Now that it's cheaper - Pana 7-14 on E-M5

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by NoTan2, Aug 16, 2015.

1. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    My daughter is heading off soon on her annual overseas trip and she's convinced me to lend her my E-M5 and a couple of lenses instead of taking her Nikon. She's also keen to take an UWA with her and was looking at the Oly 9-18 until I noticed that the Pana 7-14 is now much cheaper (presumably in reaction to the Oly 7-14). It's only a couple of hundred dollars more than the 9-18. (And not much more than half the price of the Oly 7-14). I've always been impressed with the images people have posted with this lens but couldn't justify the expense. Now that the price has dropped (and we'll be sharing the costs), it's become potentially very affordable.

I think I've read almost every post on the purple blob issues with this combination and there seem to be two camps - those who have come to terms with it and those who haven't.

I'd be grateful to hear from the first camp how you made a success of this lens on an E-M5.
    For example:-
    Are the blobs visible in the viewfinder? And if so, can you do anything to remove or minimise them before you press the shutter?
    Do you just take the shot and hope that post-processing will remove them?
    Is it more of a problem indoors?
    I guess you can shade the lens to a certain extent from out-of-frame light sources but many of the problem images seemed to be caused by lights in the frame.

Grateful for your responses.

2. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Are you aware about Kodak Wratten 2A/2E filters mod?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Hi budeny,

Yes, I've read most of Anders W's posts on the mods.
    However, she will be travelling light and won't have the time or inclination for adapted filters.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

9-18mm is just so compact. Perfect for travel.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    More often than not when the purple spots show up is when there’s a direct light source shining towards the lens that is in the image area.

If you’re paying attention you can see the flare when taking the photo. Sometimes it is just a case of repositioning ever so slightly. However, once in a while small very light flare spots show in a photo that I did not notice untill processing the image. Sometimes these spots are easily to get rid of, and occasionally there is not much you can do.

I’ve shot over 4,000 photos with the lens yet had less than 5 that I did not keep of the purple spots.

The photos for a 7-12mm focal length comparison were shot with the Panasonic 7-14 and there are some other examples in my gallery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Thanks tkbslc,

The 9-18 was my first choice 18 months ago but there is a big difference in FOV between 7mm and 9mm and no longer a big difference in price. And the 7-14 is going to be still smaller than anything comparable that she could hang off the front of her Nikon.

7. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Thanks Clint,

That's useful information.

8. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    There is no need to devote extra time or effort, provided you can perform the modification (which takes about 5 minutes) in time for the trip. I made the modification sometime last year and have had no need to adjust the filter since. It simply lives on the lens and has taken care of the purple flare issue.

BTW, I didn't trim down the small plastic lip as suggested by Anders, that step is unnecessary.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There's a big difference if you need it. 7mm is just crazy wide, though. And the 7mm has a big fisheye-like front element that precludes the use of filters. Extreme isn't always better.

7-14 is an awesome lens, though. No doubt about it.

10. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    kinda dilemma between 7-14mm and 9-18mm. I love the compactness 9-18 but for performance 7-14mm is better.

11. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Well, I'll come down on the opposite side. I recently went through this same internal debate, comparing the P7-14 versus the O9-18. I decided the "purple issue" and the ultra-compactness of the Oly outweighed the extra 2 mm and any illusory IQ differences. Pixel peepers may take issue but for a traveler going light, the image differences, if any, aren't going to make a bit of difference to 99.9% of folks. The size,weight and pack-ability will. I went with the Oly and am very happy with it.

12. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    I wouldn't personally pick the 7-14/4 over the 9-18 because of image quality, I'm sure it's a little better but I've owned both and each seemed to produce great images. The big thing for me was the difference in angle of view, I personally feel it's quite a big difference, and from what I recall its even bigger than the difference shown in Clint's comparison image. I don't have the 9-18 any longer to compare, but it was about dead even between my 7-14 and my 12/2. So, closer to the 10mm line in Clint's image. Not sure how big of an issue this is to most people, but I came to the M43rds from a FF system with a Sigma 12-24mm, even the 7-14mm was a bit of a compromise in terms of angle of view for me.

13. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    I'm leaning towards the 7-14mm at this stage.

14. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I think it also depends on what other lenses you have as well. If you already have, say a 12-40, the 9-18 is a lot of overlap, where as the 7-14 has less.

I'd love to have a non fish eye 7mm, but Oly doesn't make one - so the choices are the Oly 7-14/2.8 or the Panasonic 7-14/4.
    That also brings another point, which is aperture. It would be nice to have a constant f/4 versus the 4-5.6 for some applications. Obviously f/2.8 is even better if you need that, but you'll be paying a loftier price for the speed gain.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    I do have a 12-40 but my daughter won't be taking that on holiday. She'll take the 14-42 and the 40-150 and perhaps the Sigma 19mm. Nonetheless, the 7-14mm would complement the others nicely.

16. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    FWIW, I've gotten the purple blobs when focusing towards a bright light using the 9-18 on an E-M5. But only once in three years has it been an issue. For me the trade off is mostly size vs. a constant f/4. The 9-18 is about the size of the 14-42. Sounds like she won't be using filters on the front in either case.

17. jcm5

jcm5 Mu-43 Veteran

May 12, 2014
    USA
    and extra cheaper if you have AMEX that has the deal for $50 off of $250 or more at Showcase Inc. (also selling it at $700 I think)

18. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Aaron
    I've seen purple blobs with the 12-40, 20mm, and 45mm lenses on an EM5, so its not just the 7-14 that has issues. It May be more likely to show up on ultrawide lenses, but it happens with others too...

19. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Fringing or blobs?

20. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    Blobs for me ... small round irregular circular spots of varying sizes.

But I haven't noticed any in two years.