wait for a basic repair.

I guess Americans could use Trinitek if they borrow a Canadian mailing address, at least for out-of-warranty repairs. :)

9. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    ~1 year. Two weeks ago I noticed condensation behind the EVF glass during hot / humid weather, and the next time I went to use it the EVF was all white. It never recovered.

10. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I just had pretty much the exact same thing happen, unfortunately the EVF decided to "white out" at the midpoint of my vacation :(
    Will send it in to Olympus when I'm back in the U.S., hope the service there goes as smoothly as your experience.

11. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Sorry to hear that. I've found other reports of the same online; I wonder if it's a recognized defect, and that's why they repaired mine for free (just conjecture, of course).

Is your camera still under warranty?

12. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes thankfully, still under warranty for a couple more months. I hope it's not a common defect with these cameras, we'll see.

13. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think there is a 6month warranty on the repair. I will definitely put the OM-D through its paces.

14. edwardconde

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Question about your white screen on the evf.. Before it happened, did you notice any freezing of the camera body? Or did the camera act as if the battery ran out of juice? How were you handling the camera? Wrist strap or neck strap? Did you have the auto switching between evf and lcd on?

What i remember of the day that the OM-D failed for me was that i had it set so that the EVF and LCD would auto-switch. I also noticed that the camera froze and turned off. I thought it was a dead battery so I put in a new battery and it came turned back on. I also had it on a neck strap around my neck.

I am wondering if the auto-switching between EVF& LCD may have caused the camera to freak out.. it shouldn't..

Did you experience similar to any of that?

15. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Prior to my EVF failure, it had displayed white a couple times, but would correct itself after restarting camera. Several weeks ago, i was using camera On a hot and humid day and i noticed condensation in EVF and subsequent "white out". I let camera sit for a Minute or two and restarted and it had been fine up until last week when it failed and wouldn't come back.
    I've also had camera lock up once several months ago-I think it was IBIS related? Camera was still powered up even when switching off On switch, totally unresponsive. But was able to get it back running by removing battery for a little while, haven't been able to reproduce that issue again, so might've been a fluke.

I should also add that my OM-D hasn't been subjected to any extreme conditions and had never been dropped, or wet etc. in fact the other day my girlfriend told me "I baby my camera too much, and that cameras are meant to be used" so I don't think it's been subject to any conditions outside the reAlm of normal picture taking conditions-I think with it's relatively new technologies it's a fairly sensitive Device.
    -sorry for typos on iPhone

16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    "Out of warranty" surprised me. As EU bought OM-D/E-M5s are all still in warranty.
    The law here is a 2 year manufacturers warranty. So maybe Olympus take it easy in Canada/US in the second year.
    But it also sounds like a design defect as it has affected so many.

17. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    It's maybe a bit off topic, but you are a bit mistaken. A manufacturers warranty is more or less voluntarily in the EU. The EU regulation 1999/44/EG about the 2 year "warranty" should ensure that retailers can be held responsible when they sell defective goods and for this cases there is a 2 year period.

Seeing that you live in germany I would search wikipedia for the difference between the terms "garantie" and "gewährleistung"

18. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I see, thanks. It's the retailer that is bound by EU law.

But it still should cover the EVF case.

19. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    This is exactly what happened to mine--hot and humid day, saw condensation in the EVF; an hour later the it was all white and it never recovered.