Now Sigma are going to make lenses for m4/3

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by soundimageplus, Feb 9, 2011.

1. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
  2. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Its about time.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sigma could make a lot of money by bringing out a relatively small 50mm f/1.8 or similar lens. It's good to see them on board!

4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I hope their m43 lenses are designed as such and not just larger format lenses with m43 mounts.

5. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
  6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Id be interested in this. Maybe a 25mm too.

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    If sigma just slaps a mount on a lens, I don't see them selling well. They need to design lenses dedicated to the system.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    A lens designed for SLR with a mount slapped on won't do well. However a lens designed for Sony E mount and adapted for MFT may not be so bad. Depends on the specific focal length and design.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

10. JCD

JCD Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 10, 2010
    Palermo, Italy
    glad to hear this

11. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    This is good news (hope they are AF) Sigma is a very respected optical company and don't make bad lenses. :2thumbs:

Question is where is Leica if m43 takes of in a big way they will regret it.

12. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Leica's already there as much as they want to be. Panasonic and Leica already have co-branded higher-end cameras and lenses, plus Leica lenses going back to the 30s can be adapted to use on µ4/3. Given that Leica can't keep M lenses in stock for their M cameras, I don't think there's a whole bunch Leica's going to lose out by not going more deeply into µ4/3.

It's important to note that Leica's philosophy is not product model churn that so dominates the digital camera world. In the M series, they've had sixteen distinct models over 57 years. In digital Ms, three models in five years.

13. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    sigma, make a 12mm pancake, pretty please.

14. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    You know what I'd like to see Sigma do...

Make an adapter that will provide aperture and AF function for your existing Nikon and Canon lenses. If I switch from Nikon, I'd like to hang on to one or two lenses, particularly my 150 macro, but I can't control aperture with any adapter in existence today.

By the way, on a side note, I'm highly appreciative of all the nicely organized and often illustrated information on this forum. Kudos to you! The uninitiated DSLR user curious about m43 can find pretty much everything they'll need here!

15. panystac

panystac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    This would be a coup if they did this.

At the moment, I use some Nikon lenses(both MF & AF) on :43:

(I have an adapter that provides aperture control on AF-S lenses)

16. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Still think Leica would benefit from a strong m43 presence they may well need it ti survive long term.
    The Digital world is moving fast in sensors and optics, besides Leica is simply not the force in optics any more the German so called supremacy is over has been for decades.
    Leica still has pull because of its reputation and overpriced optics.

17. jcdoss

jcdoss Mu-43 Regular

Mar 10, 2011
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Can you point me to a good source?

I'm on the verge of purchasing an EPL2 now, but I am having trouble finding an adapter that provides aperture control AND has good reviews or recommendations.

Thanks!

18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Well even tho you didn't ask me i can point you in the direction.

Novoflex adapters for all AF Nikon lenses (except G series) come with a blue ring to manually control aperture.
    This is an excerpt from their site.
    Novoflex - _info

19. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

well where are they?

Soo um 7 months later and no new word on the Sigma lenses?

20. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    You haven't used a lot of Leica's new optics lately, have you? Too expensive, yes. But simply the best primes in the world at the moment. The current 50mm summilux is described as the best overall lens ever made. And having had a chance to use one for just a few shots, I believe them. Makes lenses like the Canon 50mm 1.2L look like a kit zoom in comparison.

Gordon