Now that 12-40mm is out

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by uscrx, Dec 1, 2013.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    for those who's tried 12-35mm f2.8, how does 12-40mm fare?

Size, focus speed, IQ etc.

2. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    There are threads comparing them already if you search. There are samples too but I don't feel like searching for you. The results are, pretty much, IMO, if you have the 12-35, keep it. If you're currently making a choice, since the Olympus is cheaper, has more telephoto, has closer minimum focus, has the click ring for manual focus, and is better constructed, you get that.

The Panasonic, however, has sharper centers at some FLs but the Olympus has better corners. Or something like that.

Why I like the Panasonic is that although I use Olympus bodies with IBIS, I don't think it works too well so although my ability to spend $1000 for a lens is far off, before I do so I need to try out a lens with IS to see how it works vs my IBIS, because my PM2's IBIS doesn't seem to work at all.
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 12-40 isn't necessarily better constructed, as a current thread about a broken lens illustrates. It's also less compact than the 12-35. It does, however, focus much closer.
  4. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    I like the Panasonic 12-35 better than the 12-40 because it is smaller and lighter. It also extends less than Olympus but I have heard it doesn't sealed as good as the Olympus. I have seen people from Flickr complaining about the Panasonic with dust inside the lens issue.
  5. wjiang

I still can't quite work out why the Olympus lens is still so much cheaper, given all the tests and reviews... just lack of OIS?
  6. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And plastic innards! This may actually be the reason why the Olympus is more plastic than metal - so they could underprice Panasonic.
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I haven't seen the innards of a 12-35, but it's hardly an all-metal feeling lens. Plastic lens barrel (the extending bit), nice finish and all, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a similar amount of plastic inside.
  9. wjiang

It's also way lighter than the Olympus, so I doubt it has that much more metal...

What colour is the 12-35 actually? In some pictures it looks black, sometimes grey, sometimes purple?
  10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    I would consider it a dark dark purple. Parts of it is black as well.
  11. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    Both of these lenses extend significantly (~75% longer) when zoomed. The 12-40, by the looks of it, even does the double extension where it bellows out at the wide and far end (14-42PZ does the same thing). Any lens that does that is going to suck in A LOT of air, and with that, dust. The 12-40 just hasn't been out long enough for dust to become an issue. Give it time.

It's iridescent spun metal. There's tiny grooves etched into the material parallel to the mount. These grooves catch the light, giving it a shiny plastic look. The material itself looks dark purple in most light, but the metal is probably gray, and it catches the color from its surrounding.

The 35-100 has even more of the stuff on it, so at least they match each other, if not ANYTHING ELSE. Personally, I like the matte black finish of the earlier lenses to the glossy new stuff, but I don't care too much. I spend my time looking through the camera, not at it.
  12. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Almost all zooms "focus breathe" significantly and therefore ingest a lot of dust. :frown: But if's blog posts are correct (and I think they are), the dust is actually less than a non-issue. :wink:
  13. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    I realize this is off topic a bit, but since we touched in it.. if the lenses suck in a bunch of air (physics dictating they must and all), how do they stay weather sealed and not suck in moisture?
  14. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    Yeah, that is exactly what I was thinking. It is weather sealed, dust shouldn't be an issue.
  15. wildrob

wildrob New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2013
    In regards to the 12-40 not being so 'pro' - I just did a quick search for broken CANON lenses - specifically the 24-70 2.8l - Within a minute I had read two posts on two different incidents where the lens broke in the same manner that the 12-40 broke - i.e. the plastic part of the lens the three mount screws are threaded into, sheered off - one instance being a significant impact and the other, a drop of less than two feet to the ground. So, it appears to me that this is the norm in the industry for construction of a pro level lens, and quite possibly a safeguard (like a sheer pin) against more costly damage to internal elements, gears, etc. I'm not a lens engineer but this sure does seem like a problem that would have been addressed a long time ago.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43
  16. wjiang

Gaskets can prevent moisture entry due to surface tension and direct dust entry, but eventually dust can still get in as the gasket rubs against the opposing surface, the dust along the barrel will get dragged past the gaskets and into the interior. You can't prevent this 100% unless you vacuum seal it, and you can't vacuum seal it since the lens needs to extend. Non-extending zooms like the O12-50 are easier to seal as a result.
  17. speedandstyle

It is possible to fully seal a lens and have it expand and contract. Air is a gas and gasses can be compressed{unlike liquids}. So it would not need to be a vacuum inside just that there is factory air inside and sealed from taking in new air{or loosing the air inside}. For an even better preserving effect, inert gases could be filled inside. I happen to know for a fact that some high end scopes are filled with nitrogen{an inert gas}. Even if gases weren't compressible you could design the lens to vent the air from one chamber to another and still have it sealed.
  18. wjiang

If a hollow lens' volume changes (as an extending zoom does unless I'm mistaken), either the molecular quantity of gas inside changes (if non-vacuum-sealed) or its pressure changes from ambient atmospheric pressure (if vacuum-sealed). Cross-venting would work for a non-expanding vacuum-sealed lens but I don't see how it would work for an expanding vacuum-sealed lens without changing the internal gas pressure.

Compressing the gas would lead to force tending to move the lens back into position, which would lead to a non-linear feedback as you zoom, unless you compensated with spring tension or something. It would also cause major zoom creep unless you can lock it in place.
  19. speedandstyle

You are right that the pressure would increase BUT the volume would be so small it might not have an impact. Now for a zoom with a lot of movement it would have to vent from one chamber to another or have some sort of compensator{spring or such}. It would also be possible to have the moving elements move within a single chamber. I was just trying to make the point that a sealed lens is possible without it being devoid of internal gas.
  20. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    here in the UK ,on camera price buster website, the oly 12-40 is £899. and the panasonic 12-35 is £649.. thats £250 cheaper and with OIS

But still way out of my price range