Now a 2 body Oly owner

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by speedandstyle, Sep 13, 2012.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just picked up an E-PL2 from another member of this forum{thanks skibinski}. So now I have an E-PL1 and an E-PL2. I also got an E-PL1 for work so there is always one there and I don't have to lug mine for those times we need a shot or two of something.

I have not had a chance to shot with the E-PL2 yet{need to get a card}. Here are my observations however. Overall very similar BUT I like the larger shutter release and the video record button is shielded from accidental engagement{I had to turn that button off on my E-PL1}. The flash seems to be better built on the 2 and the button layout seems more logical to me. The screen is a bit larger but it sticks out making it easier to damage{the E-PL1 has the screen recessed a bit}.

The lens was the biggest surprise however. My E-PL1 had the old 14mm-42mm kit but the 2 has the type II kit lens. I knew that it was a bit different to allow the hood and accessory lenses to fit but it is physically smaller in diameter, it is a little longer though. The focus ring on it is much stiffer, almost too stiff but I usually don't use manual focus on the kit lens anyway.
  2. Alain

Alain Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Since you have the 2 models 14-42 I and II, on the E-PL1, could you tell me if the autofocus video is faster with type II and if it is not always trying to focus even when staying on a subject, because with my E-pl1 lens type I it's terrible. If type II is a lot better I will buy it.

3. speedandstyle

I did a couple of tests and they seem to focus the same. The type II maybe is a tiny bit better but nothing very noticeable. They both track better if you set it to CAF-TR and lock the focus onto your subject. Even true camcorders can hunt with AF, even $5k-$10k ones. I do video work as part of my job so I know this to be true. This is the reason why pros use manual focus pullers. Sorry that it isn't better. I bet the new Pany f2.8 optimized for video zooms work better than these kit lenses however.

Side note:I have found out that the E-PL2 focus a little bit better in low light.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I've had both lenses and the newer version is much quieter when it focuses. Speed is pretty close.
  5. Alain

Alain Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    Thanks guys!
  6. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Congrats ..I love EPL2 and this a PEN with best ergonomics . I have GX1 and OMD but still have soft spot for EPL2. It shoots clean videos and focuses better in low light .
  7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The Olympus 14-42 MK I has always had reputation for being a slow focusing lens. It's about the same speed as the Panasonic 20mm, which has recently become known as a sluggard, although the never bothered me in the past. With the 14-42, the front barrel moves in/out on any refocus, and you can see the image shiver on the LCD, which may contribute to a sense of waiting, In low light, focus will slow down because there's less contrast.

I just compared my two versions of the Olympus 14-42. The older one is probably just a little slower in bright light, and slower yet in poor light. I don't really have a accurate means to measure this. A 45mm is noticeably faster. The 20mm and 14-42 MK 1 feel about the same, and the MK II seems a bit crisper. This is all with an EPL1 body.

The other comparison points between the two lenses is whether the newer two-turret design works better with IBIS than the three turrets, and how they compare in sharpness. Inherently, a stiffer lens has got to be better, but I never had any complaints about the old one wobbling.

I think that replacing an existing kit lens with another kit lens is not a big enough leap forward.
  8. Alain

Alain Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2012
    ok, I will stay with my type I then.
  9. speedandstyle

I do have to agree that the ergonomics are a bit better and I did find that it does focus a bit better in low light{a problem I do not like about my E-PL1}. I do not understand why OLY did not put an AF assist light on the E-PL1 and E-PL2! The E-PL3 has one as does the cheaper E-PM1 but I do not like the design of either of those two lenses. I do plan on getting an E-M5 next year once the price comes down a bit but these will tide me over until then.