Not sure where to post this re: selling old lenses, "someday" . . .

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by GBarrington, Oct 18, 2014.

1. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Veteran

I just bought a cheapie FD/FL lens adapter from Amazon, not yet arrived. But in looking over my ancient collection of FD and FL lenses to see if they are worth buying even a cheap adapter for. I'm surprised to see that these lenses aren't much bigger than the lenses for m43s! I have a 200 mm f/4.5 Canon FL lens that is quite petite.

I realize that from buying and selling used Canon Camera's in my pre digital days, I have an overabundance of 50mm f/1.8 lenses in both FL and FD mounts Now I'm not ready to sell them, I intend to try to "Cherry pick" the best one,optically, and sell the rest, say, maybe 5 others. Ebay is listing them individually for between $25 and $50. And none of them seem to have any bids on them. PLUS, it's been years since I've used EBay, and for the life of me, I can't seem to figure out how to get to completed auctions to see what similar items sell for. (I'm not signed in, does that make a difference? I'm not a big EBAY fan and don't want to create or reactivate my old account until I'm sure I want to do this)

That's quite a spread in price I see with no evidence of any of them likely being sold regardless of price. Are these things worth selling at all? and if so, in your opinion, would it be best to sell them as a unit, or individually? What price do you think they are worth? Is there some other site that would likely tell me what these things are REALLY worth?
  2. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    A few weeks ago, Ebay offered me a $10 credit if I sold something over it (they may have offered this because I had never sold before). I listed a Pentacon 50mm 1.8 at 99 cents plus $9 shipping. The lens ended up selling for about $20 and I got the $10 credit (I also got the $9 for shipping, but that was used up on shipping and fees).

Frankly, selling it would have been worth it to me even without the $10 credit -- the point for me was not the money that I was getting from the lens, but the fact that I was getting something I'd never use (since I also have a Rokkor 50mm 1.4) out of my house and into the hands of somebody who might use it. If that person's a reseller and makes their money buying lenses cheap and selling them at a higher price, that's ok by me, because I just didn't want something useful and functional going into the landfill.

Anyway, if your goal is just to move the lens along, go ahead and list them at a low price, set it to a one week auction, and see if anybody buys. If you want more money, you probably should list them separately, since most people looking at buying lenses don't want a whole bunch of 50mm lenses (as you know!). Of course, listing them separately will mean more work for you as the shipper.

I should add that if you decide to do Ebay, make sure you set your shipping options properly and if you don't want to ship internationally, make sure to set things so that international bidders are not allowed to bid on your item. These settings are a bit difficult to find in the Ebay settings. I goofed initially and people from around the world kept bugging me about the item and then somebody in Indonesia created a new Ebay account and bid far more than anybody else had -- I had to cancel that bid and fix up my settings so that it wouldn't happen again (I think the person must have been some sort of scammer).
  3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I don't know about the US Ebay but here 50/1.8 legacy lenses are ten a penny. Well, they sell from between £5-£10 +postage so not quite 'pennies'.

For a while I was buying lots of 50mm lenses in different mounts and found that buying the m4/3 adapter was almost as expensive!
  4. Duncan

Duncan Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2013
    To find completed listings in eBay, search for the item you want to sell, then scroll down the page and look at the options on the far left. Under the "Show only" heading you'll find a box to check for completed listings only.
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    What they said.
    Most brands of 1960-1980s 50mmF1.8 lenses sell for cheap peanuts I'm afraid,
    but with the adapters being so cheap you could start a friend on their journey of digital goodness and sell the rest locally at your version of car-boot fairs ...

But WAIT.
    You will not know how your lenses perform until you test each one ... and even then you're only getting information on whichever format of sensor is behind it (I'm assuming m4/3rds) and not how they will perform on, for example, a Fuji or a Sony mirrorless body.
    So you still might not know what your best lenses will be ... oh.
    In any case you can identify some less-good lenses and move them on.
    I own (counting...) approx seven 50mm-ish old lenses and I think I'll keep them.
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California

I think you have to be logged in to see Completed / Sold listings on eBay.

You could also try and/or

7. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    You can get quotes online from and sell the lenses to them in one big lot. Yes you will get less than the selling price on E-Bay. However, you also won't pay E-bay fees, Pay-Pal fees and multiple shipping costs to a bunch of different buyers. If you just want to get a bunch of lenses out of the house and get something reasonably fair for them without much hassle that is probably your best bet.
  8. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    If you are signed into ebay, llyou should see a place to the left on the listings, a way down on the page, that says, "completed auctions" or "sold", check the one you want and it will bring you to closed or sold item of the same type. I think you have to be signed in, though.
  9. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have a full frame Canon friend and one day when we were out shooting I commented on the size of his canon lenses. He saw the set of zeiss lenses I had in my bag on the day he stated 'yeah but they are not full frame lenses are they?'. He was very surprised when I confirmed they were fullframe :biggrin:

Don't forget to check out the Adapted Lenses Showcase forum - - I'm sure someone will have posted examples with Canon FD and FL on m43. If you do fall in love with your Canon lenses all over again, perhaps check out the Metabones Speedbooster for Canon FD lenses.
  10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    If you are signed into ebay, llyou should see a place to the left on the listings, a way down on the page, that says, "completed auctions" or "sold", check the one you want and it will bring you to closed or sold item of the same type. I think you have to be signed in, though.