1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Now Sigma are going to make lenses for m4/3

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by soundimageplus, Feb 9, 2011.

1. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
  2. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Darn,..... So it looks like the 30mm f/2.8 is gonna be their first one. I don't know if they just sat around and tried to think up winch is the lest desirable lens µ4/3 users would want, or what. But I don't see a great need for that focal length, at that speed and I cant see it selling off the shelves, unless its a macro or at a low cost. Yet if it is, only a couple hundred dollars I think maybe some might buy it for a portrait lens. I wish it was faster tho. At that focal length the compact size alone of the lens is not enough for me unless its real cheep, I almost would have rather they just adapt their existing 30mm 1.4 lens so it would AF and function on my G1. I would get over the size if it was that fast and all the Auto functions worked well.

3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    i love the 60mm 2.8 afs from nikon... this is a good addition to m43.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

But keep in mind that the Nikon is also a micro lens, plus 60mm on your D700 gives the ability to blur the background much more than a 30mm lens on our cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    the speculation around the web is that it will be macro so f/2.8 is reasonable.
    The reason it's 30mm is that is about a 50mm field of view on an aps sized sensor. I expect Sigma will always choose focal lengths based on aps sensor cameras because that's what most mirrorless cameras will be. As m4/3 users we just have to accept being the odd man out.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Typically sigma uses APS-C focal lengths. While this isn't ideal, it is an option.

7. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    United States
    As long as they design the lenses to take advantage of the short flange distance the bigger image circle won't make too much difference. It would even have some benefit on an m4/3 camera, as the smaller sensor would be more in the sweet spot of the lens.
    If they just take existing APS-C SLR designs and change the mount, then the lenses will be bigger, especially the wides.

My personal opinion is that mirror-less is the future, at least for sub-full frame sensor cameras. If I was Sigma (or Tokina or Tamaron) I'd want to get out front with lenses optimized for that format.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.