Not your everyday close up's & macros...

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by turboBB, Mar 7, 2013.

1. turboBB

turboBB Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    Hi guys,

New to the forum here and just getting ito :43:. Thought I'd share some of my macros (mostly shot w/LX5). There's at least one forum member I know of well versed in these, anyone else? :wink:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The greatest challenge for some of these shots is getting the WB correct since I'm typically concerned about the exterior of the light but then it causes the already cool tint of the LED to go blue. Kinda cool but would be nice if one day, a camera was capable of doing dynamic white balance for the entire scene such that it can render both the LED's output and the light used to illuminate the scene perfectly.

Lightroom supposedly can target just a section of a pic to correct the WB but I haven't learned to use it yet.

My Razzi albums are here in case anyone is interested in more:
    turboBB's Albums on Razzi: Photo Sharing

All constructive feedback and critique welcomed!

• Like Like x 4
  2. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    These are very nice shots. Very well lit (pardon the pun.)

How did you light the second one? I particularly like it.

3. turboBB

turboBB Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    Thx! Majority are done on my desktop using an Ikea fluorescent desk lamp w/wax paper as a diffuser, then I set WB to custom.

4. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Nice lighting (and lights :) ), but I have to ask - when do we start calling things 'macro'? These are hardly tiny objects, and we're not anywhere near 1:1. I'd call them close-up product shots, yes, but macro photographs? Not so much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Great results with minimal equipment -- love it!

6. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Thanks for sharing some great compositions. The last is quite elegant, a floral presentation of a cold metal and glass.

I knew I liked you when I say your models. I've always been a flashlight guy. Often I find myself shooting abandoned buildings in pitch black. They keep me alive and find my subjects.

7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Not "macro", but very well done, and interesting. I like them.

8. turboBB

turboBB Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    Correct, the first four are actually more close-up's but the last shot is definitely a macro. I'll post some additional true macro's later, in meanwhile, I've updated the title to be more accurate.

Thx guys!

9. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    That's quite a collection of portable, hand-held illumination devices you have! Are you a member of CPF?

I have a few Surefires; mostly older models that do gunbox duty. My primary carry light is a Surefire Z2 with a LED dropin.

I also have a Zebralight SC6000 that I occasionally use with a milk jug for a diffused area light for my photography.

With LED lighting for photography, instead of relying on the camera, I use LED light sources and gels to control white balance. I prefer 5000 Kelvin color temperature LEDs for photographic applications so I have some flexibility moving within the color spectrum.

Welcome aboard.

10. turboBB

turboBB Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    @0dBm - yup, I'm on CPF.

Here are some additional shots although since these are not commonly identifiable objects, the size perspective may be lost but most of these shots were with the lens right on top of the subject (you can click on pics to open up full size for each so you can see all the details and texture):
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And some additional close ups:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (I actually used one of the lights to illuminate this shot but couldn't get WB correct)

• Like Like x 2
  11. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very well done! :thumbup:

12. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Was the issue that you don't know how to use a white balance card, or if you balanced to the LED source, it threw all the ambient light off? It would have!

13. turboBB

turboBB Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 4, 2013
    Thx RevBob!

Crdome - The latter. As explained in OP, it's impossible to set WB correctly for two competing light sources of such vastly different temps. Most of these lights that I review are Cool White and range around temps of 6K+.

In the last shot, the city lights would've been too warm had I set WB correctly for the T40CS (which was illuminated by a cool white source and yes, I know, I should've brought a neutral LED). Despite the subject being the main focus in the end I opted to expose the background more naturally.

I would love if one day, a camera is able to dynamically correct WB in a scene based on areas. That would really be an amazing feature!

14. Crdome

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Turbo -Get to work on that. You'll make a fortune on that. PS: I only asked since you are new.