Not sure why I keep the kit zoom.. why do you?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vinay, Dec 6, 2012.

1. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    With fast primes that cover the range, I'm not so sure why I keep the Oly 14-42..

If you already have a set of primes, when do you use your kit zoom?

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I don't like the 14-42. It's light (weakly constructed?), locks in and out (I hate the extra operations to put it away), and it isn't particularly fast (although the IBIS can easily compensate for this - except for bokeh). I've got one, but I seriously doubt its value.

• Like Like x 1
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I prefer my primes, but don't like changing lenses in the field, so my 14-42R gets used, especially when I'm not sure what I'll be shooting.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I like zooms. I'm just waiting for Olympus to make a good one.

Also, it's weather sealed.

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't have a kit zoom anymore (the 12-35mm replaced my 14-45) but that's why I kept mine before that. For travel use particularly, primes are very inconvenient; I'm not usually going on photo trips so my shots are taken in between my wife waiting for me, tour stops, or roadside pull-offs. Not changing lenses to cover a range of focal lengths is a huge boon. All this is even more the case with something like the 14-140mm - which I'm only grudgingly giving up now that I have the 12-35 / 35-100 pairing to replace it.

6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    ^^ agreed. I have the 14-150. I cant imagine being without it. Thanks to the OMDs IBIS and good high ISO performance, slow zooms are not as distasteful as they seem

7. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I can live with a slow zoom when I'm traveling and the twin kits lenses will do that job but the 14-150 is even more convenient.

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Primes are in the OM-D kit. The 14-42mm is regulated to the EPL-1 kit along with the 40-150. Kept in a small bag with a VF2, extra cards and batteries as a backup system. Considering the current value of EPL-1 and 14-42mm, it's "cheaper to keep 'er". :biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I've never used kit zooms but really enjoy the usability of the 12-35mm. For me aperture is/has always been the concern with the kit lenses, so I opted to buy cameras in body only fashion. Of course having the 12-35 is a joy because I don't sacrifice much besides OOF rendering, in which some cases it can still pull off with pleasing results. I'm hoping to go the same route as Jay and have a 12-35/35-100 kit. Other things to save for at the moment, otherwise I'd already have it.

10. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    The 14-42 is fairly lame. Kind of just too "average" and "boring" for me. I have one still from my old E-P1 just so I can sell them together when I get around to doing so, but that is the only reason I keep it.

The 12-50 Kit lens is pretty decent though. If you know you are shooting in the day and just want to bring along one "do everything" kind of lens then it is a pretty decent choice, so I keep that one around for that reason.

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

14-45 panny sits on the old EP1 (broken IBIS) and the wife and kids uses it all the time.

Keeps them out of my bag.

12. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Sold it on here. Could see no scenario where I'd ever feel good about using it.

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I do a lot of event photography and having a zoom makes things much quicker and easier. I don't worry about bokeh for these events and there is usually plenty of light so I don't need a fast aperture. I have to admit that I have not really used the 14-42mm since I got the 14-150mm however. I used to use 2 bodies one with the 14-42mm and the other with the 40-150mm.
    If you ever loan your camera or are teaching somebody with it a kit zoom is a great lens to use for that. If they bust it the loss is low. A kit zoom is also easy to use and great for a beginner. Also, they are often handy for family events where you need to get the shots but don't need to be artistic.

14. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I just repurchased the Pana 14-42 for travel with the OMD.I have the Oly one that came with the camera but I don't care for the twist out feature.Too lazy to sell it off.

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Vinay..
    There is nothing wrong with Oly 14-42 mm if you are using it outside but beyond that , I dont use it . Now if you dont like to change the lenses then go for Oly 14-54 mm 2.8-3.5 II - The best kit lens ever given by any camera company . I took 5lenses to Mauritius and used only Oly 14-54 mm and let me remind u that I am also a prime lover .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I sold my Oly 14-42, since I had to get Pana 14mm and I only used the zoom at the wide end anyway. I haven't missed the kit zoom since then. If I ever upgrade my camera body I wouldn't sell my precious E-P1 so I don't need the KittyZoom for that either.

17. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Given how cheap GF3s are these days and how much I like them, I'm sorely tempted to just use two bodies. It's what photojournalists did in the days before primes (and still do for football games).

18. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Primes are too limiting for me in that I'd always have to keep changing them for the way I shoot, and I'd always be wanting a focal length in-between two primes...the ONLY prime I do carry with me is the Samyang 7.5mm.

Otherwise I got the 12-50, 40-150, 14-150, and a silver 14-42/ii I bought used for my silver body. I may add a 75-300 in future.

19. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    I haven't used my kit zoom (for the E-P1) since the 12/2.0 came out. Now I have bought the E-PM2, which wasn't available body-only. So now I have the new kit zoom too. I doubt I will use it, but it could be handy if I lend the E-PM2 to somebody (I have the OM-D too).

20. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    My E-PL3 came with a double zoom kit.

I never use the 14-42 any more.

I have just got back into trying the 40-150 on my OM-D, and it is a pretty reasonable lens if you know it's limitations. It's relatively sharp between 60-110mm, and that extra reach is quite useful sometimes. There's at least 1 thread on here where people are taking some great shots, including landscapes, with it.