Not Wide Enough

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tolesy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. tolesy

tolesy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Th 2012 holiday season has taught me one thing... I am in a bit of a conundrum. Throughout the various shooting opportunities during the holidays I found myself without enough room on the low end of my Zukio 14-150.

I do not particularly want to spend $500 for a new lens... Are there any P&S options out there than have functions/image quality similar to m4/3?

2. migs

migs Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    RVA
    The widest I've seen p&s come is in the 24 or 28mm range so your still stuck in the same position. Might as well spring for the wider lens.

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    you could try out a wide angle filter converter- although you won't be happy with the results, but it's cheap.

4. tolesy

tolesy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I had a terribly difficult time trying to capture shots of the family in a small room at my grandmothers. I often found myself having to stand at a weird angle and peering through the doorway of other rooms to capture the shot.

Will a UWA lens create any distortions when shooting indoor shots with the background so close?

Please pardon my questions as I am still learning :tongue:

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    If you go to B&H here:
    Mirrorless System Lenses| B&H Photo Video
    You'll find a few 7.5 mm MF fisheye lenses for under $300. MF should be pretty easy for the DoF of such a wide lens. There will be a lot of distortion, however, so you might need to do some post-processing to fix the images. BTW, this page contains all the Mu43 lenses from B&H under the wide/wide zoom categories.

• Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    One of the reviews of the Samyang lens (they all look like the same design) says:

"Furthermore, this fisheye helps to fill a gap in my lens kit. I have been looking for an ultra-wide angle lens, and all of the current ones available are really pricy (but worth it too I think). By getting this lens and "defishing" the pics (Hugin Freeware), I have by all accounts a pretty inexpensive ultra-wide angle lens for landscape photography (I would still prefer the Pany 7-14mm, but that's nearly 3 times the cost of this lens...)"

so it appears you can make this work as a wide angle. I'm surprised at how good the reviews of these lenses are.

7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    A thread on the Samyang 7.5 (identical to the Rokinon lens):

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/samyang-7-5mm-f-3-5-image-thread-16458/

You can see 'de-fished' versions of photographs there.

I paid $305 U.S. for my copy of the lens, shipping included.

It is not a substitute for the 12mm, but costs considerably less and may meet your requirements.

HTH

Jim

9. tolesy

tolesy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2011
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for all of the info drd!

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The Rokinon 7.5mm really surprised me, I found myself loving this lens. I tend to shoot more at the tele end, but this has made me enjoy the wide. A very good choice for wider shots. :cool:

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes. Objects nearer the camera will seem larger. Objects near the edge of the frame will seem stretched.

A little bit wider (e.g. 11 or 12mm) isn't too bad if you generally avoid having people at the edges, but it becomes very obvious at 7 or 9mm.

The most inexpensive wide option for m4/3 that isn't a fisheye is probably the Panasonic 14/2.5 and DMW-GWC1 wide-angle converter. That gets you to 11mm for ~$300 (if you get the lens from eBay or secondhand), and is pretty good optically.

Wider than that, there's the Olympus 9-18/4-5.6. The 4/3 version plus a m4/3 adapter is around $550 (secondhand).

12. jar

jar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
  13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Wow. The OP wants a P&S and the first wave is trying to sell him a fish eye lens! IMHO not even close to necessary.

@tolesy, I have always felt that 24mm (equivalent 35mm focal length) is required for indoor shots that communicate any sense of space at all. A little shorter, 20 or 21mm is better. There are several P&S cameras that will get you 24mm. My wife's Panny ZS-10, for example. Here are several: Roundup: Enthusiast Zoom Compact Cameras: Digital Photography Review There is also one manufacturer (Samsung?) who advertises a super-wide mode, like 21mm. I have never tried it but I'd encourage you to hunt it down and take a look. In general, the quality of the better P&S cameras is quite acceptable up to maybe 11x17" prints, but because of the tiny sensor low-light performance is not great. For indoor shooting you might consider a monopod at least, or a tripod.

In M43, my choice has been the 9-18mm Oly. It's very flexible -- you don't have to go for the wide end all the time. I recently bought the faster 12mm F2 for a trip to the Middle East, just for the speed. But both of these are expensive lenses.

Re fish eyes, frankly I have never understood the attraction. Grossly distorted photos would be fun for a brief period... "Look at what I just did!" but for me the allure would fade quickly.

Re converters my experience with them has been unsatisfactory. They tend to be bulky and often will heavily vignette at larger (indoor shooting) apertures. I would definitely suggest you try before you buy. YMMV.
    Lenses do have distortions but that is not what you are talking about in this case. Here is a very good discussion of perspective distortion: Perspective distortion (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Edit: Is is probably the Samsung WB210 that I was remembering. It has a special 21mm mode: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/q311travelzoomgrouptest/7