Now that I've got my OMD, which lens is next?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by asaulo1, May 3, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I am trying to round out my travel lens kit for the OMD. Let me first say that I recently sold my 45 1.8 to finance a diff. camera and even though I felt it was tack sharp, I'm not a fan of the focal length. My current lineup is the 14-42 II R that came with the kit and my trusty pany 14mm f/2.5. I am looking hard at the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 for a 2nd prime but was wondering if the $$ would be better spent on a Oly 40-150 for those times that I'd like to extend the camera's reach. What are your thoughts?
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    It really depends on what you're shooting, but I don't see a huge value in the Sigma 30mm over the kit lens. I think you'd be more likely to use the 40-150 zoom.

That said, why buy ANY new lens unless and until you identify the NEED first?
  3. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    If I were you, the next lens I'd get, especially with travel in mind (where minimizing gear to be carried and minimizing lens-swapping is a wonderful thing) would be a 7-14 or 9-18.

Having an ultra-wide angle zoom, along with a 14-42, covers a heck of a lot of travel and general photo requirements. Nice to have one small, fast prime as well...the 20/1.7 comes to mind as perfect for that.

In the three lens scenario mentioned here, honestly, I see the 14 as relatively dispensable. I have one and like it, but I rarely use it.
  4. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Thanks for all the replies. Just looking to expand my glass within a budget and still get a useful combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    I can't say what you should get next, but if you think you want to "extend the camera's reach" the 30/2.8 won't do it.

6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    The 40-150 pros: sharp, very lightweight, inexpensive, silent and rapid focusing, signature Zuiko colors.

Cons: slow, but the high ISO capability of the EM5 mitigates some of that

If you want a prime instead, check out the reviews and sample images taken with an E-PL1 at Your former 45 1.8 got top reviews over there so make sure the Sigma or anything else you get comes close to it.
  7. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    When I traveled in the Fall, I was trying to keep my kit small and planned on keeping the 20mm panasonic and the 45mm Olympus on my cameras most of the time. They were on a lot, but I'm awfully glad I took the 14-42 and 40-150 for those times I needed to go wide or to reach further. You're cover from 14-42mm, a nice useful range, but if it's reach you're after I'd seriously consider the 40-150 zoom. It enabled me to get up close to things I'd otherwise have had to rope climb ruins to get.
  8. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    It's looking like the 40-150 would be a little more versatile for travel. I saw that the Panasonic 45-150 was on sale at amazon for $199 anyone know if it's better than its Olympus counterpart? Thanks.
  9. Kelton

Kelton Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    I think if you can afford it, the 25/1.4 is a great lens.
  10. Vyeow

Vyeow Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    I second that :)
  11. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I triple that, kind of hard to find it in stock in most stores. B&H has it in stock today selling for $40 less than Adorama, which is out of stock now. I just bought one from B&H :D From what I've seen, this lens works great on the OM-D :wink:
  12. timein

timein Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2011
    Thanks lowincash, I was finally able to order the 25 from B&H. I've had my name in the notify box for awhile now but by the time they notify me they are always out of stock! Finally getting one.