1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

November 13, Solar Eclipse. attn Australia / New Zealand / Chile

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Chrisnmn, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
  2. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    In Darwin, it's a partial eclipse at around 6am on the 14th, never seen an eclipsed rising sun -here's hoping the clouds stay away (it's almost the wet season), and I actually manage to get up! Will post some pics if (1) I do (2) they're not awful

3. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Here's a practice pic from this morning. Unfortunately tomorrow's forecast to be overcast :(

One thing that took me by surprise was how fast the sun rose, I could look down to change some settings and the sun would have visibly risen. You could pretty much see it moving.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  4. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My brother has his homemade telescope and tracker all ready for tomorrow. He's borrowed my GX1 and has a T ring so I'm looking forward to see what he can get.

5. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    When the total eclipse happened for the UK the area where it would have been visible was totally overcast but where I live, eastwards of there, the sun was out. The light dimmed a lot and the colour of the light was unique - a sort of golden treacle colour.
    The gaps between the leaves of the trees act as pinhole lenses for the sun and the effect was very clear. On the ground were lots of little crescents, such a wondrous thing.

6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    The light is wonderful atm. Clear blue sky here. Got nothing to observe the sun directly though. Next time...

7. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    We were very lucky and it was perfect again here, as with the last pic (what I assume to be) the combination of atmosphere, dust and cloud made the sun very dim as it was on the horizon. Just above that was a band of cloud, which the sun went behind just as it was beginning to brighten. All in all, it was totally worth the two early starts even just to see it! We weren't alone today either, as some other people had decided that the boat ramp was probably the only place to see it on the horizon.

Took this with an E-PM1, and a Tokina 500mm Mirror with an OM adaptor.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Em-5 with T-ring using my brothers telescope. It would have been better up further north- heard Cairns was nearly perfect.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/8183490229/" title="Solar Eclipse Australia by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 8183490229_36ab3025c0_b.jpg "1024" height="768" alt="Solar Eclipse Australia"></a>

• Like Like x 3
  9. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    i shot some as well this morning even some videos but im at the office right now cant do much... here are some quick snaps.

OMD / P100-300 / ND Filters stacked.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    It's over already ?
    Oh well, it's always an overcast here when there's eclipse, as if the clouds from all around are sucked in to cover the sky so peoples can't watch