1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Not sure why I keep the kit zoom.. why do you?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vinay, Dec 6, 2012.

1. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    With fast primes that cover the range, I'm not so sure why I keep the Oly 14-42..

If you already have a set of primes, when do you use your kit zoom?

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I don't like the 14-42. It's light (weakly constructed?), locks in and out (I hate the extra operations to put it away), and it isn't particularly fast (although the IBIS can easily compensate for this - except for bokeh). I've got one, but I seriously doubt its value.

• Like Like x 1
  3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I prefer my primes, but don't like changing lenses in the field, so my 14-42R gets used, especially when I'm not sure what I'll be shooting.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I like zooms. I'm just waiting for Olympus to make a good one.

Also, it's weather sealed.

5. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I don't have a kit zoom anymore (the 12-35mm replaced my 14-45) but that's why I kept mine before that. For travel use particularly, primes are very inconvenient; I'm not usually going on photo trips so my shots are taken in between my wife waiting for me, tour stops, or roadside pull-offs. Not changing lenses to cover a range of focal lengths is a huge boon. All this is even more the case with something like the 14-140mm - which I'm only grudgingly giving up now that I have the 12-35 / 35-100 pairing to replace it.

6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    ^^ agreed. I have the 14-150. I cant imagine being without it. Thanks to the OMDs IBIS and good high ISO performance, slow zooms are not as distasteful as they seem

7. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I can live with a slow zoom when I'm traveling and the twin kits lenses will do that job but the 14-150 is even more convenient.

8. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Primes are in the OM-D kit. The 14-42mm is regulated to the EPL-1 kit along with the 40-150. Kept in a small bag with a VF2, extra cards and batteries as a backup system. Considering the current value of EPL-1 and 14-42mm, it's "cheaper to keep 'er". :biggrin:

Regards,

Jim

9. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I've never used kit zooms but really enjoy the usability of the 12-35mm. For me aperture is/has always been the concern with the kit lenses, so I opted to buy cameras in body only fashion. Of course having the 12-35 is a joy because I don't sacrifice much besides OOF rendering, in which some cases it can still pull off with pleasing results. I'm hoping to go the same route as Jay and have a 12-35/35-100 kit. Other things to save for at the moment, otherwise I'd already have it.

10. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    The 14-42 is fairly lame. Kind of just too "average" and "boring" for me. I have one still from my old E-P1 just so I can sell them together when I get around to doing so, but that is the only reason I keep it.

The 12-50 Kit lens is pretty decent though. If you know you are shooting in the day and just want to bring along one "do everything" kind of lens then it is a pretty decent choice, so I keep that one around for that reason.

11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

14-45 panny sits on the old EP1 (broken IBIS) and the wife and kids uses it all the time.

Keeps them out of my bag.

12. mr_botak

mr_botak Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2011
    Reading, UK
    David
    Sold it on here. Could see no scenario where I'd ever feel good about using it.

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I do a lot of event photography and having a zoom makes things much quicker and easier. I don't worry about bokeh for these events and there is usually plenty of light so I don't need a fast aperture. I have to admit that I have not really used the 14-42mm since I got the 14-150mm however. I used to use 2 bodies one with the 14-42mm and the other with the 40-150mm.
    If you ever loan your camera or are teaching somebody with it a kit zoom is a great lens to use for that. If they bust it the loss is low. A kit zoom is also easy to use and great for a beginner. Also, they are often handy for family events where you need to get the shots but don't need to be artistic.

14. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I just repurchased the Pana 14-42 for travel with the OMD.I have the Oly one that came with the camera but I don't care for the twist out feature.Too lazy to sell it off.

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Hi Vinay..
    There is nothing wrong with Oly 14-42 mm if you are using it outside but beyond that , I dont use it . Now if you dont like to change the lenses then go for Oly 14-54 mm 2.8-3.5 II - The best kit lens ever given by any camera company . I took 5lenses to Mauritius and used only Oly 14-54 mm and let me remind u that I am also a prime lover .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus loser Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2010
    I sold my Oly 14-42, since I had to get Pana 14mm and I only used the zoom at the wide end anyway. I haven't missed the kit zoom since then. If I ever upgrade my camera body I wouldn't sell my precious E-P1 so I don't need the KittyZoom for that either.

17. gsk3

gsk3 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 29, 2012
    Given how cheap GF3s are these days and how much I like them, I'm sorely tempted to just use two bodies. It's what photojournalists did in the days before primes (and still do for football games).

18. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Primes are too limiting for me in that I'd always have to keep changing them for the way I shoot, and I'd always be wanting a focal length in-between two primes...the ONLY prime I do carry with me is the Samyang 7.5mm.

Otherwise I got the 12-50, 40-150, 14-150, and a silver 14-42/ii I bought used for my silver body. I may add a 75-300 in future.

19. Agent00soul

Agent00soul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 22, 2010
    I haven't used my kit zoom (for the E-P1) since the 12/2.0 came out. Now I have bought the E-PM2, which wasn't available body-only. So now I have the new kit zoom too. I doubt I will use it, but it could be handy if I lend the E-PM2 to somebody (I have the OM-D too).

20. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    S.Yorkshire, UK
    Les
    My E-PL3 came with a double zoom kit.

I never use the 14-42 any more.

I have just got back into trying the 40-150 on my OM-D, and it is a pretty reasonable lens if you know it's limitations. It's relatively sharp between 60-110mm, and that extra reach is quite useful sometimes. There's at least 1 thread on here where people are taking some great shots, including landscapes, with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.