Novoflex 400mm "rifle"

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chasm, Jun 15, 2012.

1. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
  2. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    And an amazing...

24 blade diaphragm?

• Like Like x 1
  3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    I think it would be a perpetual struggle :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    Well, I've been working on a Zenit Photosnaiper rifle-camera. I was thinking it might be good to use in London for the Olympics... NOT.

So far, my tests have made me think that it is a pretty cool idea and the image quality of the Tair 300mm f4.5 lens is good (16 blade diaphragm, I think). The problem is that I really want to have the trigger mechanism fire the shutter and the two-stage remote required is proving difficult to make.

<a href="" title="Proof of Concept - 2 by the justified sinner, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="Proof of Concept - 2"></a>
    (Sorry about the poor-quality photograph: taken with an old Pentax Optio.)

<a href="" title="Photosnaiper - 11 by the justified sinner, on Flickr">[​IMG]"375" height="500" alt="Photosnaiper - 11"></a>
    Photograph of original camera on stock.

<a href="" title="Photosnaiper - 10 by the justified sinner, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="Photosnaiper - 10"></a>
    Diaphragm detail.

In short, if you get it all reasonably cheaply, I would go for it as an interesting project.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I would suggest to use it on a OM-D ! The IBIS does miracles with long MF lenses ! I have used 500mm lenses handheld with success !

C U
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Before the days of AF, the Novoflex lenses offered the fastest way of focusing a telephoto lens and they were much beloved of sports photographers. The squeeze focus took a little getting used to but in the hands of an experienced user could consistently produce pin-sharp results.

The basic frame would accept a range of lens heads giving a selection of focal lengths. If I recall correctly they went from f=280mm upwards. The lenses were designed to produce very sharp results near the centre of the field of view but the edges tended to be quite soft.

The Novoflex lenses were offered by at least one other manufacturer, Leica.

There is no reason why these lenses could not be used successfully on a m4/3 camera body, but I repeat that the focusing takes some getting used to.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    LOL, this shot pretty says it all.
  8. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    It's amazing how attaching a pistol grip to something as innocuous as a camera lens suddenly makes it a LOT more sinister. As Dauvit noted, you're going to want to be careful where you take such a thing in today's hyper-sensitive security state.
  9. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    That is what you call "bad a**"
  10. LegacyLens

LegacyLens Mu-43 Regular

Apr 25, 2012
    Anybody notice it resembles a gun scope?
  11. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    The had one these monsters when I was 14. My first SLR. Mine came with the Zenith E or ES I think.