Notre Dame is burning today :(

Real Name
Chris
I am so sad to hear that this iconic church is burning in Paris today. This church is awe inspiring to see and learn about and is an icon of Europe.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
They will rebuild with less wood and more steel. The fire is now part of the history. It is the way that all things human persist. I am sad I missed my chance to see it as it was.

What a shock!

I first visited Notre Dame in 1969, with a Starmite camera, then again in 2014 with a Nikon D700... and was looking forward to someday returning with my new m4/3 kit. Each time I was awestruck by the beauty, the reverence, and the history of this iconic building.

So very sad!

This would be a good thread to post some photos we might have taken in past trips... as a bit of a memorial perhaps. Will have to hunt up a few of my favourite memories of Notre Dame to share. Hope to see some others.

ralf-11

Mu-43 All-Pro
Very Sad. Yes, they will rebuild and I expect a fund will be set up for contributions.

I heard that it took 5,000 oak trees to build the roof and beams. That was in the 12th century so I doubt any oak trees like that exist anymore.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've just seen press pictures from the inside. It's not as bad as everyone feared. Mostly, the walls and the ceiling withstood the blaze. There are surprisingly little damages inside. Of course the roof is gone as is the wooden frame. Now, to mitigate somewhat, it must be understood that a lot of that roof was remade in the XIXth century, and half the trusses were changed. The spire that went down, was also a XIXth century neogothic monstrosity completely alien to the monument. Bottom line, with the exception of a good chunk of the XIIIth century trusses, what went ablaze was in fact mostly "modern" (and not really respectful of the original design). Of course there will be years of labour and millions of money necessary to erase all the scars, but it could have been so much worse we should be thankful.

M.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
So if anyone's interested, you can see here that the damages are well contained at the roof itself :
Разбитое сердце Парижа

Inside it's not great but except in two points the ceiling hold so there's not much damages underneath. All the main stain glass are intact, the few that were lost are XIXth century copies. The organ is safe, most of the art pieces are safe, most of the relics are safe (except the 3 that were at the top of the spire).
Picture via twitter :

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This photo was apparently taken shortly before fire broke out. It has been spread on social media in attempt to share it with the man in the shot. I've seen many great photos of Notre Dame in the hours since the fire, but this one stands out.

photographer: Brooke Windsor (@brookeawindsor) | Twitter

Real Name
Simon
So if anyone's interested, you can see here that the damages are well contained at the roof itself :
Разбитое сердце Парижа

Inside it's not great but except in two points the ceiling hold so there's not much damages underneath. All the main stain glass are intact, the few that were lost are XIXth century copies. The organ is safe, most of the art pieces are safe, most of the relics are safe (except the 3 that were at the top of the spire).
Picture via twitter :
View attachment 735792

View attachment 735793
Amazing really. Sure there’s lots of damage but I had expected much worse when I saw the pictures last night.

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Tragic in many ways, but it may be a blessing in disguise in the long run. There was a need for a lot of money to keep the building fabric intact. They may get that money now.
Yes. There was a lot of tension between the Church and the government regarding the upkeep of the place. Now, it's likely to be sorted out really quickly.

M.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom