1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Now Sigma are going to make lenses for m4/3

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by soundimageplus, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Vivitar actually had some fine lenses in its time, but this is all dependent on the manufacturer as Vivitar only branded lenses made by different manufacturers.

Sigma also made some fine lenses but these have mostly been regulated to the unique and sometimes absurd super telephotos and such, as well as some good primes and macro primes. ;)  They rarely if ever match up to the quality of OEM brands, in the direct "equivalent lenses", though.The bulk of Sigma lenses are bought by Canon and Nikon owners who are too cheap to buy Canon or Nikkor lenses, so they buy the cheap Sigma "equivalents". That's always a recipe for disaster, and that's where Sigma gets its low-grade image from.

2. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 20, 2011
    When Vivitar was Vivitar, they did make some nice glass. The Series 1 90mm/2.5 Macro, 135 f2.3, and 200mm f3 are excellent lenses. There are several of the TX lenses that are also interesting as they are often sharpest wide open of just down from it. IIRC, this applies to the 135/2.5 and one of the 28mm versions.

I have the Sigma 24-60/2.8 and it is my normal lens on my K10D. I've been very pleased with the results, both film and digital, and there is no Pentax AF lens that covers the same range AND has a max aperture of 2.8. The closest rival is the DA* 16-50 that was selling for 3X to 4X the price of the Sigma (when I bought) and the Pentax had a reputation for motor failures. Like all lens makers, Sigma builds to a price point and has more than one grade of lens.

3. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Not all sigma lenses are duffers, I disagree on most things with a guy at our camera club, but one of the very few things we do agree on is the 70-200 2.8, he has the canon mount and I have the Nikon one.

Perhaps I am too cheap to spend three times the price on the Nikon equivalent, but I think I got myself a bargain! If I did Motorsport photography for a living, I could probably afford a 300 2.8 for the price of a car, but alas I don't..

4. Ned, you just stick to your Zuikos and MrDoug, you just stick to whatever new (non-Sigma) lens you bought this week and we'll all be happy.

5. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    I'm going to have to agree with Ned on this one. There are quite a few very good Sigma lenses. There 70mm and 105mm macros are as good and probably better any macro lens produce by Nikon or Canon at an equivalent price point $500-$700. In fact I would go so far as to say most Sigma lenses are usually the equal in image quality to a Canon or Nikon lens which are at the same price point. It's pointless to compare a $500 lens to a $1500 one.

WJW59 is correct on the Vivitar 90mm. In fact the only macro I've used that is as sharp as is the Lester Dine 105mm which may be the sharpest macro ever produced. I own two of them and wouldn't sell or trade them for anything. Additionally the first two versions of the Vivitar 70-210mm are highly regarded.

As for Pentax, I would direct Mr. Doug the numerous overwhelmingly positive reviews of the K5 and their Limited series lenses which are every bit as good as anything produced by Nikon or Canon both in build and image quality. That said they do cost a lot and aren't made of plastic like equivalent Nikon and Canon DSLR bodies and the Nikon 60mm macro. In fact the general consensus is the K5 is the best APSC DSLR available and it's weather sealed with a titanium body (something you need to spend quite a big more on to get in a Canon or Nikon) See:

The Online Photographer: DxOmark: Nikon D7000 Fails to Dethrone Pentax K-5

6. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 20, 2011
    Amen about comparing lenses. Since many here are often operating on a tight budget and are not pro photographers (I fit both), these "awful" lenses are often viable solutions as they are good enough (think 80/20 rule) for everyday use.

On the Vivitar 70-210, first three are all well regarded with the 3rd being "best" and the 4th being the relative dog of the bunch. I have the 1st and like the macro feature and the I like the colors on the 4th. I have to agree about the 90mm macro as well. I've held on to mine for the same reason, even though I don't use it much

It is funny how lenses go in and out of style. I've had my 4 Series 1 and 3 TX lenses for years and paid about $500 (adjusted for inflation) for all of them and three were NIB (S1 200mm, TX 135mm, TX 300mm). Of course, I bought the M42 versions of the S1 when everyone was going to autofocus .......:biggrin:

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I use the Vivitar 100mm f/2.8, manufactured by Kiron (the identical lens to the Kiron 105mm f/2.8). I'm also very happy with it. ;)  Generally, two of my top things to look for in a Vivitar lens are either a Series 1 name or a Kiron manufacture (serial starting with 22). Not that those are the only good Vivitar lenses, but you can't go wrong with either!

8. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I would agree with Ned about sigma lenses, and In my opinion over the years, before this last decade, buying a Sigma lenses was a hit an miss game on quality. I have a few of their manual focus lenses and some are down right garbage in my opinion (my 70-250mm) and others are great (my 90mm 2.8 macro). Also I notice that with some of them its just the copy i got that is bad. For example, one zoom lens i have looks and functions perfectly with no scratches or marks anywhere, glass or body, but its always soft it seams, except when at the short end stopped down quite a bit, But then a friend has the same lens and his is noticeably sharper. I guess it all depends on the quality control.

I think that the factory started to produce better quality items starting in the late 80s and grew better through to the 90's Due to the time of Zeiss being there to over see the manufacturing and quality control of their Jenna Zoom and other Zeiss lenses, when they had them made there under license. My guess is that the Sigma factory learned a lot from that experience and got better as a result. which is why you would find more quality lenses from their lines today then you would have in the past. JMHO

9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

When are Sigma going to make lenses for m4/3 ?

still waiting.

10. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Southern California
    I don't see any value in a 60mm equivalent f/2.8 lens.

I would like to see them fill areas that have yet to be covered: fast telephotos; fast wide-tele zoom; fast tele zooms.

11. georger

georger Mu-43 Regular

May 28, 2010
    I hope that other manufacturers, such as Sigma, would step in but my current issue is the rattling Panasonic lens (PL25) on Olympus EP1/2, with problem landing somewhere in no men’s land between two key founders of M4/3. The blame game could grow exponentially with more partners at the table, just like the permutating Android OS with limited oversight.

If I would have a Sigma lens rattling on a Sony NEX the issue would clearly land on Sigma’s lap, there would be no ambiguity. I hope that Panasonic and Olympus would resolve this issue sooner than later.

George.

12. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I guess you're saying that the lens maker should take responsibility for whatever compatibility they claim - that makes sense to me. Panasonic is in a different boat, though, because no doubt, they would prefer to steer us towards their bodies. When I read the panasonic.com website though, I see a long list of compatible Panasonic cameras, but no Olympus cameras. Maybe Panasonic clarifies this elsewhere, but to me it suggests imperfect support for Olympus bodies. I've seen this in the clicking behaviour of the 20/1.7 on my old E-PL1, though 14-45, 45-200, and 14-140 lenses behaved perfectly.

I have no problem with Sigma, though I'd wait for some users to report their experiences beofre buying one. My own two experiences with Sigma are a 4/3-mount 30mm f1.4 which required substantial front-focus adjustment on my E-620, and a 50-150/2.8 in Canon mount which was every bit as good as the Canon 50-200/2.8, but offered a slightly shorter zoom and lighter weight. Both optically superb and very unique lenses that had no native Olympus / Canon equivalent.

13. David Tait

David Tait Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011

Great news if they did. With a Sigma 105mm and 10-20mm plus Canon 70-200mmL. Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 18-135mm plus 17-85mm and 28-135mm it would be really handy. BUT! Lets see if Canon do start making m4/3 cameras with improved sensor/performance than current systems offer. Then we really would see m/43 buzz.

14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    They sure are taking their time.

They've demoed some NEX lenses. I'd expect whatever they release for NEX will eventually be released for m4/3 as well. For macros and teles, that should be handy, but for wides and standard zooms, I wouldn't expect anything interesting.

DH

15. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    redrock micro has an adapter that gives aperture control through the camera for Canon EF lenses. $545

Birger Engineering has announced one that supports aperture and auto-focus on Canon EF lenses. I've seen expected prices at $800-900 but don't know if it's actually available yet.

I'd rather spend the money on high quality native lenses.

16. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Maybe, but I think NEX lenses have more in common with DSLR glass than m43.

17. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I expect they'll lump m4/3 lenses in with other mirrorless, short register lenses. It would be unlikely that they'd design separate lenses for a slightly smaller image circle.

Fred

18. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Exactly. All of their 4/3 lenses were adaptations of their APS-C and FF lenses.

With mirrorless, the NEX has a shorter flange and a bigger sensor, so anything designed for NEX should function fine on m4/3. All they have'd to do is change the mount spacing and use m4/3 signaling for the AF motor.

DH

• Like Like x 1
  19. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

I'd rather spend the money on a high quality Canon body! For $545, you can nearly buy a 50D from the Canon refurb store. For $900, you're nearly at a 7d, or you could get a used 5D! If you are a filmmaker with an AG-AF100 that has a very specific need, I would understand. Otherwise, you're just throwing away money.

20. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I think both of these adapters are made by video oriented companies for video people.

Fred

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.