1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Not sure my older M43 gear will work for me, so this is more of a dslr question?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by newfie, Feb 22, 2015.

1. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    I just picked up a used epm1, 14-42 and 40-150 and its been real fun, but...

I'm heading to a birthday for 5yr old kids with fast action. Birthday will be held at an indoor climbing/swing/slide/zipline/ attraction. Lots of fast moving action in a poorly lit industrial type ware house with no natural lighting (see below pic).

i shot there before with my d7000, 18-70 and 70-210. Since the glass wasn't real fast I was pushing my ISO pretty hard. There was still quite a bit of unintentional blur while trying to keep iso below 2500 as the shutter was really struggling to keep up on the long end of the tele.

My 35 1.8 worked well in the eating area for cake as there was less subject movement and distance, so I'll definitely use that setup again there.

So I'm thinking Auto ISO up to 2500, shutter no less than 320th, single point focus and anticipate much of the action. Especially when using the tele.

But I now have a sb910 flash but I'm new to flash. I'm thinking it will work quite well in TTL on the 18-70 for mid/close fast action.

Should I bother taking my epm1, I find it struggles in low light to focus.

2. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    also, advise on settings/execution is appreciated:)

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Bring the D7000 with the glass and flash you have. I'd also bring the E-PM1 and 40-150. Depending on the area the E-PM1 setup would be a good candid catcher for parents/kids not in the action and you might not need to change lenses as often.

Settings?

• Shutter priority - I'd only go 1/250 so you don't have deal with Auto FP stuff. And it can drain your flash batteries faster. Slow it down when you don't need the speed, that will also save batteries and give you more ambient light.
    • Auto ISO - Set the limit at 3200. I've always found a properly exposed higher ISO image looks better than under exposed that you try and push in post.
    • Flash on TTL, camera on REAR CURTAIN - Rear curtain fires the flash at the end of the exposure. Sure 1/250 might be fast but a full power pop from the SB-910 is only 1/880 and it only goes down from there (or up depending on how you look at it). An 1/8 power is about 1/10,000 so... The rear curtain will help freeze the subject at the end of the exposure instead of the beginning.
    Check out this on rear curtain, even just the pictures might explain the difference.
    http://neilvn.com/tangents/first-curtain-sync-vs-rear-curtain-sync/

4. newfie

newfie Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2015
    Canada
    Ian
    excellent advise. Thank you very much!