Now I did it...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tadzima, Aug 11, 2011.

1. tadzima

tadzima Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    United States - Alaska
    Not wanting to be left behind, I attempted to update my E-P3 to the latest 1.1 version of the 14-150mm firmware. Through what is probably cockpit error, the camera no longer recognizes the lens at all. The lens works just fine on my E-PL2 and my other lenses mount on the E-p3, so the damage is limited to the 14-150mm. Any suggestions to recover?

Thanks.

2. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Well first of all try and figure out what went wrong in the cockpit. Follow the instructions on the screen, don't unplug the camera until after it says OK. make sure you are using a good USB cable and that it stays plugged in securely.

If you feel comfortable about being able to do it correctly this time, put the lens in the E-PL2 and do the firmware update through there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  4. tadzima

tadzima Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    United States - Alaska
    Not good...

The firmware update process was unremarkable. This was not my first "rodeo" as I have previously updated the firmware in my E-PL1 and a slew of Canon DSLRs in the past.

I talked to Olympus support this morning and the camera does not recognize the lens. From the firmware menu I can see only the "body" version number. The 14-42mm lens is shown as firmware version 1.1. Oly tells me my option now is to return the lens for "repair". I bought the lens a little over a year ago and have perhaps 8000 shots on it; Europe to Alaska.

So a little later this morning, I will bundle it up and return it for repair.

5. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    The E-PL2 wouldn't recognize it either?

6. tadzima

tadzima Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    United States - Alaska
    Originally I thought it did but earlier this morning when I tried to use the lens, neither the e-p3 or e-pl2 would acknowledge its existence (just like I had left the lens cap on). BTW, the Olympus Service line folks were great; just couldn't help over the Internet. Its on its way to the Oly repair center.

7. shrimp123

shrimp123 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 9, 2010
    did you check for possible dust on the contact of the lens?

8. tadzima

tadzima Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    United States - Alaska
    Yes, we used alcohol to clean the contacts on both the camera and lens. Also checked to see we got the "click" on the rotating into place.

9. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Are they fixing it for free? The estimate I got to calibrate the focus on the 4/3rds kit lens was something like $250.

10. tadzima

tadzima Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    United States - Alaska
    I expect not for free as I got this lens in June of last year. The quote I got over the phone was for $131.85; a lot less than a new one. What Olympus said in their follow-up email in part was...

We will also provide basic maintenance for the unit, making any adjustments, calibrations; software upgrades (if applicable) and will clean the unit as needed. Your repaired product is then backed by our six-month service warranty.

11. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Hmmm ... I would be a bit angry at having to pay for a service necessary because of a fault in their firmware upgrade design.

I'd likely ask to escalate the service request to a manager, forget the calibrations and adjustments: just fix their fouled-up firmware problem.

I could see paying for shipping to their facility, but if they really wanted to have great customer loyalty, they'd even pay for that.

My E-PL2 had a cracked screen (needs mechanical edge protection, in my opinion), and Olympus repaired that for about $120. They just replaced it.

12. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Why would you need to calibrate an m43 lens anyway?

13. tadzima

tadzima Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 26, 2010
    United States - Alaska
    The lens makers have been using a combination of glass and software to make lens corrections and the MFT is no exception. I got caught trying to update my 14-150mm to take advantage of the faster focusing of my e-p3. The first link is to the firmware update ver 1.1 description albeit cryptic and the second link is to the MFT joint update service (hope I got these urls in here right).

Firmware Update for OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM : Lenses

Four Thirds | Special Contents | Joint update service

By the way this hasn't gone all that great. I shipped lens to Olympus on Aug 12 and I was told this week there ws a delay and they would be shipping it back by Sept 9th. Unfortunately I leave on 3 week vacation on the 7th. Where's my 7D?