1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Now I know where Sony got the idea!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by OzRay, Jun 5, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    :biggrin:

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ray

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    That's a he'll of a lens... I may have to buy another if the E-3 replacement is a step up from the Pen sensor IQ.

Cheers

Brian

3. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I was actually looking at that as a cheaper alternative to the Panasonic 7mm...

luckily I've talked myself out of it.

4. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    I think this is where the shape is coming from
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. kwaphoto

kwaphoto Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Colorado, USA
    Wow...they sure make some UGLY cameras. It's obvious by the post above that this is a trend...some designer(s) need to hang it up and retire already. Wow, those things are to cameras what the AMC Pacer was to cars!!!

6. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I actually think Sony did a good thing with the Sony R1 (I've still got mine) - they weren't going for super small with that design, and it works ergonomically.

Cheers

Brian

7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Olympus produced some similar shaped film and early digital cams too. Think C2100UZ or the E-10 and E-20.

8. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    This design can be traced back in the film age to the olympus AZ300. My parents had one when I was a teenager. Made decent pictures, but never liked the form factor (and the button activated zoom was awfully slow to operate).

When you think about it, Olympus single handedly created an impressive number of successful camera designs throughout camera history, that have since been copied by virtually every other brand.

9. Sam Roberts

Sam Roberts Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 18, 2009
    Didn't the R1 have an APS-C sensor (Or something close?).

If that's the case then they actually started all this:eek:

10. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I think the original post was more satire... but since everyone seems to be sony bashing right now. I'll offer 2 other cameras and their companies everyone can bash on for having cameras that look and style the same :

1498_productview01.

[​IMG]

At least Nikon had the common sense to label the Left and Right micrphones so the sound waves know which side to enter from.

11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Yeah, my post was tongue in cheek. I was doing some shots with the 7-14mm attached to the Pen 2 when for some reason the NEX image popped into my head. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray