1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Now Micro43 cameras are even more serious studiocameras - request support for tethered shooting now!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Stefan_SS, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    This have been a terrific year at Photokina for us M43 shooters. One thing I personally have missed is the ability to plug my Olympus EM-1 to my computer with a USB-cable and control the camera from inside Capture One Pro. I used this feature quite a lot in a studio enviroment when I still had a Canon 5D MkII.
    After switching over to Olympus due to size and lots of other reasons I soon realized that tethered shooting was not an option.
    It is very nice to be able to start a session in Capture One Pro and shoot directly to the harddrive, also whitebalance is so easy to manage on the computer.

I have been requesting PhaseOne to add support in their software, Capture One Pro, for Olympus and Panasonic cameras. It turned out that the cameras themselves simply did not support this feature. Until now.

You can find the software here: http://www.phaseone.com/sv-SE/Imaging-Software/Capture-One.aspx

I urge you to try this RAW-program if you don´t use it already and I wish that you would take the time to ask PhaseOne to please add support for tethered shooting for our small but great cameras. If many people ask, they can´t ignore it and usually they put wished features on their "to do"-list.

Please mail them your request at this adress: http://www.phaseone.com/sv-SE/FooterMenu/Contact.aspx

Here is their contactpage: http://www.phaseone.com/sv-SE/FooterMenu/Contact-us.aspx

Are you using using Adobe Lightroom instead? Don´t just sit there! Give them a mail ! https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Please remember! Any development that makes m43 more appealing to professionals, or photographers in general, is good for us all!

I wish you all a great weekend! Go out and use those excellent cameras of yours!

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  2. SolPix

SolPix Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 27, 2013
    New Mexico
    The 2.0 update is available for the E-M1 (apparently not for the E-M5 or E-M10), and it supports "Tethered Shooting System (Olympus Capture)" plus a bunch of other features. :)

3. gschnasl

gschnasl New to Mu-43

Aug 19, 2014
    Austria
    I found in a german camera forum a post, where a german guy wrote a program for connecting Olympus WIFI cameras with a laptop. This program was developed as pure hobby project and I have no relationship with the author.
    This program is for wifi connection between camera and laptop and works for OM-D E-M1, OM-D E-M10, PEN E-P5 and Stylus 1.

https://rebs.biz/cc/en/index.html

I have tested this program and wrote also a comment in the thread
    https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=69159&page=2

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Plus the images from it can open in other raw program's (CO, LR etc) & not just OV3.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I believe that the Olympus Capture software will be released on 24 Sep, or thereabouts. The latest firmware upgrade has given the E-M1 the ability to work with this software when it's released.

6. Ross the fiddler

• Like Like x 1
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Though I'm not sure what this means:

Which reads differently to:

8. Ross the fiddler

It should mean that since the E-M1 has had its FW 2.0 update, OV3 1.4 version & O. Capture will be able to utilise the camera's updated features, hence the release at the same time.

9. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    Hi!

The nice thing about being able to shoot straight into your RAW-software is that you can bring that softwares Power and Tools to the actual shooting session. I usually take a reference Picture with a greycard with the camera connected. The exposure lands in Capture One where I use the whitebalance tool to clik on the greycard. Viola! Every exposure shot after that will have that whitebalance applied automatically. It does not stop there though, I can use Capture One to overlay Pictures transparently in realtime when I shoot my new exposure if I plan to create a Picture made out of many exposures. It really is great to work with in studios.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Why didn't Oly also allow tethered shooting via WiFi? The Andreas Rebs "Camera Control" app does exactly that - and he had to reverse engineer the protocol. It's a pretty cool app. You can find it here:

https://rebs.biz/cc/en/index.html

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ross the fiddler

Do we know that won't be possible with O. Capture?

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Capture One was always designed for tethered shooting, being for a camera system (Phase One) that's frequently used for studio work. From memory, C1 supports Nikon and Canon.

I think for fully effective tethered shooting, it has to be via USB cable so that you get consistent throughput. RAW files demand more bandwidth than JPG and, to do it properly, you can't expect wireless to always work smoothly. If you want wireless connectivity, it may be possible to adapted USB wireless technology.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The Andreas Rebs app has a nice mode whereby it downloads only the file type you've selected. So, you can shoot raw and JPEG and it'll only download (and automatically display) the much-smaller JPEG. Very useful for previews.

15. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Sure for studios or dedicated field place. But many would like that wifi in wildlife or similar with laptop instead tablet only. Attach a powerpack and we have serious tool instead semi.

16. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    My intent is to use it with a Windows tablet and I'm happy to use a USB cable. But as I said, it may be quite possible to use a USB wireless/Bluetooth dongle, or maybe connected through a portable wireless router. For those who really need it, I'm sure it would be possible.

17. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I've been testing Capture One recently and I find it to be dismayingly slow compared to other apps, mainly Lightroom. I don't feel like it does a better job with core adjustments or NR either. Why do you guys like it?

18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I started using Capture One before LR came out, as it was the only decent RAW converter about. However, camera updates used to take forever, so I started trying out LR when it came out and have stayed with it ever since. Capture One did used to do a very good job with the E-1, being designed for CCD sensors, but I think LR worked better with the CMOS sensors of later cameras. If LR goes to the cloud, I'll possibly move back to Capture One. Capture One does take a bit of getting used to if you've used LR.

19. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    And here I am once again!

If you want to know about Capture One Pro 8, please read this review...

http://captureoneblog.com/capture-one-8-review/

Have a great weekend!

Stefan

PS. I just preordered my very own Olympus 40-150 f2.8 zoom in their Pro series. I am looking forward to test it! DS

• Like Like x 1
  20. Stefan_SS

Stefan_SS Mu-43 Regular

Dec 9, 2013
    Hi OzRay!

Lightroom is an amazing program as well! Thats why I posted links to both that and Capture One Pro. I have switched to Capture One Pro and configured the workspace to my liking because I feel I get that little extra out of my EM-1 with that program. But then again I loose the smooth connection to Photoshop from within LR. You win some, you loose some...

Cheers!