Now Sigma are going to make lenses for m4/3

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Sigma is going to produce the 30mm f/2.8 lens in Micro 4/3 mount.

43 Rumors | Blog | (FT5) This is the new 30mm f/2.8 Sigma lens for Micro Four Thirds!

For me it looks like an awkward focal length given Micro 4/3's 2x crop factor.

30 is a little strange. I'd expect this move, if it was a conversion from an existing lens (i.e. 30/1.4), but I don't recall ever seeing a 30/2.8 in the Sigma lineup in any format. Given that Pany has the 25/1.4 in place, and then both Oly and Pany have 45 covered, I'm not sure what 30 is going to bring to the table unless it is a macro.

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I dont think 30mm is strange at all, it's similar to a 50mm on a crop body DSLR, which is very popular.

Hmm. 50mm is eq. 75mm on Nikon / Sony / Pentax et al, and 80mm on Canon. Not really that similar to 60mm on m43. And if it's really f/2.8, compared to the 1.4 or 1.8 typical of DSLR 50mm lenses, I don't see much demand.

The only logical 60mm f 2.8 eq. would be a macro lens.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
30 is a little strange. I'd expect this move, if it was a conversion from an existing lens (i.e. 30/1.4), but I don't recall ever seeing a 30/2.8 in the Sigma lineup in any format. Given that Pany has the 25/1.4 in place, and then both Oly and Pany have 45 covered, I'm not sure what 30 is going to bring to the table unless it is a macro.

I agree. It would have to be a macro and a new compact designed lens, not a previous lens with the mount converted. However, lower cost with good IQ would bring allot to the table.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
why do you think the lens is so much cheaper than the Panasonic?.

Well i think it is so much lower in cost because sigmas labor and production costs are lower. Panasonic has more over head and the higher quality control standards of Leica designed lenses increase production costs. As well as the lack of focusing motors and step motors for aperture in the lens body or the need to account for them in the design.
Thank you for asking, I hope i answered your question sufficiently.

If it bugs you so much, it's a pretty easy solution - buy lenses with the electronics built in. Otherwise, carry your pad around and write it down.
Actually, the part where I carry around my pad and write things down is what bugs me. Also paying an additional two hundred twenty or more dollars is not an easy solution for myself or many others. So it is not really a solution, but I do appreciate the suggestion.

The addition of a ten dollar chip glued to the mount that included the lens info for exif data would be nice tho, but i think someone on this thread may have explained the lack of that when they talked about how sigma's auto-focus lenses may be delayed due to legal reasons since they interface with the camera.Could be some kinda legal thing like that.

Aniseedvan

Mu-43 Regular
Hmm. 50mm is eq. 75mm on Nikon / Sony / Pentax et al, and 80mm on Canon. Not really that similar to 60mm on m43. And if it's really f/2.8, compared to the 1.4 or 1.8 typical of DSLR 50mm lenses, I don't see much demand.

The only logical 60mm f 2.8 eq. would be a macro lens.

Isn't 60mm for. Macro a little short? I am no macro expert but when I looked for one for my nikon, I was ushered away from the 60mm one, as people said half the time you would get in the way of your own light?

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Isn't 60mm for. Macro a little short? I am no macro expert but when I looked for one for my nikon, I was ushered away from the 60mm one, as people said half the time you would get in the way of your own light?

It's not bad, but it is short for my tastes. 60mm is very usable though, and a good photographer should be able to make it work without casting a shadow. Personally, I prefer my macros in the 100mm range. Super-long telephotos can be very difficult to use as well, as they will magnify all your movement and make focus and composition hard. But they are wonderful for using any kind of lighting and keeping away from scardy-bugs. The 100mm focal length is the best compromise in between though. Gives you a good working distance for 1:1 macro, but isn't so long to make hand-holding hard.

There is one macro lens which you would definitely need special lighting to avoid casting a shadow on, and that is the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1:1 to 5:1 macro. This lens can't be focused more than a few centimeters away, as 1:1 is the furthest away it'll go, with 5:1 being the closest. It starts where a normal macro lens ends. Maybe it should be called a microscope? ;) I've always wanted to try this lens out... but my 100mm 1:1 macro lens which I can bring up to 2:1 with extenders gets me closer than I can get enough DOF for as it is, even without the extenders.

xdayv

Color Blind
Real Name
Dave
my favorite macro lens is a 60mm 2.8 AFS Nikon.... this seems to be a nice entry by sigma to the m4/3. hope they will come out with more fast primes... :biggrin:

meyerweb

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
All the major 35mm SLR makers make, or used to make, 50mm macro lenses, so 60mm isn't all that short. I would agree that in many cases a longer lens is more convenient, but not a necessity.

MrDoug

Mu-43 Top Veteran
my favorite macro lens is a 60mm 2.8 AFS Nikon.... this seems to be a nice entry by sigma to the m4/3. hope they will come out with more fast primes... :biggrin:
Did you say Sigma.. ? they are or were way out of the real deal.. I have had several in the past for SLR and they totally Suck.. 3rd or 4th market lenses IMHO..:confused:

MrDoug

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sorry spelling.. Vivitar.. is that how you spell it? I spell Sigma and Vivitar out of the Market.. LOL aka .. Awful.. LOL

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
Vivitar is now one of several brands bought up by Samyang, along with Rokinon, Opteka, Bower, Falcon, and a handful more. And Samyang just shipped a manual fish-eye for m4/3. Take that as you will. Though I think they use the acquired brand-names for junk lenses mostly.

MrDoug

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sorry about some of my spelling errors.. LOL.. but my banker told me one time.. Doug, you can't spell very good and I told him. " I can spell MONEY" and he said.. " you are welcome here" :rofl:

Linh

Mu-43 All-Pro
Did you say Sigma.. ? they are or were way out of the real deal.. I have had several in the past for SLR and they totally Suck.. 3rd or 4th market lenses IMHO..:confused:

My sig 30 and 50 were my go to lenses on my 40D/5D. I also had an 18-50 (the first one) that was pretty good (though, not as good as my 17-50 tamron).

Latest threads

Top Bottom