1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Not sure what native lens to get next. Need something wider than the 20mm

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by colbycheese, May 28, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I wanted to purchase a new native lens. I have the long range covered so now i need a lens in the wide range. I am thinking 15mm and under would be ideal. I thought of the idea of getting one of the samyang lenses (either the 7.5mm or the 12mm) The only problem with getting the samyang lenses is by the time i order one and pay shipping customs and convert to my currency, its going to cost me around 400 bucks. This is quite a bit for the 12mm but its still half the price of the olympus one. I am not sure if its honestly worth it. I haven't heard of samyang really but i heard the make good budget stuff. I need a recommendation for a wide lens.

2. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    For $320 the Samyang is a decent deal. Not the greatest build quality but decent optics. At $400, I'd raise my budget a little and look for a used O12/2 for around $500.

3. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I briefly had the Panasonic 14mm which is easily found used for a fraction of your budget. Not a bad performer - corners are a little soft and it vignettes a little but very sharp in the centre.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. tino84

tino84 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2013
    I have 14mm 2.5, great little lens, and a new entry, 12-32. Ok maybe you don't need a zoom, but it's the easiest and cheaper way to have a 12mm, and it's very good quality! Ah, and it's very small, about the same of the 14mm

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The P14 is an obvious choice given your price restrictions. It's a great little lens, BUT it seems a bit superfluous to me given that you can already cover that focal length with the O14-42 (although admittedly not at f2.5) and you've already got a pancake lens in the P20 for when you want to go with a small kit.

Given that, I would recommend the Samyang/Bower/Rokinon fisheye. There's nothing wider (in terms of angle of view) in the system and I've found it an amazingly fun lens to shoot with. If you don't like the fisheye look, the images stand up to a decent amount of de-fishing in post.

Henry's in Canada carries the fisheye and it looks like you'll get it for around C$415 out the door. That said, a bit of searching for a used copy should turn one up at roughly half to two-thirds of that price.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

14mm f2.5 might seem kinda boring, but for an additional $100 you can add the GWC1 and turn it into a 11mm f2.5. Not to mention it is the smallest regular m4/3 lens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    I would also recommend the Panasonic pancake 12-32 lens. I had the old 14-42 pancake with the wide converter, and attaching it was fiddly and annoying. It was the same method to attach to the 14mm, and I really wouldn't recommend it.

8. ManofKent

ManofKent Hopefully still learning

Dec 26, 2014
    Faversham, Kent, UK
    Richard
    I find the 12-32 at 14mm whilst a tad less sharp in the centre than the 14mm 2.5 (still very good) has better corner performance. I find the having to extend it a small pain but on the whole it's one of the best kit zooms I've used.

9. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    The 12-32 is often used as a 12mm prime. It's very good and small. I keep saying I'm going to sell the 14 now that I have the 12-32 but the 14 is just too much fun for self shots, etc. It's a bit wider than my phone and easier to hold and lighter and doesn't extend, matches the GM1 perfectly etc., vs the 12-32, so heck, I'll keep both! 12-32 is probably sharper and less distortion at 14mm, however, I need to compare them one of these days. In fact, someone has done just that with his copies and confirmed my suspicions. In short, get the 12-32. I wouldn't get the Samyang 12. IMO they make only one great lens and that's the 7.5mm That thing is phenomenally sharp! Yes, I have that too. Not much of a walk around lens though. The PL15 is superb! The 15/8 is very fun :)