Not using kit lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by fastcar888, Apr 15, 2011.

1. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Anyone not using their kit lens that came with your camera?

I put 14mm-42mm Olympus back in the box and may use it only for special needs (or not). But I have noticed an image quality difference with that lens vs. the other two lenses I own.

Not that is it bad. Clearly, it is good. Just not up the the image quality level of the other lenses (in my opinion). Just curious if I am the only one. :clapping:

2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    14-42 Kit Lens

Hi fastcar888,

I'm a Panasonic guy, but I did own the Oly with the 12-42 for a while prior to deciding which direction I was going to go.

I think the kit lenses from both Mfg are quite good. I especially like the 14-45 panasonic, but, before you bury your 14-42 in its wrapper... have a look through this thread.

https://www.mu-43.com/f80/olympus-14-42mm-f-3-5-5-6-image-thread-293/

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  3. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    I have an Oly M.ZD 14-42mm that I don't think I've used for more than a handful of shots. The only reason why I have kept it is to sell it one day with my E-PL1. I'm not sure that it's worth very much now anyway.

4. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    the mk2 is better then the mk1. But you really need to step back and look at what you are comparing. Primes are always sharper then zoom. There is only a handful of zooms that comes close to primes in sharpness. And those zooms are way over 1000 dollars. So you need to step back and realized you are comparing apples to oranges when looking at your 2 primes vs the kit zoom.

5. I have the MkI 14-42, and it's a perfectly good lens, but I just prefer to keep my E- P1 as a prime lens camera. It just seems to suit it's character.

• Like Like x 1
  6. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I've got the Oly 14-42 and I quite enjoy it. Im on a limited budget and the compact zoominess definitely comes in handy in those situations where the 17 or 20mm won't work (OK they will work but there'd be alot of extra leg-work involved :)

Most of the time I stick with the primes (because I like shooting low-light social stuff) but always carry the kit-lens just in case I'm likely to be doing something with a bit of distance from the action (or there are just to many targets to hit with a prime without running myself ragged).

The primes definitely have better quality but not so much that I wouldn't consider using it when required.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Me me me ... sort of.
    Mostly the G1 I use has my Yashinon lens on it for the F1.7 aperture and manual goodness,
    the other G1 with excellent kit lens gets handed to friends if we're taking photos ;
    Very appropriate :rofl:

This is a wierd blanket statement ;
    I disagree but this isn't the place.

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I love my Oly Kit zoom. Its just a versatile lens in many respects. No, its not as sharp as the 20mm, but I'm not giving up FOV just for sharpness, either. Most of my shots are taken with the kit lens. I have the 17mm and I find I use it about 20-30 percent of the time.

I honestly would love to see a 12-54mm collapsable zoom lens from Olympus.

9. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I used the 14-45 on my G1 until I got the GH1. After that the 14-45 has been sitting idle, and I've been using either adapted lenses, or the 14-140/20 lens combo.

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I just shoot with single-focal-length lenses as I prefer them. There is nothing wrong with the kit lens, I just do not need it. Besides, if I need a zoom, I have a car.

• Like Like x 1
  11. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    Prime lenses are a simpler design, so it is much easier to make them sharp. Zoom on the other hand are more complex, and are harder to make them sharp at all ranges.

The only non 1000 lens that comes close to a prime lens is the canon ef 70-200 F4 non IS. All the other are over 1000 dollars.

12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    While I do agree that primes are wonderful...if one has them available, I hate to dissuade anyone from gabbing the kit zoom. It's often the easiest and most reliable way to grab a scene, and for most new shooters, it's right in the box when they made their purchase...

I was just going through some images to post in another thread that ric started: https://www.mu-43.com/f57/share-building-11262/ when I realized this shot was taken with my kit 14-45.

As stated, I did have the Oly kit zoom on my Oly body, but I believe there are two iterations of the Oly kit. Is that correct?

Here, the lighting conditions were very favorable, but I've been pretty happy overall with the performance from this kit zoom, and it just came in the box with my original GF1 purchase...

LUMIX G VARIO 14-45/F3.5-5.6

Skyline_W_Foreground.

• Like Like x 1
  13. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    Nice photo Alan. I agree and do not want to discourage anyone from putting away their lens kit. :clap2:

Yet, I find myself strongly gravitating to the primes just based on my own observations. That is just me. Granted, coming from many years in the DSLR and rangefinder world, my opinion is somewhat skewed. No doubt, outstanding, high quality, shots can be made with kit lenses. Only, in my opinion, some of the great primes appear to raise the bar.

And yes, that is not relevant to everyone.. nor should it be. Take care....

• Like Like x 1
  14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Thanks for that observation, I know I've been guilty, on several occasions, of talking about pieces (or bits for the Euros) of gear here as though everyone has them at their disposal...

I love my primes... I mean I really love them, and I think for most folks the acquisition of one or two would only help both their photos and, their interest in the hobby, or should I say obsession..

But if you just started out, and you have an Oly or a Panasonic kit zoom... don't fret, just get out there and create some images.

Soon enough you'll have a few favorite primes in the bag....

Cheers, Alan

• Like Like x 1
  15. fastcar888

fastcar888 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2011
    Florida
    I wholeheartedly agree. As we know, one can take outstanding picture with a pocket digital camera. So as Nike says, "Just Do It." Take care...:bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  16. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I purchased my E-PL1 body used, no kit lens included. I have the Pany 20mm with some legacy primes and don't really feel I'm missing much (except sometimes I'd like to go wider than the 20mm allows).