1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Now Sigma are going to make lenses for m4/3

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by soundimageplus, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Richmond, VA
    Richard Elliott
    So far the Leica lenses for m43 have been very reasonably priced considering the optical quality. The quality of the 25/1.4 as well as the Oly 12/2.0 are making me reconsider my lens plans.

There are still a lot of holes in the m43 lens line and Sigma is missing an opportunity to step up to the plate. A fast 35 portrait lens would be popular. As would a fast 17. Also I would like to have a 100/2.8 macro.

2. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    I totally agree. However, I think Samyang could be the real third manufacturer for micro4/3: the brand new fisheye is quite impressive, and I hope they decide to make a version of the 35/1.4 for mft and, why not, even a small macro lens...

3. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Looking forward to all these players entering the m43 lens market! Not good for my wallet though...

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    This would indeed be the coup, but I think it'll be a lot harder than it seems (and it seems pretty hard!). First, they'd need to get all that proprietary information from Panasonic/Olympus about AF functions, then they'd have to build all of it into a small adapter. Gosh it would be awesome if they could do it . . . think about the possibilities for ALL legacy lenses!

5. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    I had hoped that Sigma would come out with a fast m43 portrait lens, but they haven't even announced anything. I've ordered the Olympus 45mm. Sorry Sigma, too slow.

6. WJW59

WJW59 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Feb 20, 2011
    I wish someone would build an adapter like the PENTAX-F 1.7X AF ADAPTER, but that just did AF. I can deal with changing the aperture. Since it would be converting lenses with longer flange distances, the optical elements wouldn't be need and it would really be a powered, focusing adapter.

And I would prefer Pentax K over the other mounts. :biggrin:

7. joele

joele Mu-43 Regular

Dec 12, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have pretty much got everything I want lens wise... I have the 45mm on the way and to retire the heavy awkward Oly 50/2 I would like a macro, maybe something shorter, say a 35mm... As we already have the portrait lens from Oly a 35mm f4 or 3.5 macro would be great Sigma, I am sure that could be made very small..

Otherwise Oly and Panasonic (along with samyang) have most things covered now or released shortly.. Maybe long primes would be nice but probably too small a market for them for Sigma to go down that road??

8. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sigma MFT adapters?

I'd bet that Sigma has got legal bindings that prevent them from using their Nikon or Canon, etc interface info for anything except building lenses to fit those cams. You will never see a Sigma adapter that enables nikon, etc lenses to work on MFT because of legal agreements. It is not that hard to do. Sorting out the legal issues will take way more time and money than any technical issues.

The tricky part is knowing the interface protocols (which can and have been reverse engineered to a certain extent). This guy has done part of it for some Canon lenses (Birger Engineering, Inc.).

All you really need is a good idea of how many you could sell and a target price to figure out if it is worth the effort. There will be legal hassles so gotta figure that cost as well. Frankly, I'm suprised more hobbyists have not done it already!

9. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

A few Thoughts

Yes it certainly looks like Samyang has cut to the front of the line. I was wondering where the heck was those Sigma lenses that were announced almost a year ago. There was allot of chatter about them when the company had their press release, and not a peep of information about them since. Then seemingly outta nowhere Samyang released their nice compact Fisheye in µ4/3 mount , and said more are to come. I just hope the quality is there.
    JCD you said "Samyang could be the real third manufacturer for micro4/3" Well they are, there is no 'could be' about it .. a lens in µ4/3 mount is out alredy:biggrin:.
    Since Leica makes lenses for Panasonic anyway, i guess we really cant say they are a third party manufacturer. So really there are only two third party manufactures for the µ4/3 mount. Voightlander and Samyang. And both currently only offer one lens that is fully manual. Well i guess you could also say there is one more; Zeiss offers an µ4/3 mount option for all their cinama lenses , but those are way expensive and meant for the Panasonic AF100 Video camera, so i don't know if that counts.

However there has yet to be a third party lens for the µ4/3 mount with auto functions.

Well regarding adapters with electronics for legacy lenses. I think that the only thing that would really be beneficial or needed, and at the same time would also be the most economical to make, is if someone came up with an adapter that had electronics to monitor what aperture your lens is in so it can be recorded in the exif data. And maybe a dial on the side of the adapter that you dial in the Focal length too. Then also when such an adapter is used, the camera would automatically go into focus assist mode , or with one push of a button on the adapter, since your hand would be there anyway to focus, and it would be quicker and even easier than the (albeit Very easy to do now too) two steps we do now.
    I mean what i don't understand is if Sony can make an adapter for their A-mount lenses to go on their E-mount cameras that can control Auto Exposure with an Aperture Mechanism and provides focus conformation or rather autofocus and gets lens data recorded on the images exif and also sells for Under 200 USD, why cant Olympus make and adapter for the OM lenses to just control Auto Exposure with an Aperture Mechanism and record that data too. I mean you can input focal length into the oly anyway. But having the camera control exposure settings would be very nice, whether its auto mode or manual mode. But the absence for needing autofocus connections would make it easier and cheaper to design and manufacture than Sony;s adapter did.

So when using legasy lenses not being able to record focal length or at the very least, aperture on the exif data is something that really bugs me. I can't believe that no one has even come up with a hack that would allow the input a couple variables or be able to edit the exif data in the camera after a couple shots are taken.. This way you can record your lens settings before you forget. I still have to carry around a photolog pad to write that stuff down.

Now I have never owned an autofocus lens for and autofocus camera and since the day i purchased my G1 body, I have only used manual legacy lenses, Prime lenses mostly.

I just recently (it arrived 2 days ago) Purchased my very 1st auto-focus lens for an auto-focus camera. Its Kinda slow being an f/3.5 and up zoom, but I'm only going to use it for family gatherings and events really when its needed. I just hope i didn't spend too much on it when i could have been using that money towards a better prime lens. But maybe I should not talk about that here and start a post about it some where else.

Anyway , I wonder how come Samyang didn't put a chip in their Fisheye lens to communicate to a µ4/3 body its focal length at least.

10. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Call this a pessimistic gut-feeling, but I just don't think we're going to see third-party auto-focus lenses for m43. I don't know why, but it's either not high enough on their priority lists or technical or legal issues are in the way ...

I sure hope I'm wrong on this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Sigma made Autofocus lenses for the Four-Thirds mount, and Four-Thirds lenses still AF on Micro Four-Thirds bodies. This is already done.

The thing that made Sigma so important to the Four-Thirds standard was that they were making lenses with far different capabilities than could be found from the main players. Panasonic for instance introduced the Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 Vario-Elmarit, but this lens has very similar performance to the Zuiko 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 which has been around since the first E-1 Four-Thirds camera! However, Sigma was making lenses in Four-Thirds mount such as the 30mm f/1.4, 50-500mm f/4-6.3 Bigma, 105mm f/2.8 macro, APO 150mm f/2.8 macro, 300-800mm f/5.6, etc. These are lenses which we needed in the Four-Thirds standard, because Olympus didn't have any. The longest Olympus macro was 50mm (I personally love the 100mm range for macro lenses!), the longest super-telephoto they have is 300mm (in both a fast prime and slow zoom - or up to 250mm in a fast zoom), and although we had one 25mm f/1.4, it was a Leica and very expensive.

This is the sort of thing I want to see Sigma do for Micro Four-Thirds... start introducing those lenses that we currently can't get from Olympus or Panasonic! Considering that we so far only have primes from 12mm to 45mm, only one macro lens, and a crappy selection of slow zoom lenses... I think it would be super easy for Sigma to find gaps to fill in this lineup!!

12. To get around the problem of identifying "which lens took what" I started taking an image of the actual lens I was about to put on the camera so that I know every image after that was taken using that lens.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I have had a few Sigma lenses and a couple of Vivitar in the past, but they are in my opinion.. second class.. not good.. just my 2 cents..

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree. Sigma lenses don't compare well with most OEM lenses, which is why Sigma should concentrate on the more unique lenses which are tougher to find or too expensive by OEM. That's what they did right with Four-Thirds, and they have lenses in other systems as well which simply don't have comparable OEM competition.

15. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    If you have a FREE Sigma lens.. keep it.. LOL

16. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    I've always found the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro to be a most impressive lens regardless of what counterpart its compared with.

17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

good Idea, That will help me remember the Lens at least, but not the aperture setting.
    I'm really starting to think some sort of Hack is needed to do this.. I wonder is there are any people out there that know how to hack the firmware of the G-series camera. Other than the famous hacker13 guy that just tweeks video settings.

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    why do you think the lens is so much cheaper than the Panasonic?

If it bugs you so much, it's a pretty easy solution - buy lenses with the electronics built in. Otherwise, carry your pad around and write it down.

19. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Good news :) 
    I would like to see MORE manufacture's got for the m43 format
    1/2 FF 2X crop makes more sense than APS etc
    The best blend of size and IQ

20. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I think it really depends on the lens. I loved my 50/1.4 and 30/1.4. But as someone stated, sigma needs to make dedicated m43 stuff to get anything done, otherwise they will likely be huge =/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.