1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Notre Dame is burning today :(

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Chris5107, Apr 15, 2019 at 6:23 PM.

1. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I am so sad to hear that this iconic church is burning in Paris today. This church is awe inspiring to see and learn about and is an icon of Europe.

nd1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

nd2.jpg

nd3.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 6:30 PM
    • Sad Sad x 10
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    It's so sad. For over 800 years it's stood, they think they can save the stone towers, the roof and spire have gone.

3. There is very little left. The original build was 150 years+ and involved 5000 oak trees. I doubt it will be fully restored in my lifetime.

• Sad Sad x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    It is terrible. What a blow.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    They will rebuild with less wood and more steel. The fire is now part of the history. It is the way that all things human persist. I am sad I missed my chance to see it as it was.

6. Very sad day for France and the world....

7. What a shock!

I first visited Notre Dame in 1969, with a Starmite camera, then again in 2014 with a Nikon D700... and was looking forward to someday returning with my new m4/3 kit. Each time I was awestruck by the beauty, the reverence, and the history of this iconic building.

So very sad!

This would be a good thread to post some photos we might have taken in past trips... as a bit of a memorial perhaps. Will have to hunt up a few of my favourite memories of Notre Dame to share. Hope to see some others.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. ralf-11

ralf-11 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 16, 2017
    Very Sad. Yes, they will rebuild and I expect a fund will be set up for contributions.

I heard that it took 5,000 oak trees to build the roof and beams. That was in the 12th century so I doubt any oak trees like that exist anymore.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    They will rebuild, but who knows how long it will be in construction and unable to be experienced!

10. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I've just seen press pictures from the inside. It's not as bad as everyone feared. Mostly, the walls and the ceiling withstood the blaze. There are surprisingly little damages inside. Of course the roof is gone as is the wooden frame. Now, to mitigate somewhat, it must be understood that a lot of that roof was remade in the XIXth century, and half the trusses were changed. The spire that went down, was also a XIXth century neogothic monstrosity completely alien to the monument. Bottom line, with the exception of a good chunk of the XIIIth century trusses, what went ablaze was in fact mostly "modern" (and not really respectful of the original design). Of course there will be years of labour and millions of money necessary to erase all the scars, but it could have been so much worse we should be thankful.

M.

• Informative Informative x 13
    • Like Like x 4
  11. JLGF1

JLGF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2017
    Jerry
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 12:36 AM
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    More important buildings covered in scaffolding, when I am in town.

13. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    So if anyone's interested, you can see here that the damages are well contained at the roof itself :
    Разбитое сердце Парижа

Inside it's not great but except in two points the ceiling hold so there's not much damages underneath. All the main stain glass are intact, the few that were lost are XIXth century copies. The organ is safe, most of the art pieces are safe, most of the relics are safe (except the 3 that were at the top of the spire).
    Picture via twitter :
    D4Qd1PyXoAAs2X_.jpg

D4PqwkOWwAANZbO.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Wow Wow x 2
  14. TomasT

TomasT Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2016
    Nederlands,Rotterdam
    Tomas Titak
    For sure that they exist, come to look on Slovakia. :) 

15. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Nov 7, 2010
    This photo was apparently taken shortly before fire broke out. It has been spread on social media in attempt to share it with the man in the shot. I've seen many great photos of Notre Dame in the hours since the fire, but this one stands out.

D4O5ISaXoAAGnNa.jpg

photographer: Brooke Windsor (@brookeawindsor) | Twitter

• Like Like x 4
  16. comment23

comment23 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Hampshire, UK
    Simon
    Amazing really. Sure there’s lots of damage but I had expected much worse when I saw the pictures last night.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Tragic in many ways, but it may be a blessing in disguise in the long run. There was a need for a lot of money to keep the building fabric intact. They may get that money now.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Yes. There was a lot of tension between the Church and the government regarding the upkeep of the place. Now, it's likely to be sorted out really quickly.

M.

19. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Anyone know if Quasimodo made it out alive?

:hiding:

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. StephenB

StephenB Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Somerset UK
    Steve
    I've got a hunch....he did :) 

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.