1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Novice lens questions

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by John from ID, Jan 15, 2013.

1. John from ID

John from ID Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    I have a quick question about my E-PL2 lenses. Let’s assume I’m a caveman.:rolleyes:
    Some of my favorite pictures were taken w/ an old Olympus 3020 Zoom and so I’m trying to figure an equivalent lens for my E-PL2. Examples:

Panoramio - Photo of Sedan and Roadster
    Panoramio - Photo of Roadsters

The lens on the 3020 says it’s a 6.5-19.5mm f2.8-f11 multivariator aspherical lens.

Online resources say that’s a 32-96mm 35mm equivalent. That would be something like a 16-48mm lens in our :43: world or am I backwards here. Should I just stick w/ my 14-42mm kit lens?

What about adapted lenses? I generally adapt old Minolta-based (M/MC/MD) glass (there is a photo of my "Kit" in my Gallery) so the 24-50mm f4 Rokkor-X MD Zoom is one I think I’m looking for, or am I…?

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    That's exactly right. Your 14-42 kit lens gives you the same view as 28-84 in 35mm terms, which is very close to what the 6.5-19.5 on your 3020 did (the 3020 doesn't go quite as wide, but goes a little longer).

While you certainly can adapter older zooms, they usually don't measure up particularly well against even inexpensive newer lenses. Primes are usually more interesting.

BTW, those are some impressive shots of the Sawtooth Mountains in your gallery!

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    You can certainly use and enjoy the two primes you have Minolta 50mm f/1.7, Rokkor-PF 135mm f/2.8. I have similar lenses with OM mount and i love them.

• Like Like x 1
  4. John from ID

John from ID Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 23, 2012
    That's good info! I don't need to spend any more money.

Thanks! Those were with the 40-150 and a monopod...

Panoramio - Photo of Northern Sawtooth Mountains 3

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Yea man modern zooms are far superior to the old manual zooms. Hang on to those primes though.

• Like Like x 1